Prostaglandin - how effective is it?

rosie-ellie

Visit site
My mare had her injection friday for insemintion Tuesday fingers crossed but so many people have told me it didn't work for them, and may not work because i'm having frozen semen but i cant see how it would make a difference. My mare has silent seasons so you can never tell if she is/isn't in season. So was just wondering if a few have had good experiences especially with frozen semen because I've looked online and can't find a great deal of reviews of people.

Thanks

koeffee

Visit site
Im finding mares being pg'd this year are coming in very early and ready for insemination 3 days later, if pging to early after they have seasoned then it wont work, unless you scan you wont know?!

crabbymare

Visit site
PG works well but the mare needs to have ovulated at least 5 days previously or there will be no CL for it to act on. if you are using frozen semen you need to be a lot more accurate with the timing and inseminate as close to ovulation as possible which usually means scanning twice or more a day to get the optimum time. even with PG and then HCG when the folicle looks about to pop you cannot guarantee that the mare will ovulate at a specific time and if she were mine I would be scanning tomorrow to make sure she has a folicle thats nearly ready but one good thing about frozen semen is that if it turns out that tuesday is to late a good repro vet will be able to store it for you and use it when she is ready

Last edited:

Spring Feather

Visit site
So how did it work out for you OP?

I don't PG my own mares or use Deslorelin or HCG on them, however some of my breeding clients choose to with their mares. This year I've given a couple of client mares PG and later HCG, neither responded to these shots but it has been a very odd breeding season this year so it didn't totally surprise me.

I see you are using frozen semen. I use a fair amount of frozen semen and have always had fantastic results (mares have always settled first time). The mares here who are being bred with fresh/chilled semen are bred at home with me, the mares who are being bred frozen I always take to the repro clinic as they are scanned every 6 hours and then every 2 hours when close to ovulation. Frozen goes in immediately after ovulation and my vet does deep horn insemination which is probably why I've had 100% positive results with frozen over the years. The vet only uses a third of a dose for each breeding which leaves me with a fair whack of semen sitting in my nitrogen tank for future pregnancies and that saves me a huge amount of money over the years. With frozen I only buy per dose as there are no restrictions. I'm not interested in Live Foal Guarantees so there's no point in me buying full breedings.

rosie-ellie

Visit site
She's now at the vets, she has a good size folicule and today has had the HCG. She's being scanned every six house then when close to ovulating it'll be every 2. They said when she's ovulated they insert the semen but (excuse me if i've mis-heard) they said her uterus needs to be soft for semen to go through - is that correct? If she doesn't take I have another sample stored at the vets but i'm glad to hear someone having good success :)

What's a deep horn insemination spring feather?

Spring Feather

Visit site
What's a deep horn insemination spring feather?

The difference between traditional insemination and deep horn insemination is when AIing deep horn the vet uses a video endoscope called a hysteroscope to guide them to the uterine horn and they then deposit the semen right at the tip of the horn rather than in traditional AI where the vet just deposits the semen into the body of the uterus. Deep horn means you can use far less semen compared to the amount needed with the traditional insemination. For example this year I bought some seriously expensive frozen semen; 2 doses, which was made up of 3 straws per dose, plus the agent gave me one free straw just in case one exploded on us, so in all I had 7 straws of this semen. I had 2 mares successfully inseminated deep horn using just one straw per mare, so I still have 5 straws left to use in future years. Deep horn has worked out more expensive for me for vet fees however the money I've saved by only using a third of each dose is well worth it.

rosie-ellie

Visit site
Thanks spring feather.

My Vets unsure whether to go ahead with A.I because my mare has no edema, she has a good size folecule and has given her another dose of Prostaglandin to see if the edema will increase. Apart form that she has everything else and is ready to go just waiting for her to ovulate.