Problems wth canter

kirstyfk

Visit site
My horse is struggling with canter left. The back lady came last week and said his hip had dropped, put it back in place and said it should be fine. Although slightly better we are still struggling. He can do walk to canter and halt to canter fine but just cant do trot to canter. He seems sound it all three paces and his canter right transition is perfect.

Do you think it is a bigger problem? or do you think he just needs more schooling? If its a problem any ideas what it could be?

almorton

www.greygatessporthorses.co.uk
hmmmm. sorry but a back lady cannot put his hip back in place! nor can it move without disastrous consequences! he may have muscle spasm or soreness which may mean he is carrying himself oddly? however, unless he has had a traumatic injury, this is likely to be due to a problem lower down. if his hip is dropping as he moves, this is symptomatic of hindlimb lameness. id have him checked by a good sporthorse vet, and if not, crack on with the schooling. how qualified is the back person? are they an equine physio, or qualified massage therapist etc? i would just be slightly worried at that diagnosis, as no one apart from a vet should be legally diagnosing problems.

Lucy_Nottingham

Visit site
did you rest him after having it put back in place? I got told you should levve them to rest a day, then next day just walk trot, then after that back to normal.........

If you didnt rest maybe its still a bit tender (sure its not pleasent having bits popped back into place!)

Other than that........ I think maybe just more schooling? Although I have not had many problems with physio requirements. sorry

Lucy_Nottingham

Visit site
right...... id say crack on with the schooling then and see if he improves, if not then maybe talk to your vet about other options?!

sorry not a load of help :s

Genesis

Visit site
Listen to greygates.......
smile.gif

bailey14

Visit site
Hi Greygates I have found some interesting info off a Horse Q&A related website:

Many back problems develop because of pain lower down the hind legs and cannot be cured without solving the primary problem. Asymmetry of muscle mass is not necessarily cause for alarm (unless accompanied by lameness) but illustrates an underlying rotated pelvis, which he may have acquired when young and has since stabilised.

Veterinary advice is vital to decide if the problem is acute or chronic and if the pelvic area has suffered any fracture or merely muscle or ligament strain. Physiotherapy will help muscle strain and can then build muscle back up correctly once inflammation has gone down. However, physiotherapy might not have been a priority in the first instance - box rest may have been a more suitable treatment for him.

Ensure that your physiotherapist works under the guidance ofa vet and only once a diagnosis has been made. Also, check he or she is a member of the ACPAT (Association of Chartered Physiotherapists for Animal Treatment, (tel: 01962 844 390).

An osteopath or chiropractor might help in other ways, depending on the problem.

I was either told or read somewhere that it would take the strength of about ten men half an hour of heaving and pushing to push a rotated pelvis back into place. I think what actually happens is that the chiro or physio comes along and manipulates the muscle which is in spasm which in turn holds the ligaments, tendons and bones in place. Once the muscles are loosened off it is possible for some degree of manipulation of the bones but the way the horse is worked following manipulation is crucial to its correct way of going, and thus the problem remedying itself. I might be wrong, but that is my understanding of the process. x

bailey14

Visit site
From your photo you look like you are a very experienced rider so please excuse me asking this question as no doubt you have already covered this but:

Could the horse be a little unbalanced in trot? Have you used half halts in order for him to rebalance before asking for canter? Are you asking him to canter in a corner? Are you using your canter aids clearly, ie inside leg on the girth outside leg behind, head up and shoulders slightly turned into the circle, etc? Are you asking him at the right time, ie when the sequence of foot falls dictate that he is able to strike off into canter on the correct leg as soon as you ask (sorry I don't know what this correct foot fall sequence is or where the shoulder should be when you ask for canter) - I only go by 'feel' and could, like I'm sure most people could, ask for canter at the correct time even if I were blindfolded as I would know where my horse was at with his legs - sorry... does that make sense??? Im not by the way, boasting when I say that, I'm just saying that most people can. Can you? Sorry if I have insulted you - certainly didn't mean too xx

newsgirl

New User
Visit site
Hi to to was looking through this site and and your post caught my eye. I have a similar problem with a horse and canter left problem. I also had physio and a chiro who diagnosed the same problem has you have. My little horse isnt lame but struggles on lhs. I can here the inside toe scope the ground when he is cantering and he squares off his toe on this side. I have read as much as I can get my hands on and think it is a Sacriolliac problem which is vey hard to pin down due to the fact that the joint is deep. You havent said what surface you work I have sand and it presents a real problem. stangely enough when i take him to a school nearby with an excellent surface he finds the work much easier. he has been out for the last 2 weeks as i have been competing another horse I have. i hope to bring him in and continue were I left off trying to strengthen the bac k end up hill is what my chiro told me and yielding out on circle.
Just wanted you to know that you are not alone with your problem best of luck.

Kalees_mum

Visit site
I have the same problem with my horse but on both reins!

Nothing wrong back wise etc his just very unbalanced in the trot. I am working on transitions/pole work to get him working properly from behind and we are slowly getting there!