Prize choice and nature's menu.

idefixbis

Visit site
Do any of you use these for your dogs, which products and what do you think of them?
Just asking as I use them quite a bit and was wondering what others thought of them.

idefixbis

Visit site
Yes exactly. 400grams, you get rabbit, lamb, chicken and liver, fish (my don't won't touch it).
They also do freeflow minces in larger bags and chunks.
I think it's good but just wanted other opinions on the quality of the meat.

ihatework

Visit site
Well my dog doesn't complain at the quality
grin.gif

However he is a labrador so anything vaguely edible goes with him!

KarynK

Visit site
Was comparing them the other day when after some tripe.

My 2 cattle dogs are raw fed and I noted on the Natures Menu label "Meat and Vegetables" but I'm always suspicious! So I studied the fine print (ingredients) and was very disapointed when I noted that there were cereals added. As a purist raw feeder that avoids grains at any cost I would not buy it so its Prize choice for me. I personally would not describe grains as a natural diet for a dog.

I use the Prize Choice fish and the tripe as a soft meal occasionally alongside the raw meat and bones from the butcher. I find them very good quality and the dogs like them.

Modern grains are awful things and I myself keep away from them (I have an intollerance to modern wheat), let alone the horses and especially with the dogs.

idefixbis

Visit site
I only feed nature's menu pouches when I'm travelling with my dog in a place where I can't keep any frozen.
I agree with you on the grain that dogs don't need it. I feed a barf diet: chicken wings in the morning and prize choice meat and raw fruit and veg at night. I will however on the odd occasion chuck in a bit of plain rice or pasta if I have made too much for myself. My dog has never shown any allergy to this and it's not on a daily basis.

becca114

Visit site
I started my dog on the BARF diet. She has prize choice and I am quite pleased with them. I bought some miced meat from a local pet supplier(own brand) but it made me feel sick, it smelled awful and was full of all the disgusting bits but I find the prize choice much better quality. I do wonder if for the price of it it is just the waste from the slaughterhouses?

Also Im not having much luck with finding chicken wings. We have tried all our local butchers and they 'dont do chicken wings or bones'. Can the prize choice chunks be fed to small dogs and are they a suitable substitute for fresh bones?

Blythebeck

freewebs.com
AMP who manufacture natures diet, do frozen chicken wings, you would have to order them from your supplier. Tesco also do a value frozen chicken portions or value fresh chicken wings which are good.

KarynK

Visit site
Yep most major supermarkets do chicken wings at very low prices, they are quite soft as well so ideal for smaller dogs.

Yes some local mixes of pet mince are disgusting mixes of fat and offal with a bit of meat chucked in!!!

There is no real substitue for bones in the diet because of the calcium and bone marrow and the teeth cleaning and anal gland emptying properties, for smaller dogs the cartilage end of lamb ribs are good as are the tips og chicken wings or if the butcher does their own chickens the scaly bits of the leg they chop off (gross I know), and chops if you can afford them. I am usually found at the reduced fridge in the supermarket!!!