Problems with a new Ifor Williams trailer

H4Horse

New User
Visit site
I'm getting very little feedback from Ifor following problems with a new 506 and wondered if others experienced similar issues?

1.First was that we drove 150 miles (no horses I'm pleased to say) in quite torrential rain in December (that very wet month) and found loads of water/spray was coming in the top front vent which you can't close. The spray was getting as far back as where the horses shoulders would be.

2.We opted for the separate tack room option no front ramp and the rain was running down into the locker on the inside so the saddles got wet, it also wasn't sealed so if we'd had horses in the trailer the tack room would have been full of dust/dirt. I don't think they've sold this option in the UK before though.

3.When we open the left rear door the wire that goes to the number plate light is too tight, I think it will pull out or break if the door is taken to the second position too often, it just needs to be a cm longer.

4.Worst bit is after it was parked up over Christmas the rear wheels locked on.

I've been waiting for a response from Ifor since we told them first in Mid December so I feel I've given them time to sort it. But if anyone has experienced the same problems it would be good to know, maybe it was just a bad day at the factory. But the customer care should be renamed I think.

I understand our problems are more of a headache for them than most as we drove the trailer to Stockholm with all our harnesses and horse gear (the horse went earlier in our other trailer) but they have an agent in Stockholm and there are flights for £30-40. In my business I would be on the plane to sort it.

Neil

H4Horse

New User
Visit site
Surprised not to see any response, does that mean that no one has had any problems with water in 506 trailers? I would have thought that the recent weather would have shown up any problems. On the oter hand ours could have a manufacturing fault I guess that results in more water getting in, but seeing as Ifor have made little effort to sort the problems I'm tempted to tell them to take it back.

blackandwhite

Visit site
The locking wheels is a common problem. You have to ensure you draw it forward after reversing if you're parking it. Other than that mine is fine.

YasandCrystal

Visit site
It sounds like you have good cause for complaint except for the locking wheels - that is a brakes issue and damp conditions. With any trailer or vehicle it should be used on a weekly basis or moved at least as someone suggested.

Bess

Visit site
I have a 510 and it is water-tight, the roof vent opens and closes. I think you should get yours checked out.

The rear wheels do lock if the trailer has been left unused for a while but a couple of moves forwards and back soon sort it. I didn't know the trick of drawing forwards after reversing to park it but I do now so thanks blackandwhite.

Achinghips

Visit site
Yep, my brakes have locked on too, can't use the blasted thing now. I will hae to call a mechanic out, I guess, is it normal for them to do home visits!? !

Last edited:

mon

Visit site
I had a 506 new four years ago, had lots of problems, front nose coming adrift from rest of body being the main one, swapped for a 511 new, and no problems at all, but dealers we had 506 from didn't help or did IW but next dealer said nose cone is now metal not fibreglass so stronger, but was disappointed with lack of help over 506 from dealer or IW.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I was advised by a ifor Williams dealer that id be far better avoiding new as they had had so many problems and go for a 505 second hand which was a far better made trailer. This is what we did and never regretted a day!

Dry Rot

Visit site
Sadly, there are good IW dealers and bad IW dealers.

My local one is so bad I'm surprised he can afford the whisky he clearly has for lunch. The one 100 miles further down the road is brilliant so I tend to get parts from there even though it involves carriage charges. Personally, I have always found IW to be more than helpful. The popularity of their trailers speaks for itself.

As for locking brakes, try Googling "ifor williams brakes locking".

Capriole

Visit site
I was advised by a ifor Williams dealer that id be far better avoiding new as they had had so many problems and go for a 505 second hand which was a far better made trailer. This is what we did and never regretted a day!

Same advice, different dealer.