problem pony

R_Owen

Visit site
My sister purchased a new horse about a month ago. She viewed him twice he was forward but we'll behaved. We've had him about a month now, he's had a few good days but many bad. He's been bucking, rearing and bolting refusing to do things that my rising 4 year old doesn't think twice about. He has no manners and has barged me out of the stable almost crushing me and crushed me against the stable wall.

My horse has just had an operation so will be off work for quiet some time. Although I'm too big I've agreed to ride him for a little while to see how he goes. He's had a saddle fitted to him, his teeth have been checked and will be filled soon but vet seems to think they are ok.

He's used to country lanes. I don't think he likes the area, very hilly mountains and forestry horse steps that they have to walk over. He refuses to go over most one or two he might go over one day and refuses the next. Previous owners have said he's never done anything like this.

Any ideas? Worried about selling him encase he causes an accident.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Horses that are used to flat areas may not have the necessary fitness to cover the same distance over more difficult terrain. Try smallish circular hacks, with another horse if possible, if that isn't possible then take him out in hand and watch how he moves over the steep hills, does he use his hind end, or is he trying to pull himself along? Make sure he behaves as you want him to, when you are on the ground, he is in a strange place, with strange people and needs to know that you know what you are doing for him to trust you, otherwise he may well try and look after himself.
Take his feed back to forage only and make sure he has as much turn out as possible.