Producing my new ex driving horse

umbreon

New User
Visit site
Hi all!

I am the new, very proud owner to a 5 year old Welsh X - with a bit of Hackney somewhere along the line.

I bought him knowing he was a project, and he was trained for driving so is very green in the school.

Being so green he gets very easily confused, and when asking for anything more than walk in the school he does a massive speedy trot instead of normal trot or canter. I struggle to even maintain a collected trot. He has the sweetest personality with not a bad bone in him - and isn't stupid at all, I just don't think he understands what I'm asking.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas or tips to help us train him out of this crazy trot?

TIA

Petmurf

Visit site
Mine is the same sometimes so I find slowing down my rise helps, stay up for longer, so he finds my rhythm and he slows right down into a nice trot.

webble

Visit site
It's not a crazy trot it's just his trot and the one he's been likely been asked for all his life so far.

If he is new to ridden life and schooling he won't have the strength to truly collect yet. Try short trots in a straight line then back to walk, trotting poles large loops and circles etc

umbreon

New User
Visit site
It's not a crazy trot it's just his trot and the one he's been likely been asked for all his life so far.

If he is new to ridden life and schooling he won't have the strength to truly collect yet. Try short trots in a straight line then back to walk, trotting poles large loops and circles etc

It was simply a joke? No harm is done by me calling it crazy, I am aware of why he does it, but we are allowed to be lighthearted about such matters. I appreciate the training advice.

stangs

Visit site
In-hand work to help him understand that there are different speeds of trot - he wants to be matching your speed - and to build up topline through poles and transitions.

The key thing to remember is that part of the problem is that he's used to the big trot being the main requirement, but he also won't have the strength to carry a rider because he hasn't carried one much before, which in turn forces him to rely on a hollowed big trot to try balance himself. Schoolwork is tricky because of the small space (and, again, the majority of driving horses aren't used to sharp turns or circles). I much prefer hacking for a horse who's new to ridden work.

Riding-wise, I also found that it sometimes helps to have little to no contact (once you've got a better muscled horse). Depends on the horse, but some of them get into the habit of leaning on the bit rather than pushing from behind: not having anything to lean on forces them to rebalance themselves.

Don't worry about the canter until you've got him more supple, comfortable and rideable in the trot.

umbreon

New User
Visit site
In-hand work to help him understand that there are different speeds of trot - he wants to be matching your speed - and to build up topline through poles and transitions.

The key thing to remember is that part of the problem is that he's used to the big trot being the main requirement, but he also won't have the strength to carry a rider because he hasn't carried one much before, which in turn forces him to rely on a hollowed big trot to try balance himself. Schoolwork is tricky because of the small space (and, again, the majority of driving horses aren't used to sharp turns or circles). I much prefer hacking for a horse who's new to ridden work.

Riding-wise, I also found that it sometimes helps to have little to no contact (once you've got a better muscled horse). Depends on the horse, but some of them get into the habit of leaning on the bit rather than pushing from behind: not having anything to lean on forces them to rebalance themselves.

Don't worry about the canter until you've got him more supple, comfortable and rideable in the trot.

This is incredibly helpful, thank you!

Puddock

Visit site
I’ve found double-lunging/long-reining on a circle to be immensely helpful. He should good voice commands installed from his driving days so make use of those and get him slowing down/steadying from your voice and then translate that to the ridden work. That trot will be spectacular, though, so be careful not to lose all of the exuberance.

Micky

Visit site
Exactly as stangs has said..I had an ex driver, it took a long time but boy was it worth it to take your time reschooling him..in hand/long lining work, walk and trot in straight lines, either field work or hacking..the canter will come later, on the same training..ground poles are quite helpful too. And lots of praise, finishing on a good note every time, however short the session has been.