Protect open wound from flies

huskydamage

Visit site
My horse had a nasty puncture wound 4weeks ago, bandage is now off and applying manuka honey cream vet gave me but everytime it forms a scab it ends up raw by the time I get back from work were the flies have eaten it. I can't cover it as that makes the scab all liquid and gross. I'm thinking of making a donut to tape over it with some gauze or something so it gets air. But would welcome any better ideas
1st pic is it in the morning
2nd pic end of the day 😟

Attachments

• _20190710_194548.JPG
    _20190710_194548.JPG
    685.5 KB · Views: 12
  • _20190710_194523.JPG
    _20190710_194523.JPG
    784.8 KB · Views: 12

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
I like the bright yellow stuff that combines an antibacterial with a fly repellent. but I can't remember what it is called!

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Filterbac would do it I think?

Or you could try one of those donuts you can get in Boots for making a hair bun, a bit of light gauze and some clever bandaging?

I have some fly repellent wound gunk too, Protection Plus? Not sure how good it is for healing but it's likely to keep the flies off.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
I am having a similar problem with one of my donkeys - last summer we had a horrendous time trying to heal up a very small wound on his ball sack (thankfully empty for many years now!) the flys plagued the wound right into Autumn when at last it healed over completely and the associated swelling disappeared almost over night when the flies did.

Unfortunately just 5 days ago I noticed the f**+kin' flies are clustered on the old scar site like a bunch of blackberries :mad: and it is open and swelling yet again. We happened to be well away from the tack room and all the usual remedies but happened to have a small spray can of Savlon antiseptic bandage with me and used that. I have applied everyday since and so far the flies are away from it and the swelling is reducing. Its working wonderfully well, but trouble is I cant seem to find anywhere to buy a replacement for it, but if you could get hold of some I would strongly recommend it for this sort of thing.

supsup

Visit site
I like to use hydrogel (e.g. Vetalintex sterile wound hydrogel), using a large dollop and smoothing it over the wound of 5-10 mm thick like a flat dome. It bonds really well with the hair around the wound to make a seal (if the horse doesn't rub it off). The hydrogel will dry out over a day or so and form a patch like a band-aid over the wound. It shrinks slightly as it dries, so sometimes you'll have to add a bit more hydrogel to seal off gaps around the edge on day two. It keeps the flies from having access to the wound, and IME, the wounds heal very nicely underneath, until the dried hydrogel patch eventually drops off. I've used it for bite wounds on my horse's bum a time or two, where there's really no way to attach any dressing. Once the patch is in place, I've also put fly repellent/spray over the top that I wouldn't want to get in contact with a wound directly.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I also vote for that bright yellow summer fly cream it worked a treat when my grey had open wounds that were much bigger than the one in the photo.

Mule

Visit site
There's the aluminium spray on bandages. I've found them good for keeping wounds covered.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
Another vote for Filta-Bac. It's a healing cream, acts as a sunblock and stays on when it rains. I have a horse that is a wound warrior and it works very well. His coat comes back where ever I use it and the flies don't like it.

Mum4b

Visit site
Last summer my horse had laser surgery on his stomach resulting in a round open wound that was the size a dinner plate. My vet recommended Battles Summer Fly Cream and it worked a treat in keeping the flies at bay.
It's bright yellow, gets on everything, gloves def needed for application, but well worth the stains as it's great stuff.

huskydamage

Visit site
Thankyou for the replies. Sounds like the yellow one is popular, Probably a silly question but it's alright to apply the cream direct to the wound?

huskydamage

Visit site
I am just so paranoid about upsetting it 😂 it was rainy today so less flies and it looks good. Need to get this yellow stuff

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
She's healed well in the photo but you can still see the yellow stains. She cut herself up badly (broke through a fence).

Edit to fix photo.

Attachments

• Flosscantertwo.jpg
    Flosscantertwo.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 12

ponios

Visit site
I have a near match of a wound on my horse. Vet saw it yesterday as I thought there could be an infection brewing. He recommended summer cream but said that until a scab naturally forms just put it upto the edge of the wound rather than covering it as it can hinder the healing process

Regandal

Visit site
I’ve used neem oil on an open chest wound with success. Doesn’t hurt exposed flesh and is fly repellent. Healed very quickly.