problems selling 3 year old, anyone else??

Tamba

Visit site
I know this is just a general moan, and yes, i have placed an ad in the horse and hound,
but I cant sell my lovely three year old, lightly backed hanoverian x thbred filly. SHe standing at just 15.2 hh, at the min. what does anyone think of this picture?
Good or bad, for selling

LiveryList

www.*******.co.uk
Cant see the picture but i always think the best pictures for adverts are of the horse over a jump or in motion. Pictures of a horse standing still show the build and confirmation but little else. Just a good picture of the horse from the side doing something should suffice!

Regarding problems selling i know youngsters or horses needing schooling are not really selling at the moment as the market is flooded so people are getting such good prices for established horses and ponies that this is obviously more advantageous for them than buying something untapped that needs bringing on.

Tamba

Visit site
thanks, might change the photo, after what you said. Its such a shame that things are like this, £2500, does that sound steep to you, for a horse that is just lightly backed, but she has good bloodlines, inc Rubinstein, I feel any less and I would be giving her away?

LiveryList

www.*******.co.uk
I also have a 3yo lightly (literally just :) ) backed well-bred TB mare standing at 15.2hh. Not that i would sell her but it has crossed my mind. However i would want around the same money for her as you are asking for yours but do not think i would get it. If my mare were further established with her schooling and education, as in walk, trot, canter in an outline, hacking out all paces and done polework and small jumps under saddle i would want around £4500 for her at least so you seem around the right mark for what your mare is compared to what you are asking for her. However, if you look around it is ridiculous what sort of horses you can get for that sort of budget as some people are so desperate to sell so as much as i would be asking that for her i dont think i would get it which i why i dont intend to sell :) Hope that makes sense :)

Tamba

Visit site
thanks, thats interesting,, its funny, as someone offered me £1500, and I thought hard about whether I should just accept it !! Its hard to know what to do !

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
All of my last year's 3 year olds went pretty quickly - none left by January this year. Haven't started on this year's 3 year olds yet as just getting them backed, but already getting enquiries. The only thing I'm having trouble with at present is the younger horses (1s and 2s)

If she's a good example of the breed, you may well be advertising her too cheap!

Tamba

Visit site
I dont know what to do, as I really need to sell her, I have just too many!!! Please can you take a look at my link, and see what you think, I think shes lovely, but Im bias!!,
Any thing you note re. comformation??? Thanks to all !!!!!!!!!

Tiaki

Visit site
Nothing is selling at the moment, not locally to me anyway. I am trying to sell one of my section A ponies. Super chap, proper allrounder who has been there done that, reasonably priced and open to offers but nothing :(

xxx

LiveryList

www.*******.co.uk
The advert seems okay but if it were me i would change the picture to a ridden one of her (the picture you have doesn't seem to do her justice as she is not stood square and its not quite side on). I woudl also change the wording to something similar to as follows:

Competition Prospect

3yo Black Filly with Rubeinstein lines. Lightly backed. Quick learning, intelligent mare. Easy to do in all respects. Very affectionate, loyal horse. Good confirmation and paces. Would make fantastic competition mare. Good home only.

... or something like that!

:) :) :)

Tamba

Visit site
The advert seems okay but if it were me i would change the picture to a ridden one of her (the picture you have doesn't seem to do her justice as she is not stood square and its not quite side on). I woudl also change the wording to something similar to as follows:

Competition Prospect

3yo Black Filly with Rubeinstein lines. Lightly backed. Quick learning, intelligent mare. Easy to do in all respects. Very affectionate, loyal horse. Good confirmation and paces. Would make fantastic competition mare. Good home only.

... or something like that!

:) :) :)
thanks, thats really helpful, will have to get some fresh snaps, and hopefully she will get a nice new home!

rowy

Visit site
I'm trying to sell my 3 year old exmoor with no success. Though I have only had her up for just over a week so far. I am selling for the same reason, no time for my 2 dressage horses.

If I was looking for a horse similar to yours, I would want a picture of its paces, or even a video, especially if it would be a good dressage horse.

Silver

Visit site
Same here have a 3 yr old filly with excellent show jumping lines. She is backed and great to do in all ways. Tried low price and higher not a single call. So will prob keep her

Bethie

Visit site
Sorry this is going to sound harsh but the pic makes you look amateurish and the mare too expensive (as she doesn't look as good as she could). I want to see a confo shot as the main pic - no tack, stood up square, turned out nicely, shot taken clear on from the side (not slightly to the front or back). Before you get the camera out again, I'd sort out her mane and if she will accept it plait her up for the photo session. Practice making her stand square - she looks like she's got poor front and back leg conformation at the minute with all her legs right underneath her so I wouldn't pick up the phone to see her. I'd just have her in a smart headcollar or a bridle that actually shows off her head. I'd also add a video clip or two of her moving - loose schooling/jumping to see her actually move and possibly under saddle if she's balanced enough yet for that to actually be a plus for the ad.

Dexter

Visit site
What Bethie said. I'm sure shes a lovely mare, and black which people like. But if i was paying 2.5k in this climate I'd want something super smart, and that photo doesnt make your mare look like that. Shes also a tad on the small side for alot of people, and some people consider Scotland to be as far away as Australia :D In this case its especially important your pics and ad are spot on :)

wonkey_donkey

Visit site
I buy and sell a few young horses (for producing not as a dealer) and if you are asking for opinions mine would be that;

She is on the small side for most

The photo is no good at all

She is half TB

You are in Scotland

All of the above put the average punter off I'm afriad.

In the current market I would have snatched the £1,500 offered!

Chez

Visit site
I sold one a couple of weeks back but she had been on the market for a few months. I was in no rush to sell so held out on price, turned away the numpties and found her a lovely home in the end. The right person is out there you just need patience if you don't want to drop the price.

Trinity Fox

Visit site
I also bring on horses to sell i would not take £1500 for her i get that for nice ponies just backed.
I am in the borders and we get loads of people coming from scotland right up north as they say there is little for sale up there, so you should not have a problem selling.

You may as well have the horse untacked for a nice side on pic as the one you have, i would also have a ridden pic i would remove the competitive home bit as it makes you sound like you want a professional home or producer.

If you can add more pics do showing what the horse is capable of or even showing it is a nice horse, it looks a bit tense and upright in pic.

Remember you can have a few dud people or no interest then suddenly the right person will just call.

Tamba

Visit site
I also bring on horses to sell i would not take £1500 for her i get that for nice ponies just backed.
I am in the borders and we get loads of people coming from scotland right up north as they say there is little for sale up there, so you should not have a problem selling.

You may as well have the horse untacked for a nice side on pic as the one you have, i would also have a ridden pic i would remove the competitive home bit as it makes you sound like you want a professional home or producer.

If you can add more pics do showing what the horse is capable of or even showing it is a nice horse, it looks a bit tense and upright in pic.

Remember you can have a few dud people or no interest then suddenly the right person will just call.

thanks for that,,, YOU WERE RIGHT, first lady came bought her, shes delighted with her, and I think she will have a lovely home.. so good news,,, horses must be selling somewhere!!!