Probably done death sorry - but.

mandy4727

Visit site
I havent had chance to read any previous posts regarding this so apologies in advance. I have the vet coming doing my 4 year old Welsh Section D jabs mid May so will ask them then. But in the meantime. Never had a horse with sweet itch in all 34 years of owning horses but had friends who have had horses with it. My mare seem to be itching lot on her mane on the door casing of stable and has rubbed her mane, she still has a lot left but you can see where the h air has broken off down the centre of her mane. so the lower part and upper part looking along the mane are still in tack. No scabs, no blood etc. Any suggestions on how to help her please.

Celtic Fringe

Visit site
There is plenty of advice around about this, and all horses seem quite individual about what works. We have tried lots of things with my elderly Welsh D but the things that seems to work well are - NOT bathing him, rubbing the non-scented version of Neutrogena Norwegian formula hand cream into his mane and dock. This keeps his skin supple and much less itchy -the main ingredients are water and glycerine and it doesn't leave a sticky residue like some sweet-itch lotions. I got a load on a three-for-two offer last year! We also keep him well covered with a good bug-buster rug and a fly mask. He lives out 24/7 (HATES being in) and previously had a field shelter which he managed to partly demolish by pushing his whole weight against the main supports. We have not replaced the shelter so less opportunities to itch - but he does have a good scratch and groom with his friends and under a couple of low branches - but not enough to cause damage to his skin. Good luck - it is not an easy condition to manage.