Problems tacking up at competitions

Mollymop

Visit site
Hello everyone, I'm new to posting a message on this forum but have been so impressed with all the helpful advice given by others that I thought someone might be able to help me!

A friend and I have a Dutch warmblood who gets in a panic when we try to put his saddle on at competitions. He does not do this at home. Even putting a numnah on him can cause him to go crazy. He humps his back and then tries to break away. We have tried walking him round first without the saddle, tacking up in the lorry and outside. He is a big strong horse and I am worried that we/him is going to get hurt. He does not respond to kind or cross words, he just seems to flip.

Has anybody got any suggestions??

Thankyou

MandyMoo

Visit site
has his back been checked??

do you use a different numnah/saddle at shows? (or even a different girth?) if so, maybe the diff numnah/saddle pinches at shows - and he is now anticipating the pain? - if you do use different equipment - maybe try using the normal stuff you use at home on a few shows and see how he reacts?

xx

kerilli

Visit site
i'd travel him there with saddle on, at least for a few times.
is he fine to rug and unrug at comps? is he young and rather overwhelmed by the whole comp atmosphere? can you take an older horse along to stay calm and help him chill out?

Mollymop

Visit site
Many thanks for the replies!

His back and teeth etc have been checked and his saddle fitted by a master saddler. We use the same tack at home and at competitions. He is okay to rug/unrug. We travel him with his friends. I think we will try travelling him saddled up and see if that works. I think it is due to competition stress although he is competing well within his comfort zone. Perhaps it would be worth trying taking him to a friend's yard instead of a competition and seeing if that causes the same problem?

kerilli

Visit site
yes, i'd try lots of little low-key outings so he realises that being on the lorry does not always equal HUGE PARTY!!!
i'd travel him in saddle so that you can avoid the issue for a while, use a bit of guile rather than having a battle. you might need to girth it up quite tight though so it doesn't move, but even if it does, just moving it shouldn't be as dramatic as having to start from scratch.