Proper Horses and Ponies, Cornwall

legend22

Visit site
Has anyone bought a horse from here or had any feedback about them? Not heard of them before but just been looking at one I like on their website. Thanks.

flintmeg

Visit site
They have abit of a rep, but you will hear good and bad on terms of what people have had from them. Go with open eyes and be cautious but it's like that's with most dealers. I got one off them who bolted on the roads with me, swapped it for another who iv now had 4 years this month and he's been a star never puts a foot wrong and is so genuine (down fall he is a seasonal head shaker) but they did say that. Got a couple of friends who have had youngsters and they have turned out very well just needed some tlc and feed.

devonlass

Visit site
Bought a fell pony off him few years ago.Was exactly what it said on the tin so to speak.

Fab pony who knew his job despite being relatively young when I got him.Now in Scotland and is an excellent (and bombproof it has to be said,nothing phased that pony) ride and drive.To add another string to his bow I believe he is also doing very well competitively in side saddle.

No idea about the guy's private life,and not my place to judge anyway,but he is as far as I'm aware *usually* fairly honest about the horses he sells.Small time dealer in a difficult market at the end of the day though,eyes wide open and don't let yourself be pressured into anything.

jrp204

Visit site
Fair comment but people are judged by their behavior and reputation. The info available doesn't instill much confidence for a potential customer.

His reputation as a dealer is no worse than many other dealers, go in with your eyes open and get a vetting done, his behaviour as a dealer as far as I am aware is no different. But personally I wouldn't be having a fling with him but this should have no influence on his trading business.

Zebedee

Visit site
Very True JRP. He generally aims for a quick turnover so his prices are reasonable. I know quite a few who have purchased horses of various types from him, & as far as I am aware the vast majority of his clients are satisfied. He does seem to respond fairly to those who aren't - the worst I've heard recently is that he took a couple of months to exchange a horse, but that was due to him not having anything suitable in that time, & I have to say that the horse he did eventually produce for that owner was spot on.

Queenbee

Visit site
His reputation as a dealer is no worse than many other dealers, go in with your eyes open and get a vetting done, his behaviour as a dealer as far as I am aware is no different. But personally I wouldn't be having a fling with him but this should have no influence on his trading business.

Personally, while I'm no fan of his personal life, I'm less of a fan of his practices and his reputation as a dealer. Older horses are generally not as described and youngsters are mostly heavily worm burdened, scouring, and not all that trusting. In my experience, I would look somewhere else, however that's not to say some people including myself haven't got lucky and found some gems but they do need a lot of work.

thatsmygirl

Visit site
Barge pole.

THIS, personally only known 1 good horse come out that place and anybody serious about buying would google to collect a bit of background I would hope and then go with a open mind. But I'm quite harsh and think if people buy from that place after doing a bit of research and still go ahead its on their head be it if they get any trouble with said horse. Personally would buy from a decent breeder or dealer but prices could be a lot higher so also depends on what people are perpaired to pay I suppose

Lammy

Visit site
My yearling was bred by them but I didn't buy him from them as a weanling, got him when he was a few months older from somebody else. From what she told me they weren't the nicest of people, made her take him at 5 months as they wanted him gone and previous to that she had to go down and do all the handling with him as they wouldn't. She had to get his passport done as they wouldn't so it hasn't got his parentage or DOB on it ):

They sound like very unhelpful people tbh. Yearling is fab however, don't think that it's much to do with what they did, just him in general.

charliemags

New User
Visit site
I recently purchased a horse from David for my daughter. Made it very clear what i wanted. David will tell you what you want to hear to get rid of a horse. When the 'good with farrier' horse wouldn't let the farrier get near him 2 weeks later- it was our fault..we had done something to him! The horse is also "good when clipped" even though his clip was half done.... (the clippers broke mid service apparently!) When he bronched a rider off 3 weeks later i called him. Luckily it wasn't my 11 year old daughter riding him although the rider did unfortunately end up with cracked ribs...again...it was our fault. He said on the phone that he would 'have to' exchange the horse & and to have a look online at his other horses. I did. But then surprise, surprise he wouldnt reply to my text or answer my calls. So, we have bought a project horse for non-project horse money! We shall wait for Karma (& a bit of forum surfing/posting)
It was amazing the amount of contradiction that can come from 1 person. "He IS suitable for your daughter, he is definately 16.2 ive had a stick on him" 3 weeks later..." what do you expect buying a young 17h horse....she'd be better on a 14.2-15hh"....
When viewing I chose to ignore the cut mouth and wet horse (apparently hosed off to make him cleaner!) The horse next door was a big chap and David explained that some woman had 'over-horsed herself' so he'd come in on part ex. I said "isn't that what we are doing as this one is a big chap for an 11 year old?" To which David replied No! 3 weeks later we had "over-horsed ourselves"
He (the horse) is the most frightened horse...doesn't like men... or hose pipes. He most certainly isn't suitable for a kid or teenager but thats my fault apparently! We will work with him (the horse) but people need to know there are 2 sides to David- depending on which stage of the sale you are at!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I recently purchased a horse from David for my daughter. Made it very clear what i wanted. David will tell you what you want to hear to get rid of a horse. When the 'good with farrier' horse wouldn't let the farrier get near him 2 weeks later- it was our fault..we had done something to him! The horse is also "good when clipped" even though his clip was half done.... (the clippers broke mid service apparently!) When he bronched a rider off 3 weeks later i called him. Luckily it wasn't my 11 year old daughter riding him although the rider did unfortunately end up with cracked ribs...again...it was our fault. He said on the phone that he would 'have to' exchange the horse & and to have a look online at his other horses. I did. But then surprise, surprise he wouldnt reply to my text or answer my calls. So, we have bought a project horse for non-project horse money! We shall wait for Karma (& a bit of forum surfing/posting)
It was amazing the amount of contradiction that can come from 1 person. "He IS suitable for your daughter, he is definately 16.2 ive had a stick on him" 3 weeks later..." what do you expect buying a young 17h horse....she'd be better on a 14.2-15hh"....
When viewing I chose to ignore the cut mouth and wet horse (apparently hosed off to make him cleaner!) The horse next door was a big chap and David explained that some woman had 'over-horsed herself' so he'd come in on part ex. I said "isn't that what we are doing as this one is a big chap for an 11 year old?" To which David replied No! 3 weeks later we had "over-horsed ourselves"
He (the horse) is the most frightened horse...doesn't like men... or hose pipes. He most certainly isn't suitable for a kid or teenager but thats my fault apparently! We will work with him (the horse) but people need to know there are 2 sides to David- depending on which stage of the sale you are at!

I am not defending the dealer but half the things you have mentioned when you looked at the horse would have had me running for the hills, presenting a wet half clipped horse that is supposed to 16.2 when its clearly much bigger would have been enough for me to walk away, did it not ring alarm bells for you!

thatsmygirl

Visit site
I am not defending the dealer but half the things you have mentioned when you looked at the horse would have had me running for the hills, presenting a wet half clipped horse that is supposed to 16.2 when its clearly much bigger would have been enough for me to walk away, did it not ring alarm bells for you!

Totally agree, and as I put in my post last year about him, there's anough info on google to make u wary before u go but by your post I would have been v wary by what I was seeing anyway. Wet horse? Half clipped? Without being rude I take it your a novice horse owner?

Haslemerehorses1

New User
Visit site
So having just dealt with these people I feel compelled to add to this thread!

David Stephens personal history is, of course, relevant! Especially if you are a female!! Google for more info, as we did but not until AFTER we had purchased. He has a variety of incidents and a fair amount of police history!

We informed David the day after purchase of our issues.

Eventually managed to get him to agree to have pony back and issue a refund!

We arrived at yard with pony, but took LOTS of precautions after he was verbally abusive over the phone and having googled his history!

He then proceeded to intimidate us, shouting and swearing and of course it was all our fault! The pony was so sweet and absolutely ideal temperament wise but when she could not get up after lying down and then being virtually on her knees after a walking hack, then she was obviously not fit for a young girl to take to pony club!

He offered us less than what we paid but eventually, when his wife stepped in I hasten to add, he relented and paid us full amount.

Dealers inevitably have the odd horse that does not suit for one reason or another and I have always said it is the way the dealer then tackles those issues that makes for a good or bad one!

We had agreed several things when we viewed pony and when we went to collect her the passport was not available. As far as we can make out passport was never in his possession and many times he was on his way to pick it up from previous owner, but was never forwarded as agreed and signed for on receipt

There are lots of things I could say about the little man but will stop now as will descend into something unpalatable!

BE WARNED, thoroughly unpleasant man to deal with and aggressive and abusive!

Haslemerehorses1

New User
Visit site
I assume you didn't have the pony vetted then?

Would not have passed vetting, so chose not to! Pony had some issues which we were assured were manageable and would still be up to job of low level pony club. Not the case and convinced she was medicated, though cannot be certain 😉

When you can't leave pony alone for more than a couple of hours at a time and you pray every time you leave her that she won't lie down and thrash around trying to get up, then really not something you want young girl finding!!!