probably will get jumped on but ....

horseandshoes77

Visit site
my youngster seems to be settled and comfortable in a Waterford hanging cheek.... so we have tried ns verbindend...team up....myler...French link in eggbut and loose ring, also tried nathe straight bar, happy mouth in all variations, also a Pelham, well she fusses and throws bit around in mouth and tries to get tongue over bit etc... not pleasant when hacking etc...out of desperation decided the only bit I hadn't tried was the Waterford.... 3 hacks and one schooling session in..she reaches forward, shes still in her mouth, shes responsive with the slightest contact all great, also has that nice bit of lubrication just a little bit froth etc ...happy mum..but whats making her happy?? as this bit is not dressage legal what can I substitute this with ?? what about the Waterford does she prefer ???

thanks all

only have choc buttons !!

windand rain

Visit site
Wont get jumped on by me my young horse is exactly the same we school in a hanging cheek waterford and quickly switch to a hanging cheek french link for dressage but even so she still goes better in the waterford than anything else As to why I guess it is because she cant lean and can play with it in her mouth she has fleshy lips and tongue so the gentle mobile curve the full length of the bit seems to suit her. I dont really know why it wouldnt be dressage legal but I wish it was after all it isnt the bit that is the issue but the hands on the other end of the reins

MegaBeast

Visit site
I won't jump on you but have a dressage legal bit suggestion. My youngster gets jumped in s Waterford which he also goes sweetly on the flat in. Having tried several NS snaffle bits and also some other jointed snaffles I put him in a Mullen Nathe bit which he has totally accepted, doesn't lean on it and is generally lovely.

The other evening I put the NS lozenge back in and he felt heavy in the hand and behind the leg. Swapped the Nathe back in (same session) and he was lovely again.

Boysy

Visit site
My lad liked the Waterford as well, I dressage in NS Verbindend but have also tried a hanging cheek salox mix lozenge and he really likes that too. She probably likes how smooth the balls feel in her mouth plus the Waterford sits nicely and curves so the lozenge may be an option as it has the smooth ball shape in the middle?

Puffin

Visit site
I've known several horses over the years that go very well in a waterford, they tend to be warmblood types with thick tongues and low roof of the mouth. The waterford curves to fit over the tongue without poking into the roof of the mouth the way less jointed bits do (even frnch link/losenge ones do, just to a lesser extent)
I'd suggest something mullen mouthed too, so it follows the curve.

tinap

Visit site
Our old boy was happy as Larry in a Waterford. The only bit he would tolerate enough for dressage was a copper snaffle with a lozenge. He was a nightmare in anything with a single joint xx

Mavis007

Visit site
Have you tried a happy mouth Mullen hanging cheek? Someone on here suggested it and my WB is much less fussy in his mouth and doesn't stick his tongue out as much but I would never have thought it would be any good without the suggestion!

horseandshoes77

Visit site
Hi thanks for all the replies.

Yes I have tried a happy mouth hanging cheek along with the French link aswell but she fusses, constantly opening her mouth etc....shes wb x so yes has large tongue and small mouth so maybe it is the fact that she has more room with the wf, although the ns bits i have used have all had the thinner mouthpiece.

will try some of the suggestions and do you think its a good idea to school in this bit though or should i be schooling in a bit i would use for a test ?

thanks

sarahann1

Visit site
My little cob had a very fussy mouth, after trying a few things, the only bit that he settled and went well in was a happy mouth, it was this one http://www.rideaway.co.uk/happy-mouth-centre-revolver-loose-ring

Gave me the movement in the mouth piece I needed to get him listening and was soft enough that he accepted it well. The difference was amazing, he went from throwing his head constantly to still straightaway.

Tash88

Visit site
Interesting and useful thread as I am in the same predicament, although I am just starting to try dressage legal bits on my horse (WB x TB, in a fult cheek copper waterford at the moment and going beautifully), I need to hurry up because I have my first dressage competition in just over a month! He seems to like something to play with in his mouth so I think I'll try the happy mouth bit that Sarahann recommended (thanks!) and see how he goes. Will try riding him in his lunging bit first though, a french link with a copper piece in the middle as he is already used to that.

Cheiro1

Visit site
Have you tried a hanging cheek myler? Nice and thin but still smooth and my quirky dressage horse gave me a lovely feel in this :)

horseandshoes77

Visit site
My little cob had a very fussy mouth, after trying a few things, the only bit that he settled and went well in was a happy mouth, it was this one http://www.rideaway.co.uk/happy-mouth-centre-revolver-loose-ring

Gave me the movement in the mouth piece I needed to get him listening and was soft enough that he accepted it well. The difference was amazing, he went from throwing his head constantly to still straightaway.

thanks will def give it a try :)