Problems after castration

Beckie65

Visit site
Has anyone else had an problems? i had my colt done at 2:30 today, open wound apparently they don't stitch anymore. The vet left about half 4 after the procedure and sedation was wearing off, 15 minutes into leaving a swelling started it was the size of a large apple and was going dark red / black, phoned vet back and he came out again (hour and a half later from the call), meanwhile was going darker, he had 2 blood clots, had to be cut open and drained and then stitched with drains. Im starting to worry tho i don't want anything else to go wrong. healing vibes needed :( x

micki

Visit site
Poor boy. I hope he heals well. Hope the drains work and he has no more swelling.
The only problem i had is my boy started to swell a week after being done, the vet came out and gave him some antibiotics and he was fine after a couple of days.

Dottie

Visit site
How old is he? I would give the vet a call and txt these photos to him/her to be honest. The first few hours after castration is when things can happen. Good luck. X

LittleBlackMule

Visit site
That does look a messy job, I would be quizzing the vet as to exactly why that has happened.

Not stitching is normal as it aids draining, but I would be concerned at so much material hanging out.
In the meantime he needs to move around, nothing strenuous just gentle wandering around, otherwise he is likely to swell up even more.

doriangrey

Visit site
Ouchee! The only thing I can say is that we never castrated at this time of year because of flies .... but that doesn't seem to be the problem at all. You did the right thing getting the vet back out. It looks like a testicle emerging and nothing like anything I have experienced with 3 being cut - blimey I hope they did it right!

Beckie65

Visit site
I sent theses pic's to the vet, and he was worried about a prolapse but thankfully it was 2 clots not ideal I know but better than a prolapse as it can be fatal, its all gone now its been cut out,n flushed and stitched and drains put in, I've never seen anything like it in my life, got to phone the vet again tomorrow morning to let him know how pony is x

Beckie65

Visit site
Littleblackmule, his responce was its always a possibility with the procedure that complications could arise, but to be honest I've been putting it off for a while as I had a gut feeling things were going to go wrong x

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Ask vet for 2nd opinion - asap if you can (tonight!), ask the vet to double check the lad hasn't hernia'd through the incision.
It does happen - rare, but not nice.

Please update as soon as you hear back - good luck

SultanaRama

Visit site
Oh dear! I had my percheron yearling cut 10 days ago and we never had anything like this, we left him to come round a bit and turned him out straight away. We where worried about flies but the vet didn't seem too worried said the flies are worse in stables 9 days of antibiotics and he is healing really well.

How is looking now?! Poor boy :(

Tnavas

Visit site
That looks like a hernia - definitely get a second opinion.

Last one I had done closed up fast and filled with fluid inside - vet came back and stuck finger in the wound and out poured masses of fluid

From all the horses I've had gelded I've never seen vets stitch anything

Coblover63

Visit site
Gosh, how scary for you. Glad that he's been sorted now and hope he continues to heal well.

I had my boy done back in March, the first laying down one I've seen (my previous ones have been done standing) and the vet told me that it IS a risky operation. Just because it is done routinely, doesn't mean that it is easy.

Thankfully my lad was fine with no post-op complications - I have to say that both the previous two had post-op infections so although it was stressful watching Boo crashing to the ground when anasthetised - and then fighting to stand again before he was alert enough to be allowed to - my experience is that the laying-down one did a better job!

Beckie65

Visit site
Hi just an update he seems much better today, swollen to be expected, but thankfully no more problems, here's a pic of now x

racebuddy

Visit site
Evening has ur vet been back out ' there still seems to be a lot of oozing amd bits dangling but msybe just amgle of pic, !!!

Beckie65

Visit site
Yes vet has been out again just to check everything was well, he has stopped dripping blood now, now got to just keep an eye on him give him his antibiotics and bute and heal x

Coblover63

Visit site
Gosh, I'm surprised it is still so weepy after 48 hours. That is still proper bright fresh blood isn't it? He's really had a bunch of complications, poor little man.....

HBM1

Visit site
I would have fainted clean away had that been my boy. Very pleased to hear he is on the mend.