Products to deter fence chewing?

nikicb

www.facebook.com
What products are around to deter fence chewing? My yard is beginning to look as though it is inhabited by a small colony of beavers. I don't even like to leave them tied up for that long, but there are times when I have to and I am getting fed up with growling at them. Two of mine are fine. The other two think they deserve better than to be left tied up while I am sorting their messy pits out, waiting for the farrier, etc. Thank you. :) xx

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
What products are around to deter fence chewing? My yard is beginning to look as though it is inhabited by a small colony of beavers. I don't even like to leave them tied up for that long, but there are times when I have to and I am getting fed up with growling at them. Two of mine are fine. The other two think they deserve better than to be left tied up while I am sorting their messy pits out, waiting for the farrier, etc. Thank you. :) xx

We creosote (substitute) and engine oil ours and if we see them chewing we shoo them off and paint that bit and they soon get board

Can you not put this >>>>http://www.robinsonsequestrian.com/requisite-anti-chew-strip-galvanised-1190x170mm.html

over the top of the fencing where they are tied up to deter chewing?? Or put electric tape along the top

Last edited:

thatsmygirl

Visit site
I would look into their routine, are they stabled to long so are getting frustrated? Not enough hay? Or when I brought a wood chewer it was lack of vits/mins and within a couple of weeks he never done it again. I would be trying to find out why if it was me

nikicb

www.facebook.com
I would look into their routine, are they stabled to long so are getting frustrated? Not enough hay? Or when I brought a wood chewer it was lack of vits/mins and within a couple of weeks he never done it again. I would be trying to find out why if it was me

They are out all day, in at night. We are talking 5 minutes tied up, max 10. I hand on heart will say it is boredom, both of them also scrape their feet which I ignore and they stop. I just get fed up with chewed fences. When I say boredom, I mean they want attention now, not in 5 minutes, not because they are really bored. x

nikicb

www.facebook.com
We creosote (substitute) and engine oil ours and if we see them chewing we shoo them off and paint that bit and they soon get board

Can you not put this >>>>http://www.robinsonsequestrian.com/requisite-anti-chew-strip-galvanised-1190x170mm.html

over the top of the fencing where they are tied up to deter chewing?? Or put electric tape along the top

Thank you - some good suggestions, will check them out, but not the electric as I do want them to be happy stood tied up, but not chew the fence. :) x

nikicb

www.facebook.com
easiest way is to move the tie rigs so they are fitted on a wall or something similar that they cannot chew on

Unfortunately I am limited - no walls. Luckily their stables are the plastic wood with metal grills so nothing chewable. I do tie up to the lorry as it is parked on the yard. Unfortunately Cassie has now worked out how to remove the rubber stripping down the side of the lorry. Both my 8 year olds are like toddlers - everything in the mouth, nothing safe. My two 20 odd year olds wouldn't dream of it. x

Auslander

Visit site
Would a salt lick tied where they stand help? I've got one beaver here - the only time she doesn't chew the fence is when I tie her next to the salt lick.

I cribboxed the post and rail by my garden - but forgot that I like to lean on it and watch them sometimes!!

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Would a salt lick tied where they stand help? I've got one beaver here - the only time she doesn't chew the fence is when I tie her next to the salt lick.

I cribboxed the post and rail by my garden - but forgot that I like to lean on it and watch them sometimes!!

Yes that could be a possibility. Do they last in the open? Or I could put a carabiner up and hook it up each time I guess. Is cribbox still around - I know some things stopped due to EU law changes (I think). Will have a hunt for it. Thank you. xx

Auslander

Visit site
Yes that could be a possibility. Do they last in the open? Or I could put a carabiner up and hook it up each time I guess. Is cribbox still around - I know some things stopped due to EU law changes (I think). Will have a hunt for it. Thank you. xx

I've got himalayan salt licks, which last pretty well outside. Not sure re actual Cribbox, but I use Stop Cribbing from Lincoln

AppyLover

Visit site
Cribbox is pretty cheap and its what we use up our yard after a cribber appeared and within a few days the other 3 started following suite and the only factor that changed was the new horse that did it :) they very occasionally do it now but very rarely.

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Costs nothing but usually deters very well- their own muck. They will not normally chew that.

Cribbox is pretty cheap and its what we use up our yard after a cribber appeared and within a few days the other 3 started following suite and the only factor that changed was the new horse that did it :) they very occasionally do it now but very rarely.

Funny how all these Appy lovers appeared on my thread - my new girl is 1/4 Appy. ;) Will check out the cribbox - thank you. :) xx

AppyLover

Visit site
Funny how all these Appy lovers appeared on my thread - my new girl is 1/4 Appy. ;) Will check out the cribbox - thank you. :) xx

Haha and you also seem to be in West Berkshire just like me :D

Cribbox looks abit like melted caramel and feels like it to I always used to put 2 pairs of latex gloves on as it sticks under your nails like crazy :(

Last edited:

AppyLover

Visit site
Oh, we are very close. I am sure we have friends in common. xx

We probably do I don't have many horsey friends where we are other then our YO (others are either Thatcham or Suffolk) but our YO seems to be one of those people know almost everyone it seems lol :) which is always very handy

Last edited:

Mike007

Visit site
A decent vitamin and mineral additive should do the trick. In the wild they chew wood for minerals ,particularly phosphorous.

nikicb

www.facebook.com
A decent vitamin and mineral additive should do the trick. In the wild they chew wood for minerals ,particularly phosphorous.

Thank you. They already have minerals and vitamins in each of their bespoke supplements along with a mineral/salt lick in each of their stables.

This is really about unwanted habits rather than their dietary needs. I am beginning to wish I hadn't asked as it all seems to have become very complicated. :( If they are in their stables and I am on the yard they (my two younger horses) will pull their rugs off their rug racks and dump them on the yard. Believe me when they are handled they are the easiest and politest horses to be around. They just think that when I am on the yard they should be given every last second of my attention. I have several friends who are well respected members on here who know them all and will reassure that they lack nothing. All I asked for is the name of a product I can put on the fence. Thanks. :) xx

Last edited:

Mike007

Visit site
The thing about minerals is that they need to be in certain ratios and feeding a suplement may not necessarily fix the problem . In cattle it has been 100% proven that a lack of phosphorous leads to wood chewing. You might well reply that these are horses not cows , but I would merely respond that cattle get the money spent on them in research . Horses dont. No one has yet tested this out ,so dont dismiss it out of hand. A quick way to tell would be to ask yourself ,"does my pasture contain a lot of clover?". If yes ,then forget about phosphorous. If no ,then give it very serious consideration.

nikicb

www.facebook.com
The thing about minerals is that they need to be in certain ratios and feeding a suplement may not necessarily fix the problem . In cattle it has been 100% proven that a lack of phosphorous leads to wood chewing. You might well reply that these are horses not cows , but I would merely respond that cattle get the money spent on them in research . Horses dont. No one has yet tested this out ,so dont dismiss it out of hand. A quick way to tell would be to ask yourself ,"does my pasture contain a lot of clover?". If yes ,then forget about phosphorous. If no ,then give it very serious consideration.
Thank you actually there is a reasonable amount of clover in our grazing. I am not dismissing this but I know that both of these horses when tied up away from wood will scrape their front feet and Cam if in his stable will kick the door. This makes me sound terrible but we are talking 5 minutes out of a 24 hour period. Also if they chew the fences when tied up why don't they chew the fences when in their fields? I also purposely leave bits of wood in their fields for the sole purpose of chewing. I would just prefer them not to chew the odd bit of smart post and rail round the yard. :/

BuzzyBea

Visit site
Cribbox sorted ours out when they went through a phase of nibbling. Last bought a pot about a year ago so fingers crossed it is still easy to get hold of :) As has already been mentioned though you need to remember not to lean on it anymore!!!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Cribox is good, but it's a booger to get off your clothes etc. if you lean on it. Don't drape rugs or other horse clothing over the treated rails, either.

Some horses seem to love to chew wood even if they have a nutritionally balanced diet and lots of turnout, the little darlings :rolleyes3:.

Last edited:

thatsmygirl

Visit site

I know iv already posted but please do consider vits/mins, it worked for the 1 chewer I brought but I do horse sitting for people and have seen a lot of wood chewers, the ones that listened and brought a good vit/min supplement has stopped so I do feel it could help you. Some supplements aren't as good as some think but others are very good/no fillers and worth feeding. I suggest equimins advance complete as It goes in line with (our) local grazing, high iron very low copper and the equimins gives us no iron and great copper levels and like I say has worked for the horses iv looked after that went onto it. So it may be worth finding our what your grazing is possable lacking.

JillA

Visit site
Give them some old branches to chew on when they are turned out - they chew because they need whatever it is they can obtain from wood, and if they can get that elsewhere they are less likely to chew on your fences.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
They have old branches when out ;) I've seen them. They are also adequately supplemented as the OP uses hack up bespoke.

OP it might be the arab bit too ;) we used to have to cribbox the inside of the trailer to stop the anglo removing the rubber round the inside of the jockey door, sound familiar :p.

cribbox/lick/jolly ball to amuse? - a couple have them here as they will nom that rather than stables.

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Thank you all for taking the time to reply. I will take everything into consideration including mineral deficiencies. They do have old fence posts (natural untreated ones) in their fields which are occasionally chewed on. Just to put this into perspective, in the five years I have had the yard I still haven't had to replace a rail so it was really just a Friday night pondering to prevent a slight annoyance to me. Both horses also mouth a lot anyway - lead ropes, brushes left in reach, zip pulls, toggles. Thanks again. :) x

ETA thank you Ester - we cross posted. You will of course vouch for the fact that my fences are still fairly robust. :) xx

ETA again - and Ester you saw Cassie trying to dismantle the rubber from the side of the lorry as we were talking to each other and for three seconds took our attention off her. ;) x

Last edited: