Pros/cons of stables in field

monkeynut

Visit site
I'm looking at taking on a couple of stables and by the looks of it they are directly in the field. They are 'proper' stables and not just shelters, and have a small amount of hard standing but I'm just trying to think of the pros and cons (can't think of any pros though!!)

I suppose I could potentially fence them off with electric fence....

I've been searching for months so am not exactly spoilt for choice. I'm viewing the place next week.

Shoei

Visit site
If one horse is in and another is out they invade the stable space.

If you are tacking up it becomes a group activity... I invested in portable fencing!

3OldPonies

Visit site
Mine are in the field, I have them fenced off with electric tape, group activities being all the rage without it! (think one tied up being groomed and one emptying the grooming box at the same time) the I also need the fence to stop the ponies demolishing the building, the stables are getting on a bit and are feeling their age, I'm sure that one day a particularly enthusiastic bum scratch will see them falling to the ground. But they are not mine though and so nothing I can do about it, I only rent rather than owning the place.

DD265

Visit site
I have been in that setup before and loved it because you could leave the doors open for access. But yes, the ponies were constantly about if you were there. Ideally I would've put post and rail around the yard with a nice wide gate so that there was flexibility to close the area off/leave it open.

Hawks27

Visit site
If renting I would look at temporary fencing around the area, if buying and field big enough (funds dependent) I would post a rail a good section around the stables and put a small all weather/hard standing area in.
As above having loose horses wandering around while your working with one is very hazardous, I got trapped by a stallion attacking his buddy who I had tied up grooming and am now missing a chunk of flesh from my arm as he bit me instead of the horse when I tried to separate them.

rowan666

Visit site
we had this set up, nightmare! we have now fenced around them to stop the mud and being hounded while grooming/mucking out etc

tashcat

Visit site
Considering the situation, I think its not a huge disadvantage and as suggested a temporary fence if renting/ permanent if buying, is a good idea!

Keep us posted.

elsielouise

Visit site
We created an electric fence area around the stables but also used electric tape to fence off between each stable with an electric gate in between that could be closed or open. Recommend Met posts - thereby creating night time option for separate paddocks to manage feeding and yet allow free access. Worked brilliantly and my permanent stables will have the same but with post and rail. Invest in good quality 'gate' systems and you can actually create really useful holding areas/diet management paddocks.

Can only imagine the annoyance value of not fencing though - no thank you!

monkeynut

Visit site
Thanks, it's renting so will have to be temporary fencing... The comments are enough for that to be a definite for me!!

I*HM

Visit site
I had tape around my stable as was direct into the field and big horse was a ****** and would just stand directly outside coblet's stable if he was in and big horse was out. However, I did like having it so that where it a particularly hot/wet/cold day, I could open the fence up and leave stable door open for horse to come and go as he pleased. Also made it handy for quick feeding/rug changes/turn out as didn't have to go trapsing through multiple gateways to get to horses - they were nice and close by. In winter, though it is a bit of a pain on the mud front, I also was able to give adlib hay in the stable and leave the stable door open for horse to come in to eat. Saved having a big ring of hay in the field and let pony have somewhere dry to munch - my stables very much doubled as field shelters!

The last winter I had horses, I put down wood chips outside the stable door to try and prevent it becoming just a super mud bath. Probably could find something similar (if not more suitable) to chuck down to prevent it becoming super churned up if you think that's likely (also put quite a long overhang on the stables and that saved the ground outside a bit).

WelshD

Visit site
i have stables in my field, the area does get muddy.

If you have a temp fence around them its useful to keep moving the gateway or you end up with a poached track

I personally don't have a fence around mine but I do have alternative paddocks so can rest the area around the stables. They are useful if you have one that needs to be in and one that can stay out (as long as the one that is in can cope with the other directly outside which mine can) it saves bringing one in unnecessarily

My stables have a narrow hardstanding strip of 3ft so I have extended with with some ground stabilizing stuff, this is temporary and can be removed if we hand the rented field back but it gives me another 4ft of 'solid' ground when I am doing chores in winter

GoldenWillow

Visit site
Our shelter that doubles up as stables when we need it have worked really well. I've grass mats in front and a small amount of hardcore, the stables do have a good overhang which helps. I've thought about either permanent or temporary fencing the area off but in the 5 years I've had this set up and with 3 different horses/ponies I've never needed to but it's always there as an option.

Potato!

Visit site
I have my stables in the field. Never had a problem when I habe more than one as I'd always put them all in when I was going anything with them anyway. Now I habe one horse it's easy. It's not fences off as found they would be hanging around making a mess of the field when waiting to come in. I'd rather leave the doors open and they could go in themselves

Under-the-radar

Visit site
I have stables in the field with just a strip of concrete at the front. I actually like the fact that if one horse is out they will stand with the others. This has been very useful come fireworks nights etc - the youngster comes and goes, and so chooses to stand with the others. By doing this, all 3 horses are much calmer when fireworks are going off!

:)

LynH

Visit site
I have my stables in the field with a substantial yard in from of them. I have 3 stables and leave the doors open so the horses can use them as field shelters. They are all mares and know the pecking order and can safely vacate a stable if the boss comes in after them. It works really well for me as I hay and water on the yard and then rotate fields off the main field like a track system. They have to walk down for water which is good exercise and as the stables are near the house I get to check on them regularly when they wander down. I love how differently they all use the stables and am so grateful I can give them a natural lifestyle but with a lot of shelter. Some nights they stay in almost all night and then don't use the stables at all for days. They do use them more in summer.
I do tend to bring them all in for an hour or so before I ride so not really an issue when I'm tacking up on the yard etc.
The only problem is that 2 of them are light switcher oners. So I can randomly look out and find the yard lights and/or stable lights on.

lamlyn2012

Visit site
I used to have stables in the field but then had the area fenced and hardstanding added. Used to leave stable doors open and both horses used to go in the same stable together. One night I was going to get them in when they both decided to rush out of the stable together and pulled the whole front down. It was a frosty night and they went thundering round the field on the hard ground, then had to quickly find temp livery whilst the debris was cleared and stables rebuilt. The area outside the doors got very muddy eventually and it was hard to find a suitable hardstanding that didn't get slippy in icy conditions. Wood chip works short term but will just end up a muddy mess without proper ground prep. I wouldn't have that arrangement again.

old hand

Visit site
I have stables in the field, we have put a large area of road planings outside the boxes, they are fenced into a paddock in front of each which is great for winter when I can feed them individually and leave their doors open if the weather is good enough. The planings keep the front from getting muddy and double up as foot hardening too. I also have the option of putting two horses together by closing off the electric fences in a different way. They do sometimes go in together but as they get on anyway it is not a problem as this is usually summer and they are out together anyway. They love being able to come in out of the rain and flies and are very calm as basically they do what they like.