Prostaglandin to bring mare into heat.

Simplehorse

New User
Visit site
So, I have a TB mare that I'm putting into foal this year, preferably this month but might have to be next. The problem is she doesn't show her seasons, not even a tiny bit, although since I've been keeping an eagle eye I think I've noticed a few changes in her these past few days.
I've been reading a bit about PG but can't make sense of it all, it does so many different things! If I give her the jab will it definitely bring on her season and will she start to show signs of being in season? Also will it affect her fertility? Is she still going to have to be scanned multiple times?She's being done AI if that changes anything.

ihatework

Visit site
PG’ing a horse is pretty standard, especially when using AI.

Your vet will scan and advise where she is in her cycle and PG if she is a way from ovulating.

You will still need scans so that you can time the AI right.

Most vets offer a package per cycle so it’s all included.

eventer28

Visit site
I had a mare that didn't show in heat! The vets said she had a persistent corpus luteum which secretes progesterone and stopped the mare coming into heat. We PG'd her and bingo, she caught first time!

Puzzled

Visit site
I’d get scanned to see where she is in her cycle and then PG her from there. Ive always PG’d my mares myself and it makes life much easier when it comes to AI ing them.

cundlegreen

Visit site
I'm going through the same atm. My mare never shows anything even to my stallion. She is being AI'd, and has been 3 times this week to ascertain whether to inseminate, A 39mm follicle has now gone altogether, and we reckon with better weather, she'll produce a decent size follicle. At no time has my vet ( who does a lot of AI work) suggested PG'ing. A season is one thing, and good enough follicle for Ai is another, and the weather here has gone cold, so it's a waiting game.

Simplehorse

New User
Visit site
That's interesting, I see most people (even mentioned above) recommending PG'ing especially with AI. Is there just no point in doing it sometimes?

JillA

Visit site
It gives studs a bit more precision knowing when to cover, and presumably similar for A1. My mares were usually PG'd to bring them round at a specific time, even though their cycles were very regular. I heard there were side effects though, like hot flushes.

cundlegreen

Visit site
It gives studs a bit more precision knowing when to cover, and presumably similar for A1. My mares were usually PG'd to bring them round at a specific time, even though their cycles were very regular. I heard there were side effects though, like hot flushes.
It's usual for them to sweat profusely after the injection.

sport horse

Visit site
It also helps if you are importing chiled semen to know pretty much exactly when the mare will be ready to cover. For example I am using a stallion from which they collect semen on Mondays, Wednesday's and Fridays and next week we have Easter so even if they collect semen will the couriers actually deliver it in time?! PG quite useful!!