Probiotic for horse with colic tendency

rosie gall

Visit site
Hi, I have a really super Welsh Section D mare that seems to have a tendency to get a low level colic. I had to call the vet this week and she was settled with an injection but she still seems to be yawning a lot and having the odd roll. I can see that she's not quite right. The vet said I should put her on a probiotic but there are so many out there to choose from. I know there is also something called Pink Powder. Any advice please greatly received.
She is currently on her own, has been fine but not so settled in the last 10 days. She is also in season this week :confused:

be positive

Visit site
Protexin would be a better option than pink powder but if she is getting frequent bouts of colic trying to find the cause would be best, if she is stressed from being alone she may have ulcers which can cause colic, or the colic if from another cause could contribute to her having ulcers, either way having company would be the obvious way to help her relax.

https://www.equinepremium.com/

rosie gall

Visit site
Protexin would be a better option than pink powder but if she is getting frequent bouts of colic trying to find the cause would be best, if she is stressed from being alone she may have ulcers which can cause colic, or the colic if from another cause could contribute to her having ulcers, either way having company would be the obvious way to help her relax.

https://www.equinepremium.com/
Thank you very much, you have confirmed my thinking I guess and the Vet said a similar thing- though not about getting her some company! As it happens my friend is likely to have a pony who is loosing his companion (pts) next week so this might work for me - though not sure how settled he will be to start with. So complicated.

Returning to the ulcers thing, maybe just better to cut to the chase and get her on a course of gastroguard - ouch though so expensive! Alternative would be to run a full set of bloods - the less expensive first option! She is a pretty sensitive soul, but so lush and does give amazing cuddles x

be positive

Visit site
I would wait before using GG as you have the option of company which may be all she needs to relax, use the probiotics and see how she is, I had one scoped that I was convinced had ulcers, he had several symptoms so we could have spent a fortune on GG but he didn't have them so a slight change of diet was made anyway and the symptoms went away, they may well have gone with using GG and we would have thought it confirmed he had them which was not the case.

What are you feeding her? it may be that something does not suit, it is worth looking at her diet and possibly making some changes.

Mister Ted

Visit site
Hi, I have a really super Welsh Section D mare that seems to have a tendency to get a low level colic. I had to call the vet this week and she was settled with an injection but she still seems to be yawning a lot and having the odd roll. I can see that she's not quite right. The vet said I should put her on a probiotic but there are so many out there to choose from. I know there is also something called Pink Powder. Any advice please greatly received.
She is currently on her own, has been fine but not so settled in the last 10 days. She is also in season this week :confused:
Hilton Herbs have Gastric X Plus for digestive support. Is her teeth possibly needing checked.? A sharp tooth can affect her eating without it being noticed too much. I think being on her own must be causing some stress whether she shows it outwardly,it may be affecting her digestive system.Being herd animals they are most content with their own kind for company.

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
Returning to the ulcers thing, maybe just better to cut to the chase and get her on a course of gastroguard - ouch though so expensive! x
My friends horse was scoped last week and whilst the vets where there looking at the screen I asked if I could have a nose, they were very accommodating and I found it really interesting. I started asking questions and they were really nice and answered my questions. I then asked if it were true what I'd heard about the price of Gastroguard and it was correct, its between £400- £600 per week for a minimum of 6 weeks and the vet said you could be looking at a period of up to 3 months depending on the severity of the ulcers. So only useful if you have insurance and are covered (unless you are super rich).

There are cheaper things on the market that will settle ulcers although they won't cure them so it might be worth asking the vet about these first before plunging in with Gastroguard. And of course giving the horse hay or a small chaff based feed before exercise might be worth while as this will absorb any acid splashback in the stomach.

be positive

Visit site
It should not be £4-600, you can buy it with a prescription £259 for 2 weeks supply on viovet at the moment, still expensive but cheaper than buying through the vets and will still be on insurance.

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
It should not be £4-600, you can buy it with a prescription £259 for 2 weeks supply on viovet at the moment, still expensive but cheaper than buying through the vets and will still be on insurance.
Thanks for sharing that BP. I will let my friend know this also as she is thinking of getting some for her horse.