Pictures Producing 5/6yr olds

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
Other than a kick in the field and a subsequent 11 days of box rest while we waited to be able to x-ray, Chilli has been fabulous these last few weeks. It feels like he's more mentally capable now and is better at accepting that we can quietly work through things he doesn't yet understand instead of needing a tantrum about it!

He's always been great out hacking so we did our first fun ride last month, a quiet RDA sponsored ride at Blenheim. He was hoof-perfect throughout - happy to watch other horses doing their thing, didn't react when his supposed nanny was a complete tit and happily posed for the photographer:

View attachment 100911

View attachment 100912

He missed two weeks work after this, we squeezed in a couple of short walk hacks and a brief schooling session to check the buttons were still there, then headed to a BD camp at the weekend. I wasn't sure how he'd cope with the pressure as it was a lot in two days - two lessons, a test riding session and a camp competition.

He was awesome. For the first time we had enough relaxation in trot to be able to work on the way of going in a consistent and structured way, culminating in our first attempts at medium. The canter still needs a huge amount of work on the ride ability but it is now more consistent, so I feel more confident that it will come (particularly as we've been on the same journey with the walk, then the trot). Although his way of going really isn't ready for a test at any level, I decided to have a run through N22 for the test riding and comp with a plan to turn it into a schooling session if it all went wrong. We made it through both tests with a decent amount of obedience and accuracy - day one we had no mediums (obviously!) but had some great tips from the judge in a video feedback session the next day. 66% for that, including an error of course from me. Day two the trot work felt far better but we broke in the first medium and had a change in the second medium canter, but managed to correct him (something we wouldn't have managed a few weeks earlier) for 64%, but the judge agreed that overall it was a better test. Both the trainer (Becky Moody) and judge felt he'll do better at higher levels so my plan to keep plugging away and affiliate once we can do Medium seems like the right plan - he can go sideways all day long.

It finally feels like we're heading in the right direction, and doesn't he look handsome?!

View attachment 100913

View attachment 100914

A snippet of the penny dropping in medium trot:

He is really super, you're doing a great job! That stud do breed very nice horses :)

j1ffy

Visit site
He really does look great - how nice to have a photographer at the camp to capture those moments!

It was great to have Kevin Sparrow as he takes great photos, also none of us knew he was coming so it was a pleasant surprise on day two. It was also terrible to have Kevin Sparrow as he's very expensive...but you get what you pay for!

He is really super, you're doing a great job! That stud do breed very nice horses :)

Thank you! They do indeed, although locally they have a reputation for being difficult as youngsters (I'm glad even the local pro trainers find them challenging at times...). They also keep them very naturally in herds so they do seem to adapt to life over here easily, I've had Chilli since a weanling so didn't have that challenge but Indio's from the same place and has always been happy here.

What a very handsome boy! Can I ask what bridle that is in the camp photos, @j1ffy ?

Thank you! It's an EvoEquine Volte - similar to the Fairfax drop but I find the leather is much nicer (and the price tag).

j1ffy

Visit site
This thread has been quiet! Are lots of the 5/6yos on their holidays? Chilli's almost at his, he'll have a month off from mid-December.

We had our last dressage training of the year at the weekend, at my trainer's place for two days. The difference to our last visit in August was huge - Chilli has mentally grown-up and is far better at relaxing and at taking more pressure. Our focus is on engaging the hindquarters in trot, using the energy of the medium trot (which he seems to have a talent for) to engage the back-end but containing it to bring him more together. Canter is finally rideable so we worked on asking him to come back more and improve the rhythm. He stayed with me through both lessons and it finally feels like we have some foundations to build upon, which is exciting!

I shared a snippet of the lessons on the weekend thread, but there's a longer video here if anyone is interested. I've left my trainer's voice on as it's helpful for me when watching back, but a word of warning that she has a bit of a potty-mouth ?

TheMule

Visit site
This thread has been quiet! Are lots of the 5/6yos on their holidays? Chilli's almost at his, he'll have a month off from mid-December.

We had our last dressage training of the year at the weekend, at my trainer's place for two days. The difference to our last visit in August was huge - Chilli has mentally grown-up and is far better at relaxing and at taking more pressure. Our focus is on engaging the hindquarters in trot, using the energy of the medium trot (which he seems to have a talent for) to engage the back-end but containing it to bring him more together. Canter is finally rideable so we worked on asking him to come back more and improve the rhythm. He stayed with me through both lessons and it finally feels like we have some foundations to build upon, which is exciting!

I shared a snippet of the lessons on the weekend thread, but there's a longer video here if anyone is interested. I've left my trainer's voice on as it's helpful for me when watching back, but a word of warning that she has a bit of a potty-mouth ?

Looking good- I'll watch this properly later because it looks really interesting. Great that he's making good progress now he's mentally more relaxed, he looks to be training on really well.

Nova has just started jumping again post-surgery and feels even behind and very happy to be back to his 'thing' which is nice. He's a bit of a bouncy ball to ride though, and there's some 'expressive' hindleg action going on. He has a jump lesson on Saturday, I'll share the video after if we all survive o_O

ihatework

Visit site
Chilli is looking great Jiffy!

All quiet on the western front here - 6yo is ferel (literally) in the field.

He finished the latter half of the season jumping round some decent tracks well at Wellington, Cornbury and then diverted to Bicton 2* after balloted from Osberton 6yo.

Best news was he went into the horsepital for a post season MOT and when I picked him up the vet was grinning at how good he was - always a bonus!

j1ffy

Visit site
Looking good- I'll watch this properly later because it looks really interesting. Great that he's making good progress now he's mentally more relaxed, he looks to be training on really well.

Nova has just started jumping again post-surgery and feels even behind and very happy to be back to his 'thing' which is nice. He's a bit of a bouncy ball to ride though, and there's some 'expressive' hindleg action going on. He has a jump lesson on Saturday, I'll share the video after if we all survive o_O

Thank you!
Best of luck on Saturday :) I'm sure it will be fine, and it must be lovely to have Nova back on form. How's the new mule settling in?

Chilli is looking great Jiffy!

All quiet on the western front here - 6yo is ferel (literally) in the field.

He finished the latter half of the season jumping round some decent tracks well at Wellington, Cornbury and then diverted to Bicton 2* after balloted from Osberton 6yo.

Best news was he went into the horsepital for a post season MOT and when I picked him up the vet was grinning at how good he was - always a bonus!

Thank you!
It must be nice to have the 6yo home and on holidays, and even better news that the vet is so happy with him. Onwards and upwards next year! I hope we can keep following him even though he's graduated from this thread :)

CanteringCarrot

Visit site

He looks great! I'm so happy for you that he has talent for extensions. It was a long road there for my PRE. I think I can improve the trot and extensions on any horse now! ?

It's also nice when they mentally grow up a bit!

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
The extensions are a happy surprise! Although his sire can do them too.

Funny thing... Now that I'm looking at my previous PRE's sire...he was mainly used for morphology and I cannot find a photo of him ridden, lots of at liberty photos and none show a good extension, just more knee...which is the problem I had. I'd get more knee or more speed, and the concept of a true extended trot was tough for him. I only ever saw that horse do an extended trot at liberty once, in a field, in the 5 years that I owned him. Otherwise he just got into a faster trot with higher knees ? so it made me feel a bit less bad about myself seeing that he hardly even did it naturally. We came a long way, but it wasn't easy, and I didn't originally buy him for dressage anyway, so can't complain.

Current PRE actually extends effortlessly at liberty, and has good dressage breeding on his damside, and the father also throws good movement. I tried to buy strengths where my last one was "weak" so to speak. Trying to make my life easier this time around, but who knows how he will actually be once he's backed ? he looks like an unfortunate donkey at the moment anyway.

My thing is, if the trot extensions aren't there, but the canter is very good and collection is on point, just switch to working equitation ??‍♀️ problem solved ?

Love watching Chili's progress though! Can't wait to watch him develop even more.

j1ffy

Visit site
Funny thing... Now that I'm looking at my previous PRE's sire...he was mainly used for morphology and I cannot find a photo of him ridden, lots of at liberty photos and none show a good extension, just more knee...which is the problem I had. I'd get more knee or more speed, and the concept of a true extended trot was tough for him. I only ever saw that horse do an extended trot at liberty once, in a field, in the 5 years that I owned him. Otherwise he just got into a faster trot with higher knees ? so it made me feel a bit less bad about myself seeing that he hardly even did it naturally. We came a long way, but it wasn't easy, and I didn't originally buy him for dressage anyway, so can't complain.

Current PRE actually extends effortlessly at liberty, and has good dressage breeding on his damside, and the father also throws good movement. I tried to buy strengths where my last one was "weak" so to speak. Trying to make my life easier this time around, but who knows how he will actually be once he's backed ? he looks like an unfortunate donkey at the moment anyway.

My thing is, if the trot extensions aren't there, but the canter is very good and collection is on point, just switch to working equitation ??‍♀️ problem solved ?

Love watching Chili's progress though! Can't wait to watch him develop even more.

My first PRE, Pocholo, is very like your old boy from the sounds of it. He was from a sherry bodega stud so his relations all pull the beautiful carriages you see at ferias. He's wonderfully comfortable, mostly unflappable (though has a big sense of humour) and zero ability to extend! My other two, Indio and Chilli, are both bred for dressage and you can definitely feel and see the difference...although Pocholo was incredibly straightforward as a 5yo, unlike Chilli. I'm sure your yearling will be very different to your old boy, it will be good to see how he develops.

I tried not to look too closely at Chilli when he was a yearling as he went through some odd growth phases! His front legs looked like a foal's well into his third year, his toes are only just about straight now TBH.

And thank you, I do worry about boring people with over-sharing ?. We were supposed to do our first WE clinic a couple of weeks but we had to sort out his new loading issue instead! We'll pick it up next year hopefully, though Chilli may be disappointed that he can't show off his big trot...

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Chilli is looking great @j1ffy !

No Christmas hols for Isaac - he had his month off in September when there was still grass and started back up again in October. Surprised to find yesterday when we put him on the stick that he has grown to 16.3hh now - was 16.1 and a bit as a Spring 4yo... so about 1.5 inches of growth. Although still very narrow to sit on, and only in a 6'3/6'6 rug - so short through the back.

I've been out and done a bit of dressage, but to be honest, have got a bit fed up of it. Still enjoying the training, just not the competing. Ramping back up with the jumping now and have had some good training sessions recently.

317265501_610326384225101_705409288257974110_n.jpg
316254137_610327507558322_5830271271248691613_n.jpg
316291169_610327654224974_2221023720522358070_n.jpg317348703_610327884224951_1351379439390041867_n.jpg

j1ffy

Visit site

No Christmas hols for Isaac - he had his month off in September when there was still grass and started back up again in October. Surprised to find yesterday when we put him on the stick that he has grown to 16.3hh now - was 16.1 and a bit as a Spring 4yo... so about 1.5 inches of growth. Although still very narrow to sit on, and only in a 6'3/6'6 rug - so short through the back.

I've been out and done a bit of dressage, but to be honest, have got a bit fed up of it. Still enjoying the training, just not the competing. Ramping back up with the jumping now and have had some good training sessions recently.

View attachment 103634
View attachment 103635
View attachment 103636View attachment 103637

Isaac is looking great, and you must be delighted that he's grown a bit! I last measured Chilli early in the year at 16.1hh and he's also grown at least an inch since then, probably more but the stick at the yard is broken (and I'm in denial ?).

It sounds like we have the opposite approach to turning away - as Chilli is a good doer I need to wait for the grass to die down a bit! I turned him away earlier last year and had to get him back in work as he went down two girth holes each side in about 3 weeks... He's in better shape this year so hopefully his holiday spread won't be too bad!

shortstuff99

Visit site

If you want to do a bit of digging on the sire, if he did morphology competitions 4 years old plus he will have done a dressage test for the functionality section. All of these are filmed and put on here

https://www.concursosancce.com/public3/contests/morf?year=2022

j1ffy

Visit site
If you want to do a bit of digging on the sire, if he did morphology competitions 4 years old plus he will have done a dressage test for the functionality section. All of these are filmed and put on here

https://www.concursosancce.com/public3/contests/morf?year=2022

The stud doesn't do a lot of morphology competitions, I think some of the horses they sell go on to do more but they seem to be more about breeding than getting 'out there'! He did a couple of comps as a 2yo and a bit of dressage, but is now being successfully ridden by a young boy at Novice level, there are a couple of videos from this year's comps here: https://www.concursosancce.com/public3/participant?name=Guaro+V

I met Guaro a couple of times at the stud, he's absolutely beautiful in the flesh and looks wonderful to ride (he was ridden by an adult doing advanced moves when I saw him under saddle). He reminds me of Indio in the videos at Novice level, which shouldn't be surprising as they share the same sire and dam-sire.

shortstuff99

Visit site
The stud doesn't do a lot of morphology competitions, I think some of the horses they sell go on to do more but they seem to be more about breeding than getting 'out there'! He did a couple of comps as a 2yo and a bit of dressage, but is now being successfully ridden by a young boy at Novice level, there are a couple of videos from this year's comps here: https://www.concursosancce.com/public3/participant?name=Guaro+V

I met Guaro a couple of times at the stud, he's absolutely beautiful in the flesh and looks wonderful to ride (he was ridden by an adult doing advanced moves when I saw him under saddle). He reminds me of Indio in the videos at Novice level, which shouldn't be surprising as they share the same sire and dam-sire.
OMG how cute is that combination! Looks a fab horse!

Boughtabay

Visit site
Lovely seeing how these 5/6 yos are all going! Something for me and my rising 6yo to aspire to in the new year ☺️ he’s currently on an unplanned break as my work pattern has changed and no wfh this month. Looking forward to the Christmas holidays to get him going again and more daylight hours after that! If he behaves on a short hack this Saturday (going a bit feral at the moment) I might take him for a group lesson Sunday just to experience it for 20mins/half an hour.

Not too worried about the break though as I think he’s having another bit of a growth spurt as he’s getting good snoozes in - don’t need him to grow much more mind so hopefully he’s just levelling out!

Attachments

• BAD26E22-6F27-4C47-B931-DA75D9764AD0.jpeg
    BAD26E22-6F27-4C47-B931-DA75D9764AD0.jpeg
    294.9 KB · Views: 8

tristar

Visit site

View attachment 103634
View attachment 103635
View attachment 103636View attachment 103637

one nice horse

do you mind saying how he is bred?

Barlow

Visit site
That's quite an impressive transformation!
Thank you, that’s very kind of you. The photo doesn’t show much but in the year I’ve had him he has grown a wither and now stands under himself. It’s still very much a work in progress though - his shoulder is just starting to come out.

Reactions: TPO

tristar

Visit site
English bred - by Bazaars Exclusive out of a Take it 2 the Limit (Selle Francais) mare. Dam also had a half sister that evented to old 3* level.

Nothing 'fancy', but his temperament is exceptionally good.

fancy enough for me, ! love double espoir, sire of my favourite international s jumper Flipper D'Elle on the sire side, [big courage]

and on the dam side grey sovereign, nasrullah, i think, i have that blood in my stallion, quirky, but very good, tough and sound with a good mind.