Prop Shaft - update

Sparklet

Visit site
Thanks for the advice about driving lorry to repair place and rough estimates of the cost. Thought I would update on how it all went.

My lorry sharer drove the lorry and I followed in my car - so that I could give her a lift back later. Knocking noise was rhythmic and audible driving down the main by-pass towards the town.

As we hit the main town traffic the noise got louder but every metre driven was a metre nearer the repair place so she soldiered on. I turned up my radio to drown out the noise because it was making me nervous. She said every time it got too bad she put her foot on the clutch as it seemed to ease when she did so. Together we nursed poor old lorry along until we finally made it.

Quizzed our repair man on likely cause, cost, timeframe etc and he said it was probably the prop shaft, they had a second hand on in the garage and we could have it back the next day. He said very very rarely the same noise could be due to the differential which would be very costly and nasty job to fix but he doubted it would be the problem. Took my number and said he would give a proper price during the morning.

Phone rang later, how wrong he was - it was the rare problem and it was costly. The differential had gone - he had located a second hand one 100+ miles away but the total including fitting would be £530.

Just picked it up - perfect. Poor bloke gave me the quote before he realised he actually had to strip the spare part differential off the lorry before he could return and fit it to ours. Considering the messy job, 200 mile round trip, fitting etc it probably isnt that bad a price.

Hopefully no-one will tell me that there are shelves full of lorry differentials at Halfords for £2.99
grin.gif

Alibear

Visit site
Blimey your mechanic sounds like a super star I'd hang on to him.
Cheep repair (for what was done I know £500 is a lot) done fast and on time to! Miracle.

Sparklet

Visit site
Not 99p at Halfords then - thank God.

He is not a horsebox person, but a commercial lorry man. I suspect we are a bit of a change from the usual burly male lorry drivers who are his main customers. Me and lorry sharer always pop a bit of lippy on before we go.
wink.gif

Sparklet

Visit site
Hi Amymay,

She spent a week in horspital where the eye was flooded every two hours through a canula which was fitted through the lid.

She came home a week last Friday and I must admit I was disappointed to see some cloudyness remaining - the vet said it might never completely clear but she could see and it would not affect her.

He sent her with some steriod drops and I am really pleased to see that virtually all the cloudyness has disappeared and what remains is getting smaller every day. Daughter has started riding her again much to her disgust (pony not daughter
grin.gif
)

Its taken a really long time to get to this point and I have really worried about whether she would lose the eye but things do look really hopeful.

Its really nice of you to remember her BTW - thanks.
smile.gif

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Great news. Friends horse not doing so great. Going in a couple of weeks.

It's wonderful to hear that yours has had a successful outcome.