Products for healthy hooves?

viceversa

Visit site
Hi,
Can anyone recommend any products I can use on my thoroughbred to strengthen his hooves and stop them splitting, and encourage healthy hoof growth?
Which is best? Cornucrescine Hoof Ointment, Cornucrescine Hoof Moisturiser, or any of the NAF products such as Hoof Moist, Hoof Rub, or the products you put in the feed.
Anyone had any good results with these? Thanks :)

viceversa

Visit site
Hi, thanks for your response.
What do you recommend putting in the diet? He is a bit fussy with adding things to his feed :rolleyes:

amandap

Visit site
I think it's more likely to be a case of what to take out of the diet. My TB has improved dramatically since I reduced sugars and starch in her diet. It's a huge subject and every horse is an individual as well as every situation.
Have a read of the 'Feeding the hoof' article on this link.
http://www.hoofrehab.com/hoof articles by Pete Ramey.htm

Low sugar, high roughage with minerals balanced to forage is the best way to go imo.

Miss L Toe

Visit site
Feed fibre based diet, treat as for barefoot [Feet First] if you can remove the hind shoes try that,
Regular exercise will make the feet stronger, walking on the road at least twenty minutes every day.
Allen and Page sell Fast Fibre which has all the vitamins and minerals but none of the cereals which can overload the whole digestive system.
Soak your haylage for an hour to remove sugars, sugars are the source of all evil!
How often is he shod, what does the farrier say, they should be improving with every shoe-ing, if not get another farrier.
if you want to add anything to Fast Fibre, make sure it has no more than 5% sugar, you could try Micronised Linseed meal which is a good feed, but only add 100 gm at first, and only if you need to, I limit myself t only three things in the feed, and that really makes you think, but first of all try Fast Fibre for two weeks and see how he looks.
The hoof wall takes 4 to six months to grow through.
Try posting a photo of all four feet.

Last edited:

Zuzan

Visit site
Agree fibre based diet.. I have had great success with micronised linseed .. very good for hoof horn (just as it is for skin and hair). If the horse's gut is compromised (acidic) this will have profound affect on the hoof.. various things can help sort the guts out .. pysillium husks are excellent (linseed is too). Basically hooves are an excellent indictor of the horse's health and nutrition... if you address the health of hooves thro diet you will only do the horse good overall.

Pampered Ponies

Visit site
I have 2 TBs, one with v bad feet. I would certainly concur with strengthen ing through road work etc but I have to say I also use Formula 4 Feet in his feed and Kevin Bacon Hoof Grease too.

babymare

Visit site
ok have TB X had a phase of abcesses - 6 in 18 months and blacksmith every 6 weeks but bad bad feet - tried on formula 4 feet and ok worked but not cheap - so sat with farrier and decided bar shoes and "healthy hoof " feed and mmmmmmm not an abcess for 2 years his feet are good though given the strucure of feet can never go shoeless - but great feet beautiful shiny coat and my fat lass has it to as given ok by laminitic trust so mmmmmm talk to farrier and see what he suggests - they understand feet more than vets do and mines brill :) xxx

Fauvea

Visit site
I can also vouch for Formula4Feet. If you consider how long a bag last it's much less expensive than the NAF hoof stuff, got more in it (the NAF one is supposed to be fed with a general supplement) and picky eaters like the apple flavor of Formula4Feet. I would remove the chaff from the diet though, just in case if he's sensitive to the molasses.

JenTaz

Visit site
you could try dengie healthy hooves, its specifically designed to promote hoof growth and to keep the hoof wall healthy, its a complete feed so doesnt need any mix added to it is similar to the happy hoof, and safe and sound, approved by the laminitic trust, has biotin pellets through it and even has added garlic, big seller in the equine store i work in, also you could try something along the lines of farriers formula or formula 4 feet i think its called and kevin bacon hoof dressing or cornecreisent as well

viceversa

Visit site
Thanks everyone.
Off today to get some Healthy Hooves and kevin bacon and/or cornucrescine, see how we go with them to start off with!