Probably a question with no answer......

S_N

Visit site
..... How to increase the muscle tone and weight of a broodmare, WITHOUT feeding too much protein due to foal growing at an exhorbitant rate of notts?? Also foal could have better coverage over his ribs, but otherwise VERY muscley!! Both have been regularly wormed - will be worming them again on Monday prior to move to new yard. We have some shows/events coming up and they could look a little more furnished, BUT due to the speed at which H is growing, I am VERY wary about overfeeding B or him for that matter - he's only on hay/grass/milk and he's HUMONGOUS!!! About 14hh now!! I don't want to encourage any joint problems and would rather he was on the lean side..... Any ideas??

B on July 2nd
Sun2ndJuly002.jpg

B July 9th
Sun9thJuly001.jpg

Hector July 12th
Wednesday12thJuly004.jpg

Irishcobs

Visit site
Very hard question but the only thing I can think of is a big grassy field on a hill. The hill will build up the muscle and the grass with put some weight on, without the protein. Other than that I have no idea, sorry.

Bossanova

Visit site
Omg Ibel, look at the length of those cannons!!!
You do realise he is going to be HUGE!!!!
ooo.gif
crazy.gif

Ummm dont know the answer to your question though I'm afraid, we weaned ours early as she was doing way too well off her mummy. B's looking well though, maybe just add in a bit more oil to her diet? I'm no expert on these things though!!

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
For weight - Spillers (or if you have a cornwall farmers near you get their brand, much cheaper!) hi-fibre cubes (or super cool fibre cubes in the case of cornwall farmers), soak in hot water until they are like a porridge, add to feed with plenty of soya oil.
laugh.gif

We had an ancient, emaciated horse at my old yard, he had no teeth and could only et certain lengths (I can't remember how to spell that word!!
crazy.gif
) of grass (which wasn't around in the middle of winter) and we got him really nice and fat in the middle of winter on that mixed with 16+ and moli chaff

S_N

Visit site
At least there will be grass where they are going to - they will be on 1/3 or an acre to start with - strip grazzing will be the order of the day me thinks!

S_N

Visit site
LOL - I know! I did that string test and he's gonna be around 17hh, or a fraction under!!!

Well I wondered about the oil thing - veg/sunflower oil though, not soya or linseed as too musch protein right?

S_N

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Oh, and as for muscle tone...........Strapping

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I need to get fit
grin.gif
Why didn't I think of that?? Probably the weather
grin.gif

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Oh, and as for muscle tone...........Strapping

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I need to get fit
grin.gif
Why didn't I think of that?? Probably the weather
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It's always the simple things that you never think of which is where I come in handy............I can do simple very well
grin.gif

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
I like Irish Cob's idea of better keep (NO offence meant by that at all, I know how hard it is when a livery, so don't shout at me!) especially if on a slight slope;there's nothing like Dr Green to improve condition and the work on the slope would make a lot of difference to muscle tone too; then you would not have to feed B at all except for her vits and min's, which seems harsh, but what is worse? Her getting a bit light which will soon be remedied when they are weaned or H getting lifetime problems with his joints simply cos she is doing him so well? You can hardly put a muzzle on him - then again, knowing you, you could! but simply because as soon as you removed it, he'd top up with great slurps at the milk bar so defeating the object!

I know which I would choose every time but I understand that she isn't exactly in show condition which is a shame although at the same time judges should take into account the time of year now and how hard the mares have had to work supplying big foals like him, but if you came up againgst one in better nick cos it hasn't put everything into the foal as she has, then you'd be up the creek without a paddle for sure; only consolation being he is so scrumptious he should do well in his foal class to make up for it. I'm stiill a fan of Blue Chip for times like these; very little needed and they still get all the vit's and min's they need without filling them, perhaps you could start him on it or similar, you'd know then he wouldn't be lacking anything from his diet.

allijudd

Visit site
isz....if i remeber rightly dc should have one of those muscle toney buzzey machines...(if you want the lazy route that is!......)

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
It depends on the reason for feeding more feed. If you are showing her then yest agree she could do with more condition. However, if you're not - then she looks fine.

The show BM at my yard is fed three times a day on:

2x stud mix
1x cool mix
Alfa
2 x blue chip (once a day)
Oil

She would be about a hand bigger than your mare and a medium weight hunter type.

As for muscle tone - absolutely strapping - all over her backside and neck.

With regards Hector - maybe it's time to be putting his own little feed up - and holding him whilst mum eats hers and he eats his. That way he still gets his grub, but not too much.

He really does look fantastic by the way
smile.gif

S_N

Visit site
I totaly hear what you are saying AM, but that is precisely the kind of diet I want to avoid! H is growing far too fast, IMO, as it is - hence the question on here. Thank you for your input though!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I totaly hear what you are saying AM, but that is precisely the kind of diet I want to avoid! H is growing far too fast, IMO, as it is - hence the question on here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hence my comment

[ QUOTE ]
With regards Hector - maybe it's time to be putting his own little feed up - and holding him whilst mum eats hers and he eats his. That way he still gets his grub, but not too much.

[/ QUOTE ]
wink.gif
wink.gif

horsesrock

New User
Visit site
I think mummy looks fab for a brood mare. She certainly doesn't need anymore weight on her and as for muscle tone you have to bear in mind that she isn't obviously working so the muscle tone will never be the same as if she were.
Yes strapping might well help but like i said she looks fab!