Pictures Producing 5/6yr olds

GinaGeo

Visit site
For the former 3/4yr olds that have graduated from that thread! And any new ones ?

I’ve been enjoying contributing and reading about everyone else’s young horses and I know there’s been some calls for a new thread to follow them on.

Pod is five now and has just levelled off again after a big growth spurt over winter.

He had his first jump lesson back last week. He’s come back so much stronger and is really taking me forward now - I’m getting glimpses of the horse he could be, and that’s plenty of horse for me and a lot of fun.

We’ve got a Dressage Comp at the weekend, his second. We wobbled round a prelim last year. Thanks to various lockdowns he’s barely been out. So not expecting too much. But he needs to start seeing the world.

0B770BE8-15C5-463D-8AEA-003128740802.jpg

What are your 5/6yr olds up to?

ihatework

Visit site
Oz had Sept & Oct off and then went off to big school full time.

Covid has been a blessing for him because he is so quick to learn and ‘on it’ that the lack of competitions has meant we haven’t felt under any pressure to rush.

He went out and did his first show last month and was a dude

6779E42A-68B4-4A83-ADC6-5FAF031218BF.jpeg

And since has had a couple of Xc schools. Was supposed to go to another show last week but plans changed.

His rider moved to a new sole occupied yard last week, which whilst annoyingly is now 45 mins away, it is the most amazing set up so overall a great opportunity.

He is entered up for a 90cm ODE this weekend but has had so little prep and the ground is solid I’m 50/50 about him going and if he does he is unlikely to run Xc.

Plenty of time for all that jazz

maya2008

Visit site
I would join this thread, but we have had no school (or hacking that has more than a 2min canter) since COVID started. So competition success is going to be rather far in our futures as they need to get fit first! Mine also had a slightly different early education as they are family ponies first, competition ponies second.

I took it very very slowly with coblet so he would be able to look after a nervous/novice rider by the time he was six (and he is doing so amazingly). Tonnes of exposure to different things and letting him figure things out for himself, teaching him to think and make decisions, rather than to rely on his rider. He was six this month, and he can take my husband hacking, put up with him in the school and still look amazing when he gets it right and gives the correct aids. I got in enough schooling with him before COVID that he would happily do a Prelim test or tiny course of jumps. For now, he is ‘finished’ and doing the job he was trained for. When his rider has caught up, they will probably do dressage.

Little mare was originally brought on for a child (and ridden by one) - then decided last winter that actually, she didn’t want to do that. So all 13hh of her is now mine. She is a great mum’s hack as I can do anything while on her - lead, get on and off to get dropped things and sort out children. She is confident over all terrain and can hack for two hours or so quite happily, alone or in company with only the odd mini spook. She went to one pony games thing and some arena hire before COVID and that was it as she was backed at 4 (she was an August foal so the breeder kept her back a year). We have been going to arena hire once a week since 29th March. She wasn’t keen on being on a surface at first, but is happier now and we have done some mini jumping. Progress is slightly limited due to time (work and everyone wants to get out - there are four of us wanting to do different things - kids, husband and me!). Lorry had skylight leaks last winter that went unnoticed as it wasn’t being used, so it is off this weekend for a new floor and some other bits. Hopefully over the summer we will be able to do much more, as my work will drop down a bit and husband and coblet will become more independent and able to go out on their own to arena hire, clinics etc.

I would like her to do dressage, she wants to jump, and sponsored rides look fun. I am quite fussy about competing though, if I am going to do dressage I like to have a chance of doing well - so we will do mini jumping first to get her used to a show atmosphere, spend some more time getting the hang of an arena surface (not so easy when you are a pony who is naturally suspicious of the ground conditions!), then do her first test.

Alibear

Visit site
Amber was officially 5 yesterday so she's graduated to this thread. Like the others, we've not been out and about much due to COVID but the one show we did do last summer went well. She's hacked in company now and is happily settled into her new home and routine with me since October. She's confident in the indoor school, we got all three paces and gears within them, lateral work is where it needs to be for now and she's confident with poles, boxes and gates, loading has improved too. We're starting on the outdoor work now the weather has improved. I'm actually planning on staying at home and concentrating on being able to practise full patterns in the outdoor school and get her hacking confidently solo and some arena hires when we can. This year is about putting miles on the clock. :)

Michen

Visit site
Well my 5yo is basically bloomin useless! He’s having top notch farriery, physio, vet visits, saddles and saddlers and is just about good for a hack around the fields. But he’s also a really lovely person and an extremely nice hack so he’s forgiven.

IHW I was feeling bitter that I’d withdrawn from an event this weekend and it’s now rained, but actually I guess the ground will need more than a day or two to truly
Soften up.

C2CC7A82-C522-4969-A13C-0EF3DF6EA5AE.jpeg

Widgeon

Visit site
IHW I was feeling bitter that I’d withdrawn from an event this weekend and it’s now rained, but actually I guess the ground will need more than a day or two to truly
Soften up.

I wouldn't feel too bad about that, we've had a bit of rain up here but I think you're right, it will need more than a day or two of rain until it's no longer rock hard.

Hallo2012

Visit site
Raf is 6 this time and we actually managed to keep going pretty much through Covid so he maintained his fitness as still galloped every week and kept ticking over with schooling.

He has E44 and E59 this sat and then the elem Area Festivals, and then a 6yo pony class end of May.

if i have time we also have our eye on charity bitless dressage too :)

hopefully he will make a few baby Raf's in may and june too!raf 1.jpg

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Ludo is 6 this year and only just growing into his own body and finally beginning to look like a mature horse not Bambi. This term, we'll be working on consistency of outline (out and down to the contact and maintaining that through changes of bend) and increasing his attention span.

Screenshot_20210414-150531_YouCut - Video Editor.jpg

Last edited:

GinaGeo

Visit site
My favourite age group! None at the moment but had plenty.
Looking forward to following the journey of all your lovely youngsters.
I love them at this age too - they are like sponges!

It’s super to see how everybody else’s are getting on and I’m really looking forward to seeing how they get on as the year progresses ?

We had a jumping lesson again tonight. He was much straighter from the beginning, and we were able to land on the required lead. Last week I was struggling to get the right lead on the straight coming from the left. Tonight we got it first time and every time ? The strengthening and baby lateral work is really starting to pay off.

He’s really good fun, and is happiest when he’s got a job to do. So now I’m walking the tightrope of exercising his busy brain, whilst not being hard on his body. Lots of quiet hacking and days off in between the more educational sessions.

Looking forward to getting him out this weekend for some dressage ?

8CD944A9-BF71-4DBC-8F4E-87BC22FE1257.jpg

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I have a 6yo - just done first ODE on the back of hardly any education. She has taken a very long time to grow and spent a lot of it bum high or self harming. She also has uveitis, which has to be managed very carefully. Luckily, she is showing she is worth the pain. She is pretty naughty and cheeky.

She will move up to 90cm next time out. Do a few of those and then see where we are. I am saving her for my Badminton Grassroots horse as I think she will do a beautiful dressage test and she is bold and jumps. I have never had one I have actively saved for it as usually get bored and move them up the levels but have her sister to do that with. If her dressage hits the 20s which I am hoping it will then I will register her in July for BE and aim her at the three day at Bicton.

PP 80cm April 21.jpegPP 80cm April 21 XC.jpeg

ihatework

Visit site
First 5yo event report - just a little unaff and he was just so grown up about it. Such a good brain ❤️

First time in white boards, took to it like a pro. Just got a bit buzzy and unbalanced in the canter otherwise a very solid test for 31.

Came out confident Sj but took a spooky dislike to the big green judges box, so had the 2 down he had to jump when facing towards the box ??

A bit of rain and 2 days of competition helping to cut up the track and he got to go XC. Super confident clear.

Very exciting ??

4BE5871F-91D0-464F-B46A-FE77501061EE.jpegE1D0D7BA-4C4C-43C9-A6F8-BD7CE787AA20.jpeg1DE59C0A-980F-46DC-BD38-026F171EADF3.jpeg4940CFDA-1AA3-4FC8-9284-2E61AA04F865.jpeg202C98CA-3FF1-4B40-A2AA-A90C110EBC17.jpeg

GinaGeo

Visit site
We had a slightly different weekend.
He isn’t destined to be a show horse, but I do think it forms a useful part of their education. Standing waiting patiently, the atmosphere, warming up with lots of different types of horses.

I did rather wish I had a neck strap in the warm up, he did find it very exciting. But he came back to me and largely in the ring was a very good boy. He stood excellently waiting, and didn’t put a foot wrong in his show pieces.

He did fall hopelessly in love with a beautiful Fell/Dales pony from a distance (apologies for my ignorance - I’m afraid I’m not educated enough to tell the difference), and did have a bit of a melt down at the thought of going in a different direction. But credit to him, he did manage to get his mind back on the job.

He wasn’t quite turned out correctly, and we weren’t hoping for any rosettes. Just for him to behave. Which he did. Mostly!

He was also far less furious about being bathed and plaited than he was last time. So it’s all going in the right direction.

A9C9852D-09D9-45D3-875B-516B3B517375.jpeg
752FD495-912C-4671-AC1A-9C8C4F92585B.jpeg

More in keeping with my real hopes for him, we had a super jump lesson on Thursday. His first proper grown up grid session. Feeling loads straighter. Really enjoying him ?

F4A7AE33-5CF3-4993-8877-D12EF64BD3C2.jpeg

Last edited:

Alibear

Visit site
Is anyone starting the oh so fun phase of a 5-year-old feeling big, strong, confident and full of the joys of SPRING! Or is it just me ;) I'm trying to concentrate on it's good that I have a nice big happy strong youngster to bring on. Thank goodness for Western Saddles. She's also getting the nickname contrary Mary as one day jump wings are fine, the next day they are horse eating monsters, we go round those two options daily at the moment. My instructor can ride her just fine with all sorts going on so I know she's fine and it's just me that needs to up my game, as ever. Thankfully we've got one long weekend thing to do each month from June-Sept so that might help keep her focused. I'm definitely having to toughen up a bit and go back over, all the baby, we stand nicely to be groomed and lead nicely etc things as she's got the opinion that it's all optional at the moment. Nothing nasty she's just feeling well, she's also spent a night out for the first time as she refused to be caught again... She's been fine to catch since then though. I'm currently in that phase of wishing I'd brought a nice schooled on know it all older horse, the challenge there is in western they don't exist as everyone keeps them!

ihatework

Visit site
Lucky you Alibear, thank the lord for western saddles ?

I have to say, so far (IHW rapidly runs to find some wood to touch), my little fella has been on a really even keel and continues to improve all round. I’ve probably just sealed the deal on an emerging devil for writing that now ?

TheMule

Visit site
We had a slightly different weekend.
He isn’t destined to be a show horse, but I do think it forms a useful part of their education. Standing waiting patiently, the atmosphere, warming up with lots of different types of horses.

I did rather wish I had a neck strap in the warm up, he did find it very exciting. But he came back to me and largely in the ring was a very good boy. He stood excellently waiting, and didn’t put a foot wrong in his show pieces.

He did fall hopelessly in love with a beautiful Fell/Dales pony from a distance (apologies for my ignorance - I’m afraid I’m not educated enough to tell the difference), and did have a bit of a melt down at the thought of going in a different direction. But credit to him, he did manage to get his mind back on the job.

He wasn’t quite turned out correctly, and we weren’t hoping for any rosettes. Just for him to behave. Which he did. Mostly!

He was also far less furious about being bathed and plaited than he was last time. So it’s all going in the right direction.

View attachment 71979
View attachment 71980

More in keeping with my real hopes for him, we had a super jump lesson on Thursday. His first proper grown up grid session. Feeling loads straighter. Really enjoying him ?

View attachment 71992

What a lovely young horse, he's looking super!

maya2008

Visit site
Our goals are currently extremely modest -Unfit ponies with limited exercise opportunities due to lack of facilities (including lack of hacking where you can go fast) don’t muscle up so fast.

However…
- we now have walk to canter on both reins with just a touch of my leg;
- jumping (once a week) now involves small spreads, water trays etc. She can jump anything out of trot and is starting to find her own takeoff point in canter. When we get it right, it feels really good (albeit still small);
- she is really growing up, I can hack on the buckle now, relax and let her pick her own way so long as the ground is reasonable.

windand rain

Visit site
winters 8.jpgwinters 7.jpg
little fatty looking fit and slim both learning the joys of x country and riding in a huge space with other horses galloping off and leaving them Little rider was worried but had a ball when she realised Rowan truly is very good and stops when asks even if everyone else has galloped off. She was 6 in April and they have both learned as they went along

Last edited:

dixie

Visit site
I have a 5yr old so can join in!
I bought him 6 weeks ago and so far he’s hacked alone successfully, been to a few different arenas for lessons and started to jump. He has jumped previously and hunted but as he doesn’t have canter in the school established or a proper contact or transitions I wanted to start from scratch again. So we’re presently trotting into fences and cantering away.
we had our first party a couple of weeks ago where we went to a pleasure ride and he was fabulous.
Our aim is for our first sj show in a couple of weeks. Only 60 and 70cm but something we can trot around if need be.
He’s a lovely horse and I couldn’t be more pleased with him. 5975F057-E69F-45A6-9206-E172629BBE3F.jpeg4D0A5CFD-E3B2-403F-939F-E1210AE7E144.jpeg992018D6-A482-473A-822F-F4E16E2283EA.jpeg

Last edited:

Alibear

Visit site
What a difference a week of steady consistent work; and the weather finally improving can make. Had a great session last night, relaxed enough so I could actually ride, rather than negotiate :) It also helped that my trainer has been riding her a bit more frequently to get us back on track. Thank goodness for trainers :) I'm back to looking forwards to getting out and about with her over the summer now. I'm doing a reccy this weekend with a view to visiting a friend and using her arena the weekend after.
Sunny Outdoor Amber small.jpg

Scarlett

Visit site
Can I play?

I got a 5yo exracer, Raisin, last year, 2 weeks after his last race. We started well, then lockdown happened, and given his age and the fact I was concentrating on keeping my job and sanity, I gave him time out to grow and adjust to his new life and routine. We did bits and pieces then the wheels fell off a bit, and we lost turning left. Long story short lots of physio, massage and careful work with my trainer and we're back on track now.

Due to issues with my other horse, I have 4, I haven't really ridden regularly for the last 3 years, so I'm really making the effort now to get back on board. Really feeling my lack of riding now though, it's been a real slog to get back to even here.

Raisin is now 6, 17hh, and a genuinely lovely boy. We've mostly worked in the school to this point, but thinking of boxing out for some lessons and schooling in the next couple of months. VideoCapture_20210529-205452.jpg
IMG-20210530-WA0002.jpg

dixie

Visit site
Update report!
Had another jumping lesson where we started cantering into jumps. Went fairly well albeit a bit scrappy. Decided to jump the water tray which was fine first time but second time he took a dislike to it, ducked out and I flew off, hitting a filler on the way resulting in heavily bruised leg.
It took a bit of persuasion to get him near it after that but once he jumped it once he was fine popping over it without issues.
Roll forward a couple of weeks and I today took him to his first show. A lovely low keyed one where they didn’t mind how long you took to get around!
Well he was a star ⭐️. Took everything in his stride, keen in the ring. He had a couple of fences but happily cantered around the 60cm and 70cm very easily. Very happy with him and his attitude to life?

lannerch

Visit site
Wow how have I only just found this thread , lovely to see all your youngsters some I know already from the younger thread others totally knew but there are some really stunning youngsters here looking like they have oodles of scope.
I’m a year away from joining this thread but will enjoy following , thank you for starting.

maya2008

Visit site
We finally have a better saddle (old one was a tiny bit too long, so affected her canter). It needs a few adjustments (a shorter girth for one!) but she felt so much better in it and rounded really nicely over her jumps yesterday. I won’t have to ride bareback so much now!

I also managed to hack in a snaffle without issue, so that will help hugely - I think the 5yo silliness might be fully gone now she’s only two months away from turning six!

Husband’s 6yo was being cheeky for him yesterday so I got on for a bit. It was so nice to sit on something that took pride in its schooling. He gave me a nuzzle when I got off - think he enjoyed it too! My little mare just wants to jump!

Scarlett

Visit site
As I'm sat here with a power cut and can't do any actual work.... here's a Raisin update.

His report card currently shows an A*.

He's been absolutely fantastic these last few weeks. Not just under saddle but on the ground too. Like the penny finally dropped that this is his life, and it ain't too bad.

The ridden work is coming together very quickly. We have a leg to hand connection and, although he's still wobbly, his straightness has improved a lot. I've started introducing lateral work which he's picked up quickly and he can confidently leg yield through shallow loops with a change of bend in the middle. We've worked solidly on his acceptance of the contact for months. With my other exracer I made the mistake of not working on this early, with Raisin it was something we worked on straight away. After trying a couple of bits I bought a NS Turtle Top D ring a couple of months ago and it has been the final piece in the puzzle. He's now happier to go out and down to the contact, and is much, much stiller in his mouth. I try to avoid expensive bits tbh but this has definitely made a difference. He's putting muscle on in the right places so very happy with what we are doing.

Yesterday I had a couple of friends at the yard, and only had 20min to ride. I threw tack at him, hopped on, trotted a bit, got off and threw him out. The important bit here isn't the ridden work, but the way he dealt with people, dogs, having tack thrown at him, standing on the yard, and generally just having to be a good citizen. Such an improvement from the hysterics we've seen over the last year.

My instructor hasn't seen him for a few weeks due to other circumstances, and she's here this week to sit on him and 'check my work' as I'm getting a tattoo today and will need to not ride for a couple of days. I'm really, really looking forward to seeing her on him.

A couple of pics from us schooling last week showing the improvement in his frame.

Attachments

• VideoCapture_20210606-191724.jpg
    VideoCapture_20210606-191724.jpg
    314.7 KB · Views: 44
  • VideoCapture_20210606-131513.jpg
    VideoCapture_20210606-131513.jpg
    421.3 KB · Views: 45

Alibear

Visit site
Ambers grown up a lot in the last month or so. Work is becoming consistent in the outdoor at home and she's been away to a 3 day camp with a show on the 4th day, where we won the main class I was aiming for, OK it was a tiny class but she was super despite being rather tired by that point. She also was relaxed enough away that she ate and maintained her condition nicely which was a challenge last year. Since then she's been home had her first trot and canter on hack and been out to an arena hire (which was her first time away from either the stud she was born at or my livery yard) and she stayed calm and settled and soft. I know this is an up point and challenges will happen but at the moment she is super. We're planning a trip to Thetford Forest on Sunday.

HayleyUK

Visit site
Aaah, this thread is lovely! It’s so refreshing to see all the different stages your horses are at rather than feeling the pressure that my 6yo should be doing XYZ

We’ve done two dressage outings - one outdoor and one indoor. Ribbons at the first & last at the second show - horses hey!!
She’s amazing in the warm up but goes off my aids and green in the indoor so we are off for another educational outing this weekend.