Probably a silly question... hairnets!

TheFizzPony

Visit site
I am competing next week (something I have not done much of!) in dressage and showjumping. Previously I have worn my hair in a bun and popped a hairnet on top and it sort of looked ok. But now I have a new hat (Charles Owen one with the low padded bit at the back) where I have to wear my hair in a really low ponytail.

The short of it is- how should I wear my hairnet?

Shay

Visit site
Get a rider hairnet (They are more heavy duty than normal ones..) and pull it on like a shower cap. Tuck all the hair into the lower part and put your hat on top - done. If you have lots or hair, it is heavy or otherwise has a mind of its own you can put a scrunchie around it, on top of the lower "bag" section of hair to help contain it a bit and stop it dribbling out of the bottom of the net.

Kikke

Visit site
My show CO helmet is also low in the back. I tie my hair in a very low ponytails, put my hairnet over and then bunch it up again. Tidy and out of the way.

Hexx

Visit site
Tip for a snug hairnet.

Put all your hair into it, making sure you have the seam end at the front of the head - pull the net forward to stretch it and tie a knot in it close to the head - this makes the hairnet tight and holds the hair much more securely. Then when you put your hairnet on, you can put the knot at the back under your hair, or at the front under your hat - whichever is more comfortable.

smja

Visit site
I have a similar hat, with low padding. I do a low ponytail, then use a donut to form a bun. Held in place with hairband, hairnet over the top and twisted/wrapped over the bun so you end up with a big bun but a gap between bun and head, IYSWIM? Padding fills in the gap, looks smart :)

Nugget La Poneh

Visit site
Always done it so that put my hair in a bun (wrapped round pony tail as is long enough), put on the hairnet and then the hat. Pull the band and bun out (like you trying to pull the bun off your head) and then wrap a scrunchie round it. Worked with my CO Wellington, and also my Gatehouse.

TheFizzPony

Visit site
Thank you everyone, I have just spent the last 20 minute trying to coerce my hair into a net and it managed to look ok. Hopefully I can do the same tomorrow when I am actually competing!

Notimetoride

Visit site
Thank you everyone, I have just spent the last 20 minute trying to coerce my hair into a net and it managed to look ok. Hopefully I can do the same tomorrow when I am actually competing!

Getting your hair in a hair net on competition day (and worse if it's a cold windy day) is far more difficult that the competition itself. There should be an entire class based on 'hair net putting on'. Ha ha ha. Last time I gave up and stuck it in a low pony tail but luckily it's just a bob so I got away with it

AandK

Visit site
I always put my hair in the net, put hat on and then tie it up. Would not have room for a bun with my hat (sits low at the back).

TheFizzPony

Visit site
Thank you everyone! Hair decided to go into the net today :) my problem is that I have very thick hair all one length and medium length which doesn't like going into a bun at the best of times! I definitely couldn't get it all under my hat!

Sophire

Visit site
I have long hair, although probably only medium thickness. Getting it in there is definitely an art. The CO Wellington Classic is the best hat for it, although it's with some difficulty I get it in my CO GR8.