Protection for stable door

maginn

Visit site
My mare likes to run her teeth over the front (not the top) of her stable door & its damaging the wood. It's an attention thing she only does it when someone arrives in the morning. i was thinking about attaching a metal plate on the front has anyone done this ? If so what did u use ? i wondered if i could use a kitchen splashback ???!! Suggestions welcome !

Irishbabygirl

Visit site
Yes that might work, or put up an anti weave grill? She probably won't be able to move her head from side to side grating her teath on the front with one on.

trottingon

Visit site
I'd go for an anti weave grill. There's a horse I know does the same as yours. Her stable has a metal plate over the door and she makes a heck of a noise when she's rubbing her teeth on it.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
We put up a perspex plate on the front of a stable door whose occupant did the above :) Worked a treat and we felt it wasnt as hard on her teeth as a metl plate would have been :)

millimoo

Visit site
I like Xmas beasties idea of perspex... I was going to suggest thick smooth rubber.
Id be concerned about damage to teeth with metal, plus it wont discourage the horse from running their teeth across it because of the noise.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
My mare likes to run her teeth over the front (not the top) of her stable door & its damaging the wood. It's an attention thing she only does it when someone arrives in the morning. i was thinking about attaching a metal plate on the front has anyone done this ? If so what did u use ? i wondered if i could use a kitchen splashback ???!! Suggestions welcome !

ours have a metal plate can take pictures tomorrow if you like

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I would look at it from a different point of view and spread a jar of colmans hot mustard on the door. My lad never touched it again.

maginn

Visit site
Thanks for ur suggestions , very helpful ,got me thinking perhaps could use door mat (i.e. that u would use at home to wipe feet on) or if not I will try to find a spare bit of rubber matting will only need to cover a small area. Rug won't work as she would eat it , drag it into bed or onto the door, she is very mouthy !!

Dry Rot

Visit site
A piece of quarry conveyor belting? It is rubber, extremely tough, and you'll probably get it for free. They replace the belts regularly because they tend to break. The old ones are usually left in a heap!