Protecting a long mane from (standard neck) rug rubs?

fuze

Visit site
As the title, really.

You know that annoying little bit just around the withers, that always seem to snap, break, and be consistently shorter than anywhere else, complete with miniature-mohawk going on? Is there any way to protect against this, that actually works?

My new boy has an immense mane, and I'm putting off rugging him to try and preserve it :D Any ideas would be appreciated. This is what we're talking about when I refer to "long mane"... (and please excuse the grubbiness... he's part hippo at heart :()

IMG_20131110_112430_621_zps4039905a.jpg

IMG_20131110_114705_233_zpsc338681a.jpg

IMG_20131110_192118_zpsa8767d27.jpg

star26

Visit site
Sorry can't help, but WOW, your boy is stunning. Such great markings and what a thatch of hair! He looks gorgeous even covered in mud- would love to see some pics of him all clean and shiny :)

p87

Visit site
Oh my god I LOVE HIM!!! I'm with star26, can we have some photos of him all shiny, pretty please? :)

I spray mane and tail shine on the underside of the hood, this seems to work for us.

fuze

Visit site
Fetch me the clippers. Super pony, but he would be hogged, tail pulled and clipped with me.

:eek3::eek3::eek3::eek3::eek3:

There had to be someone :tongue3: If I wanted a hogged, anti-hair pony, I wouldn't have bought a hairy one :wink3: Not to mention, I promised his old owner that mane would never be touched!

Thanks for all the lovely comments :smile3: As you insisted...

IMG_20131103_211645_zps92dc7bd4.jpg

IMG_20130928_111149_722_zps5d3fd682.jpg

IMG_20131002_114156_zpsc1d13c42.jpg

IMG_20130927_140847_503_zps20367b8f.jpg

I haven't had him long, so majority of pics involve him being mud coated to various degrees. Can't wait for Spring to come around to really spruce him up :smile3:

p87

Visit site
Gorgeous pics, love his mane all plaited! I look after a hairy for a friend, every year without fail (or even mud) she gets bad mud fever, so a couple of days ago I clipped her feathers so I can manage it better. I honestly was heartbroken! But I guess mud fever treatment trumps flowing feathers ;)

Mariposa

Visit site
What a fab pony! Love his dark nose!

Have you tried a Rambo Wug? We use them on all our ponies, they don't rub as they go up over the withers, they might work so his gorgeous mane doesn't get rubbed?

fuze

Visit site
I'm with you Fuze - I don't think hogging him would become him at all. He looks stunning au naturel. :D

I'm pretty sure that the arabianemporium shop has cut back rugs. I don't know how expensive they are though. I'll try to find them.

ETA - this is it. I've not seen one IRL though, so I don't know if they work. http://www.arabianemporium.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_11&products_id=20

Ooh. I'd be curious as to whether anyone on here has tried them... nice idea, but the price tag is sending shivers down my spine :tongue3: I'm a hairy fan... I think I'd cry if I ever had to hog him!

Was leg pulling Fuze ! I have two hairies of my own.

Haha, I've lost count of how many people claim he's in need of a a haircut. I'm going to be sending them away with a free buzz-cut if they carry on :biggrin3:

Mariposa - I haven't. I did try a Rhino Wug a couple of years ago on my old cob, I used it for less than a week because it started breaking hairs around halfway up his neck. Are the Rambos any better?

Mariposa

Visit site
I've only used the Rambo ones, according to their blurb "High cut neck design and snug fit eliminates wither pressure " - we've found them really good but I guess it's horses for courses :)

dogatemysalad

Visit site
I'm pretty sure that the arabianemporium shop has cut back rugs. I don't know how expensive they are though. I'll try to find them.

ETA - this is it. I've not seen one IRL though, so I don't know if they work. http://www.arabianemporium.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_11&products_id=20

Ooo, that looks interesting.

I keep plugging the Trust tetris rugs in the hopes someone will review them.

OP, the tetris rugs don't sit on the withers, they're sort of lifted off, by padding on either side.

marmalade76

Visit site
I would go for a Wug too, used to have one and it never rubbed the mane. If ou want to save it, don't use a neck cover at all, the all rub to an extent, and it's not as if he needs one to keep him warm, his mane will do that.

I am a fan of hogging on the right horse, some it just does not suit. We have a cobby pony type that came to us hogged last year and with his dished face it really didn't suit him at all, and I would say yours is the same.

Gazen

Visit site
I have a wug and although it doesn't rub the mane it is very tight around the chest and rubs there. At the moment I am using Bridleway 200g rugs which don't rub. All my heavy weight rugs rub...not looking forward to putting her in these.

fuze

Visit site
That mane plait is amazeballs!

I'm sure his hairiness is high maintenance, but he is just so stunning as he is, all natural- gorgeous. :)

High maintenance, yes, so worth it when he is clean though! Thank you :)

Ooo, that looks interesting.

I keep plugging the Trust tetris rugs in the hopes someone will review them.

OP, the tetris rugs don't sit on the withers, they're sort of lifted off, by padding on either side.

Ahh. I've not heard of tetris rugs. Off to scour Google. I love having a natural, fluffy hoss, but pone is very active. As such, he gets very sweaty very quickly, even in the field, and he's losing condition rather quicker than I'd like at this time of year. I'm debating clipping the fluff off to help, but that obviously means rugging him... which will potentially ruin the mane. I can't decide what to do for the best. Bloody horses.

Jamee246

New User
Visit site
Avoid using rugs which have separate neck attachments they tend to rub more also look for rugs which have silk lined to avoid a build up of grease.
Or if you have the time keep it clean this will prevent grease build up also and prevent rubbing greatly.
I use a snuggy hood which is silk lined its easy to wash and keep clean and can be used underneath a neck rug im sure there are cheaper/second hand versions available if he is 'hippo at heart' haha

Only other option is not to use a neck rug at all! I know the feeling and it is a pain in the a** every winter!!!!!!

Last edited:

fuze

Visit site
Only looking at standard necks anyway, as per title :) I'm not sure I'd find a full neck to fit over that mane anyway haha!