Project: Spaghetti Legs

FfionWinnie

Visit site
November last year my horse of a life time died within 24hrs from EGS.

She was a palomino welsh D and I really really loved her.

I got another horse, Daisy, a month later, bought unseen from Ireland, who is a a megatastic coloured sporty Irish Cob. She is frankly, amazing.

However, the palo hankering has stayed with me. A couple of months ago I saw a palomino welsh D advertised on a dealer's website. I won't go into that too much but you can read between the lines a lot on that one ;)

When I got there to view the horse, having assumed it came from Wales or Ireland, I was surprised to find, I had already viewed her 8 months previously when it was for sale 2 owners ago, and was now 120kgs lighter. Oh, and less than half the price, and as it turned out, 20 times as mental.

They legged their rider on and she promptly stood right up and nearly fell over.

Reason "the saddle slipped".

Fixed the saddle as much as you can fix a saddle that does not in any way shape or form remotely fit and proceeded to sort of chase her round the yard while she panic stricken, pranced about a bit.

At this point I was thinking, well, she wasn't like this when I saw her last time but she was sold from the field and wasn't ridden when I saw her. Good job I didn't buy her eh.

Anyway as you do we followed them round to the school where she was ridden round in canter, napping, rearing, bucking, saddle slipping. It was like a scene from a cowboy movie, how not to sell a horse. She then was lunged with the rider on for a bit, kind of settled down (comparatively speaking) was let loose and then cantered round the school with only a few little bucks here and there. I was told she had been owned by a novice who was scared of her. I was also told how they had "cured" her bolshy behaviour at the dealer yard.

So I did what any sensible HHOer would do, and....

Bought the poor begger without a vetting or warranty (he confidently told me she doesn't nap tho - hmmm).

Passed over the cash and loaded into my brand new trailer, hoping she didn't kick it to smithereens on the way home.

I got her home and tied her up to the immovable lump which is my stock trailer. She proceeded to rear, kick, paw, stamp, shake, complain, you name it. I thought I better tie her up tighter. As soon as I went to retie her she bogged off. I couldn't stop her.

Every day for a week she got away from me usually about 3 times a day, I couldn't stop her even in a bridle it was such an ingrained habit. I got a special rope halter made with a loop which tightens over her nose if she tries to bog off, kind of like an extreme dually - its fine if she behaves and doesn't do anything but it means she can't get away (she's tried twice and the last time despite standing on my foot and towing me along for a bit, still didn't get away, she's mostly stopped trying now but I am always ready). Obviously I've also done lots of in hand work along with this.

At this point I would point out when I got her she was a dangerous mixture of terrified and bolshy which meant she would come at you if she felt threatened. However her real temperament was not at all nervous, really really poor handling over a prolonged period had made her like this.

The first few weeks were spent being tied to the stock box til she shut up and long reining including a few battles about going forward and not tanking off, 45 minutes walking her down to catch her, and turned out the rest of the time.

F13680A4-8B72-4CE6-8125-EF231E1B2DF1_zpstlgayhfu.jpg

Once I had her mostly behaving, I sat on her. She didn't do anything.

bd14b0d0be45784627a8525210906160_zpsfizn3u8h.jpg

I am kind of short of helpers so my next stage was to get on her. So sensibly I wore my body protector and hat, tied her to the trailer and got on. She didn't do anything, so I unclipped her and rode her round the yard. She didn't do anything wrong.

Those milestones passed, I boxed her over to my friend's yard and went out for a hack with her. She was fine.

941305B1-E6DD-4A71-A1E4-6FA1C6A3DB1B_zpsgzq4utbn.png

Third time I sat on her I took her to a local venue and trotted her round poles on the ground clear round. She was fine! (In fact more than fine).

Standing while I rode my other horse:
C71A27BA-EFBC-4D86-BFB2-4646FB2B441D_zpskw70vv1p.jpg

First hack out with my daughter as lead (BP removed for pic only!)

FA8982D7-0D42-4B7B-B862-57E51EB21194_zpsrd56278r.jpg

2 months on I am hacking her out alone, in company, leading my other horse off her and working on her schooling. She is the most unbalanced/badly schooled horse I've ever sat on but she's improving every day. She's no longer bolshy or terrified. In fact her attitude is great, she really wants to please, really keen to jump and bold as brass. Stands quietly when out and about. Self loads, calm in all situations and is a really nice horse.

50cm WH cr

DBE9DD01-2133-4B64-AE8E-D407D86403C8_zpsvdz1f9g7.jpg

Ride and lead:
C4C43AE0-42BC-410A-90AF-23D9C0FB28B3_zpsn2gxtliz.jpg

06C69C77-2815-429A-89BF-12BB1E77F28C_zpscdlppgsz.jpg

Working on control of legs (hers not mine!)

0029601B-E35A-4F7D-9224-8032FE4CBBDD_zpsnpufe9je.jpg

Jumping lesson (raised/poles on ground mainly)

45CA4916-F00A-4FF4-8AB7-9E055E24B304_zps64c1luoe.jpg

DABD5047-CB37-4E08-9A5C-A1B6ECC5C531_zpswsl3w6of.jpg

She still has a mountain to climb with her schooling and strength and her manners need continual work, but it would seem like she's on her way to a happily ever after (fingers crossed eh!).

Having her, strangely, has helped me a lot too. I've been able to put up a pic of my horse Hallie who died. Which I couldn't have done before. She's not a replacement but she has a lot of characteristics in common with Hallie and we're healing each other.

Last edited:

Dusty85

Visit site
What a beautiful mare.

Massive well done on what you have achieved with her, shes landed on her feet with you.

Look forward to hearing more about your adventures together

soulfull

Visit site
That's awesome, well done!! She looks and sounds amazing.
Is she welsh?
I look forward to hearing more stories

Oh by I would not have bought her, too old and crippled nowadays (10 years ago I would have lol) hmm I did, but he was also 17.2h omg

FfionWinnie

Visit site
What a beautiful mare.

Massive well done on what you have achieved with her, shes landed on her feet with you.

Look forward to hearing more about your adventures together

Thanks. She's a rewarding horse to work with :)
She is gorgeous - and she is very lucky indeed to have found you. Lots of updates, please! :)

Thanks, I think it must have been meant to be that I got her!
Really lovely post :) she's stunning!! Looking forward to your future updates :)

Thanks. She's the most lanky badly put together horse I've owned but nothing that I think will affect her longevity just best not to look at her trotting front on lol
That's awesome, well done!! She looks and sounds amazing.
Is she welsh?
I look forward to hearing more stories

Oh by I would not have bought her, too old and crippled nowadays (10 years ago I would have lol) hmm I did, but he was also 17.2h omg

Ha, thanks. Yes she is very Welsh. She's 15.2. It did occur to me it was the same horse but they had brushed her (curly) mane and she was so much thinner I just discounted that thought almost as soon as I had it. A series of other events meant I never knew her registered name until I got there or I may not have gone! I got there 10 minutes before another purchaser who was also wanting to buy her despite the theatrics.

You have done a super job with her, she looks lovely!

Thanks. She's far from perfect but I hope she will become less spaghetti like in time lol. I'm really enjoying working with her and it means I can lead my other horse out instead of riding her (she needs exercised every day as she has PSSM, but I think being led is equally good; she just has to be moving).

Pinkvboots

Visit site
She is lovely I can totally understand why you bought her, it seems like it was just meant to be and you both needed each other I will look forward to her updates:)

Orangehorse

Visit site
What an incredible job you have done with her. I like your attitude, and obviously your horse does too. Knowing when to be firm and when to be soft is something that not everyone can do correctly (including me!).

Keep us updated, it is a great story and I hope you have lots and lots of success with her.

silv

Visit site
That is great, what a lovely mare, I love palominos. It just shows she just needed firm, fair consistent handling. She must be much happier knowing her boundaries.

Goodness knows where she might have ended up had you not bought her. Look forward to the updates.

Ladyinred

Visit site
I love her. She looks so happy ( actually happier as the pictures progress) and I will bet she is a really kind mare. My chestnut Sec D has lousy limb conformation, but it doesn't stop her being a totally awesome and sweet mare.

hobo

Visit site
Fantastic post she is very lucky that you found her and you are lucky as I am sure she will fill your heart as the days go on.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
She is lovely I can totally understand why you bought her, it seems like it was just meant to be and you both needed each other I will look forward to her updates:)

Thanks. My friend who was with me (who saw me get chucked off another welsh D I had bought and returned due to undisclosed behaviour!) was having a heart attack trying to convince me not to buy her. Glad I didn't listen now lol

What an incredible job you have done with her. I like your attitude, and obviously your horse does too. Knowing when to be firm and when to be soft is something that not everyone can do correctly (including me!).

Keep us updated, it is a great story and I hope you have lots and lots of success with her.

Thanks! I have had a few really difficult horses (due to human handling) and learnt some things with each of them. She's my third Welsh D and I'm getting to know how their minds work!
She is going to be fab!

Well done you!! It just shows what a routine, firm handling and a sympathetic owner can do.

Thanks :). Yes she needs firm handling and probably always will but Ds always like to know you're in charge I've found. When they have to be on charge the problems start.

What a fab little lady! I love her kind eye and eager expression. Wishing you both lots of fun together.

Thank you. She does have a lovely nature. Very sweet under all the carry on.

That is great, what a lovely mare, I love palominos. It just shows she just needed firm, fair consistent handling. She must be much happier knowing her boundaries.

Goodness knows where she might have ended up had you not bought her. Look forward to the updates.

Thanks you're right that's all she needed. I didn't even do much with her the first three or four weeks but what I did do was consistent and I always won. I do think her colour meant she was on a slippery slope. I love palos but buying one just because of the colour as some people do is dangerous. Although I do keep telling her she's lucky she isn't bay or she could have ended up anywhere lol

I love her. She looks so happy ( actually happier as the pictures progress) and I will bet she is a really kind mare. My chestnut Sec D has lousy limb conformation, but it doesn't stop her being a totally awesome and sweet mare.

She dishes in front and is very close behind - main reason I didn't buy her the first time, along with being over priced in my eyes. I don't think those faults will cause any long term issues, I don't want to show. Not sure if it would affect her dressage career but we're a looong way from that anyway :D
Is she by any chance by Janton Lightning?

No, Hallie the one who died was by J Lightning (also bought cheap as she napped too although less dramatically, she was a far better quality mare than this one but did lack stamina at times), this one isn't related.

They share a lot of similarities character wise however.

Zalie

Visit site
I know nothing about taking on a project horse, but she is beautiful and even I can see how she looks so happy to be yours. :)

tashcat

Visit site
This put a huge smile on my face.. I didn't expect it at all when I clicked on the post! :)

Sounds like you've put a mountain of work into her, and although it'll take time, she really couldn't have landed in a better place!

Hope you enjoy her, and sorry about losing your little girl last year x

Embo

Visit site
Amazing job, well done. A nice little pick-me-up on a soggy Monday morning!

She looks a sweet mare, very pretty.

southerncomfort

Visit site
This is fantastic! You have done an amazing job with her.

These horses are so easily misunderstood and labelled as bad horses.

At the risk of sounding a bit 'rainbows & fairies', it sounds like you were meant to find each other. ;)

Noodles_3

Visit site
She is lovely! You have done so well with her. Just shows what a bad or wrong person for a horse can do to it. You got there in time with your mare and she looks like she's thriving with her new life! Well done :)

misskk88

Visit site
I loveeee her!

Can I just say that it really is true when you are able to read a horse through their eyes. She looks bright, relaxed and they have that 'kind' gentle look to them!

She is one lucky mare and has really landed on her feet by the sounds of it.

Mongoose11

Visit site
Spider/Spaghetti legs is so lucky to have found you to show her the right way to do things. She's really coming on and is an absolute credit to you!