Pros and Cons of hiring out your trailer

skint1

Visit site
I have an Ifor Williams 510 which for the most part sits around doing nothing, I don't want to sell it because my daughter is riding a new horse and may have opportunity to take him places and I may eventually have another one. I'm going to have some massive vet bills and thought that rather than selling it might be good to rent the trailer out to people as a proper business. Does anyone have any experience of renting out a trailer to people as a business? Is it worth doing?

DragonSlayer

Visit site
If it gets damaged it can be costly and at the moment Ifor Williams are having issues with their new suppliers for parts! We are having to wait until July-ish for a piece of panelling! You could be waiting for ages for new bits to replace the damaged bit....

SuperH

Visit site
I've not hired mine out but my previous trailer has been borrowed by family members. Each time it has come back broken (and not even told me or paid for the repairs). Since I've had my current trailer I won't lend out to anyone unless it was an emergency. In this area you can hire a trailer for £35 a day. Doesn't seem worth it to me.

skint1

Visit site
Thanks both, that's definitely sobering to think that you could charge someone £35 and they could knack your trailer and then you can't get the Ifor parts to even make it roadworthy

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
You would have to look at insuring the trailer for 'hire or reward' which may be expensive. Additionally you would probably have to check the hirers driving licence because younger drivers have to pass trailer tests & if they haven't & something happens your insurance could be null & void. You would possibly have to take a deposit to ensure it comes back clean & mucked out. Renting your trailer out may make you a few pounds but it could also cost you more.

flaxen

Visit site
I wouldnt hire my trailer out but am more than happy to take a friends ponies anywhere if needed when her lorry is broken, like today as shes got some conservation ponies to swap round. Its not being used since my pony died and it will do it good to get out for a run.

sport horse

Visit site
I have had a panel for back ramp on order since early November - no sign of it as yet and seeing Dragonslayer's post I m not likely to see it soon. Not impressed!

night_mare

Visit site
As others have said you run the risk of having the trailer returned damaged - but worse than that if involved in a serious accident it could be totally destroyed or the hirer could steal it and you'd have no trailer at all, not even a damaged one. Therefore it would be sensible to ensure that is was insured - but if hiring out as a business you'd need commercial insurance, and this would probably be quite costly because of the high risk involved.