Prize saddle woe - an update

applecart14

Visit site
Hi

For those of you that may remember I won a brand new saddle through a competition with a major horse publication in October 2012. The saddle, bridle and pad was around £2.2K in total.

To cut a long story short when the saddler came out to take a template the horse was not stood square, and when I attempted to make him stand square the saddle fitter was exasperated and said it wouldn't matter how the horse was stood, the template would be ok. When the saddle was eventually made and the same saddler came back to fit it to the horse, it was just plonked on his back and not even girthed up. I wasn't watched riding in it, days later the horse reacted badly to the saddle and bolted fly bucking around the arena and I ended up falling hard on my back and ended up in A&E. Since then the saddle has been reflocked four times and each time has only worked for a short period before the horse has ended up reacting again and the saddle 'dropping' onto the horses back due to the reflocking not being effective.

The latest time the flocking has gone right down and my physio reported that the saddle had hurt the horses back. The saddle was taken away by the very well known firm of saddlers and reflocked. The horse couldn't be ridden in the saddle when it came back as he had a foot issue, but when he became sound the saddle was even worse than ever (I think it had been overflocked in an attempt to make the flocking last longer) and the horse reacted badly in it immediately. I put on his old saddle and the horse was fine, no swishing, no attempting to put his head down and buck, able to canter in a fairly tight circle without problem, but the old saddle back on immediately, and the same issues occurred again, head down, tail swishing. The horse could not have said any clearer to me that the saddle hurt him so I vowed it would never sit on his back again. I have lost all confidence in the firm that provided it to me and it is up for sale. The saddle is a lovely smart saddle and is sure to fit another horse but will not fit mine. I think the tree is the wrong sort of tree for my horse's shape and no amount of reflocking will remedy that. The tree comes in two sizes; one for short backed horses and one for longer backed horses and I think I have the wrong one!

I have written to the saddler to inform him I want no further dealings with his firm in respect of this saddle (or any other for that matter) and I have informed the magazine of the incompetency of the said firm in case they have anyone else who wins a saddle off this company.

Its such a shame as in between flockings we were jumping metre show jumping tracks without a problem and the horse went very well in it. But its been reflocked four times in ten months with 8 weeks of that with the horse on box rest! Just not on.

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
I'm not surprised you're selling it, that is utterly ridiculous. Good luck with the sale and with finding something more suited to your horse.

Vodkagirly

Visit site
I remember the post when you won it, what a shame it has turned out this way. Hardly a treat. Good job you kept the old saddle.

applecart14

Visit site
I remember the post when you won it, what a shame it has turned out this way. Hardly a treat. Good job you kept the old saddle.

Yes it is a good job! Handy to have something to compare the new saddle against as well.

Took the horse jumping yesterday (hired out an indoor school) and did grid work and jumping in excess of 3ft - fabby in his old saddle. Shows he is not just sore and all saddles are hurting him, as this is just not the case!

I have to admit I am really dissapointed but as I have a GP saddle already I plan to sell this and get a dressage saddle instead (getting too old and fragile to jump much longer) and going to take up affiliated dressage instead. :)

FfionWinnie

Visit site
How very disappointing. I have had very disappointing dealings with the company as well (I remember you winning). Real shame as I thought it was a make I could trust. My saddle fits the horse but does not suit me, despite my needs being very clear when it was ordered.

applecart14

Visit site
How very disappointing. I have had very disappointing dealings with the company as well (I remember you winning). Real shame as I thought it was a make I could trust. My saddle fits the horse but does not suit me, despite my needs being very clear when it was ordered.

That is very interesting FfionWinnie. I have spoken with two other people on my yard who have also reported problems with them. Seems like their aftercare service is dissapointing too from what I have heard.

ihatework

Visit site
I've just skimmed through your previous posts and found the company.

I purchased an £1800 dressage saddle last November from the same company. My horse gradually went downhill. Became very tight/tense over her back. It was reflocked/adjusted twice. Then my physio went over it with a fine tooth comb. She discovered the panels were asymmetric.

The company rep came out, agreed, took the saddle away and had it repanelled. I was given a couple of freebie goods in recompense. While not using the saddle I had a temporary replacement and my mare improved more in that 6 weeks than she had in the prior 6 months.

I then got my saddle back. The mare immediately shut down again.

I lost complete faith in this make of saddle. Thankfully I must give credit to my saddler who gave me a refund.

Wheels

Visit site
I'm glad you have come to this decision in the end. I think there's a lesson in there for the rest of us - if any of us are lucky enough to win a saddle then best to get it checked by someone independant and sell on straight away if necessary

applecart14

Visit site
What makes it worse is that I wrote to the magazine AND the saddlery company on the 30th December by email. I have still not had the courtesy of a reply from either of them some eight days later!

HolsteinersUK

Visit site
Hi,

I know this is quite an old post, however I am just about to invest in a Barnsby Extreme itree and would love to know your thoughts? I am deciding between the Barnsby Extreme (what Mary King rides in) and an Albion Revelation XC...

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
What makes it worse is that I wrote to the magazine AND the saddlery company on the 30th December by email. I have still not had the courtesy of a reply from either of them some eight days later!

Oh gosh.......... this sounds awful OP!

I'll PM you as I would like to know the name of the company: I (think) I might know, as something rings a bell about a magazine "win a saddle" comp, BUT need to be sure.

daveismycat

Visit site
Currently having issues with this company having ordered a saddle via the young horse scheme in November '12. Still waiting for the saddle I ordered and the fitter has left the company. Luckily they have left the 'wrong' saddle with me to use and it seems to fit ok, not that they have been back out to check....

Roody2

Visit site

I sympathise with you wholeheartedly regarding the saddle saga, but tbh it is only 7th Jan and a lot of companies will have had staff off until yesterday (if not closed completely over the Xmas break) so I would cut them some slack on expecting a reply at least until the end of this week.

applecart14

Visit site
I sympathise with you wholeheartedly regarding the saddle saga, but tbh it is only 7th Jan and a lot of companies will have had staff off until yesterday (if not closed completely over the Xmas break) so I would cut them some slack on expecting a reply at least until the end of this week.

Its now the 9th. I chased both. The saddle company said he would 'dig out my email'. That was on the 7th. I have not heard since. The magazine I have chased twice. The second time I have had an email saying the lady was going to call me back. I await her call.

If I were the MD of a company and someone wrote to me with a complaint I would like to think that I would respond immediately, even if its just to say 'thanks I've received your email and will get back to you'.

Last edited:

Lego

Visit site
What a shame - even setting aside your personal experience with them, it's not very good advertising for them to not bother to respond to customers. If I were buying a saddle new, this is the kind of thing that would put me off a brand - aftercare is as important as the product...

Fingers crossed it all works out for you and your horse with no lasting problems xx

suzi

Visit site
Given the inklings I have picked up regarding the company I am not surprised that you are struggling to get a reply.

They had a team of independent saddle fitters that they have laid off (I believe totally) and so recently have only been operating the trade side of things.

Their saddles used to be lovely - I have an old one I got via a saddler but I've heard more mixed things about their newer ranges.

Templebar

Visit site
Sorry only recently seen this, could someone please pm me the company, I have had bad experiences before and would not like to go through it again.

daveismycat

Visit site
Given the inklings I have picked up regarding the company I am not surprised that you are struggling to get a reply.

They had a team of independent saddle fitters that they have laid off (I believe totally) and so recently have only been operating the trade side of things.

This is interesting. As said earlier in the thread I ordered a saddle in November 2012 via the young horse scheme and I am still waiting. They delivered a saddle in March 2013 in the wrong colour which they admitted was their fault and said I could keep, until my new one in the correct colour was made. I am still waiting.

Seriously unimpressed.

Seems the person I have been in previous contact with may've left the company hence why my last emails have been ignored. Letter to the MD next I think.

suzi

Visit site
This is interesting. As said earlier in the thread I ordered a saddle in November 2012 via the young horse scheme and I am still waiting. They delivered a saddle in March 2013 in the wrong colour which they admitted was their fault and said I could keep, until my new one in the correct colour was made. I am still waiting.

Seriously unimpressed.

Seems the person I have been in previous contact with may've left the company hence why my last emails have been ignored. Letter to the MD next I think.

I would. ..I'd start really jumping up and down if I'd be waiting that long!

Hope you get it sorted quickly.