Pro competes your horse: what do you do with the winnings?

SuPeRtRaMp123

Visit site
It's in the question really, I'm going to get a professional to showjump my horse to keep her going while I'm too busy with work. Just wondering what the deal is with winnings?

I may be being a bit presumptuous!

The horse lives with me and I'll be paying a fee for the rider to compete.

PorkChop

Visit site
It's whatever the two of you decide on - I would ask the pro how they currently deal with winnings with the other horses they compete. When I had my horse with a pro, they kept the winnings, because this is what was agreed.

Shay

Visit site
If the horse is at the Pro's yard it is normal for them to keep the winnings. But if it is at your yard and at your expense then there might be more leeway as the winnings go to the cost of upkeep / entry fees etc.

ihatework

Visit site
There is no hard and fast rule, it really depends on how much you are being charged for the pro to ride etc.
FWIW, the eventers I know generally keep the first £X and the remainder goes to owner.

SuPeRtRaMp123

Visit site
Ah ok. Yeah I imagined I would need to have a chat with her but I wanted to get and idea of what was reasonable.

I will pay entry, and transport my mare there and back and pay the riding fee?

popsdosh

Visit site
Ah ok. Yeah I imagined I would need to have a chat with her but I wanted to get and idea of what was reasonable.

I will pay entry, and transport my mare there and back and pay the riding fee?

You need to negotiate the riding fee down as low as possible and let them keep all the winnings that way you know they are always trying ! That may sound unfair but from experience you soon get told the truth about the horses potential.

SuPeRtRaMp123

Visit site
So how to the top riders run it with their owners? When they are competing for £250,000, how do they owners make any money if the rider keeps the winnings?

popsdosh

Visit site
So how to the top riders run it with their owners? When they are competing for £250,000, how do they owners make any money if the rider keeps the winnings?

Obviously things change as you go up the levels but I think you are getting a bit ahead of yourself. If the rider hasd no incentive to win they have more reason to keep a horse going competing even if it has no talent.
Who keeps horses with pros expecting them to make money lol.

gunnergundog

Visit site
Obviously things change as you go up the levels but I think you are getting a bit ahead of yourself. If the rider hasd no incentive to win they have more reason to keep a horse going competing even if it has no talent.

Another way of looking at it though is, assuming it is a young horse, do you want it blasted against the clock in the smaller classes to pick up the odd £20 to £50. Depends on the horse and why the OP wants it competed by a Pro......could be just to establish and make safe for them to take over the ride, in which case they may not want it jumped out of the lower grades.

Every case is different....talk to your rider!

SuPeRtRaMp123

Visit site
Thanks Gunnergundog.

Yeah I clearly wasn't referring to my own horse, I was just interested in what riders and owners actually do at top level.

I just want my rider to build up my mare's experience and keep her ticking over so I definatey don't want her blasted around.

Does anyone else use a rider but keep their horse at home?

Every now and then I think about just moving her to the Rider's yard. At the moment I have her and and her loan companion at our own yard with a groom, so it would cost the same to put her on livery. Anybody got views on the pros and cons of doing your own thing (bliss) or moving to a full livery?

LizzieRC1313

Visit site
It's in the question really, I'm going to get a professional to showjump my horse to keep her going while I'm too busy with work. Just wondering what the deal is with winnings?

I may be being a bit presumptuous!

The horse lives with me and I'll be paying a fee for the rider to compete.

I do this, my instructor events my horse for me. Last summer they did 3 BE80s, 2 unaff and 1 aff, and came 3rd twice and won one. I kept all the prizes e.g. saddle pads, bandages, rosettes etc and he keeps the money. Makes it an expensive business but as they are doing all the work I guess it makes sense!

LizzieRC1313

Visit site
Ah ok, that's actually a really good way of doing it! Guess ill just talk to her.

Lizzie do you compete a bit yourself too?

Yeh I do, it's a bit of a partnership between my instructor and I. I'm relatively inexperienced and my horse is green so my instructor gives the horse a positive, confidence building experience and then I undo it all!! He also competes him at a level above me, so hopefully he'll do some BE90s with him This summer & I'll do BE80. I love being an owner/groom, much easier!!

Rosiefan

Visit site

You're very cynical popsdosh but I guess you have your reasons :). I can only tell any of Rosie's owners that she never leaves the warm-up without the intention of winning no matter who gets the prize money and she is also completely open with owners regarding her opinion of their horse's ability. I'd like to think the majority of pros have similar ethics although I may be wrong :(

LizzieRC1313

Visit site
Yay! This is exactly the sort of thing I want to set up. It sounds like it works really well too!

You're very cynical popsdosh but I guess you have your reasons :). I can only tell any of Rosie's owners that she never leaves the warm-up without the intention of winning no matter who gets the prize money and she is also completely open with owners regarding her opinion of their horse's ability. I'd like to think the majority of pros have similar ethics although I may be wrong :(

It does work well for me but I have a good relationship with my pro (ex 4 star eventer, was retired till I dragged him out and now he has a few rides but all for fun) and he is totally professional. I would only want to pay someone like this really, I can't speak for show jumping as it's not really my area but I know around here a lot of people teach dressage but they only have 1 horse at a reasonably high level and I wouldn't necessarily describe them as 'professionals', not to say they aren't very good riders. My instructor has dealt with owners for years, everything is totally clear with him, and I know he loves my horse and wants to do as well as possible, but equally he's not kidding me we could get him to badminton!! I'd say if someone needs a bizarre financial arrangement in order for them to be honest/not try for you & your horse, they aren't the right person to be paying.

popsdosh

Visit site

Brought about by years of experience, only came across two pros who were ever totally straight with me about a horse out of many I have dealt with both eventing and racing.
One of them was indeed Rosie . Please feel assured my youngsters when old enough are only going one place!

Honesty means a lot when you leave your horse with somebody else but I think over the years you get to know when you are getting bull****

Bedlam

Visit site
I have a pro competing my horse. We split prize money and the horse keeps any prizes in kind - rugs etc.. I pay everything including a rider fee at comps. I get the rosettes and cups. It goes without saying that I would have no chance of getting any of these if I rode my own horse.......and I'd be ruining a damn good horse to boot! :)

JAMESTOWN

Visit site
My daughter events her own horses and for owners. If the horse is kept with us, a 'rider fee' including competitions is incorporated within their livery. If the horses are kept with their owners, she charges a fee everytime she rides them plus a rider fee at competitions. In both instances the owners pay all expenses and the prize money is split 50/50.

Riders seem to do a lot better these days! In the dim and distant past when I evented professionally myself, the owners used to get all the prize money - it was at their discretion whether or not to give a 'present'.

Rosiefan

Visit site
Brought about by years of experience, only came across two pros who were ever totally straight with me about a horse out of many I have dealt with both eventing and racing.
One of them was indeed Rosie . Please feel assured my youngsters when old enough are only going one place!

Honesty means a lot when you leave your horse with somebody else but I think over the years you get to know when you are getting bull****

Thanks for this but how sad that you've been let down so often :(

popsdosh

Visit site
Thanks for this but how sad that you've been let down so often :(
First of all over the moon to see Rosie back flying around Cottenham!!!
Yes it is sad but pro riders inevitably make money by having their stables full of paying horses and competing them. Sometimes reality gets blurred to be charitable to them. Luckily I can see myself when things arent right but some inexperienced owners cannot.

Last edited: