Progress!

Denbob

Visit site
I'm sure I've posted in here rambling before about baby Denzel's inability to hack solo, largely through a lack of confidence and (we think) associated pain response to being hacked for hours on end as a 3yo by a total novice in a saddle with a broken tree.

A boatload of Intense physio, schooling to build a bit of muscle, almost two years to grow up physically and mentally and lots of fun low pressure hacking with friends and today we did a WHOLE HACK ON OUR OWN without a single wobble. Past the mares who were all bombing around, over logs and even managed a little trot.

I could have cried (and still might!) I know he's not totally over it and I'm sure there will be peaks and troughs but for now I'm so thrilled we had a brave and positive first solo hack - long may it continue. It's so hard to build a healthy happy horse when you're relying on people to hack out with you all the time, I'm lucky to have fabulous people on my yard but I feel like a burden sometimes so it's fantastic that we're able to take the first steps to being independent!

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Massive congratulations, well flipping done you. What a credit to your hard work and training.

Such a shame he had a dodgy start, but sounds like a lucky boy to have landed with you now.

SEL

Visit site
Chuffed for you too - & you give me hope! Two years ago i came off my then baby horse on a hack and she's been a nightmare on her own since. I struggle to get company to hack with too.

Fiona

Visit site
My son's pony is not great to hack in front or on her own, probably because she lived in a riding school.

We are slowly trying to get her to take the lead for longer distances, in the hope that going out alone may eventually happen.

Well done OP - super progress :)

Fiona