Project ponies

Sparkles

Visit site
Depends what you want it for? If I'm guessing resale then the d would be easier to sell as 14hh never is quite ideal for cobs on thr market. I find they need to be a full up 14.3hh at least to be easier to sell.

Lauranuup

Visit site
Undue of the breeding. Would this matter so much? What sorts of prices do they fetch? What would I need to get him doing ideally?

Blythe Spirit

Visit site
IMO you'd need to get him out competing and doing ok to add much to his value. Section D's are saleable I think esp if they are well bred. To my eye he looks like a pony club pony type more than the showing type. If hard to see what his schooling is like but seems to have a willing jump -I'd go clear round and Xc schooling then do some competitions going for reliable double clears and work on basic manners a polite horse sells better IMO

kassieg

Visit site
i agree with above tbh i would want to get him for 1k to consider a decent profit to make it worth while after adding costs & competition fees etc :)

thing is I hate it when sec d's are ridden like he is in that 1st pic & depending on his muscle it could take longer than a few months to get rid of that which would effect his price as you couldn't take him into a dressage comp as is & do well really

Lauranuup

Visit site
She did say she would take 900 for him as not done anything.

Kassie, she did ride him not very forward when I went to see him. She used a lot of leg but he wasn't really going anywhere! Apparently he hasn't been ridden much so hopefully it wouldn't take long to change. I'm really unsure what to do!

kassieg

Visit site
Ahh that's a decent price then :)

that could explain it then I thought he had been under saddle for at least a year, my mare when i first broke her used to try to curl herself in for the 1st couple of weeks so i literally rode her on the buckle & got her forward, hacking out helps a lot & its a lot easier to fix as a baby problem than if thats the way his muscle has developed
wouldn't worry me no where near as much in that case :)

CobsGalore

Visit site
Bit hard to see too much from the videos but he looks like a nice sort :) definitely overbent and looks quite uptight, but I think that's just how he's being ridden.

Did you ride him?

Lauranuup

Visit site
Yeah, he was broken late and she just doesn't have the time for him so he hardly gets ridden. I didn't aim to ride him in an outline as just wanted a feel for him and he was nice and forward and didn't tend to curl inwards or anything. I'm just not sure what to do.

kassieg

Visit site
at the end of the day when buying a project i always ask myself if anything goes wrong can i afford to keep it

i think when it comes to horses you just know, like I have a type i like but when buying a project i don't always buy my type like my current mare i love & she's pretty talented but shes not my type ! but i know in my gut when i look at something whether its right & what i can make out of it :)

Lauranuup

Visit site
Not sure how to get the videos from my phone onto here?

Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm going to uni in September albeit will be staying at home.

Ideally I would love to loan something I can just get on and have fun with though I can't find anything out there! And I miss riding and owning horses so much hence I thought could be fun to get a project. Otherwise I've no idea how I can ride more etc :(

Spottyappy

Visit site
He looks a useful sort.
Can you find out his breeding, as it does make a difference to the price.
Do you have your own yard, or are you on livery? I ask, as if livery much of any profit will go on that, reducing may thing you can get.

muckypony

Visit site
If you're buying because you want to ride more and cant find a suitable loan, why are you looking to sell in a few months?