Protexin alternatives?

Melody Grey

Visit site
Just wondering whether anyone has tried gut balancer products as an alternative to Protexin that have worked well?

I have had my two stressy Welshies (15hh and 12.2hh) on it for 2 months and 1 month respectively with noticeable improvement which I'm keen to continue, but keeping them both on the prescribed 50g/day is looking like £65/ month 😬 If it's the best option, then c'est la vie but wondering what people's experiences of other commercial products/ brewer's yeast/ yea Sac etc is? Another alternative might be to drop the 12.2hh down to a smaller serving?

Experiences welcomed!! Xx

Melody Grey

Visit site
I found Baileys Digest Plus actually works better for my cob than Protexin.
Thanks- do you know what the recommended dosage is? Have googled but can't find anything even on Bailey's website 🤔 If it's 50g/day each, I think the cost is the same as Protexin?

GoldenWillow

Visit site
Thanks- do you know what the recommended dosage is? Have googled but can't find anything even on Bailey's website 🤔 If it's 50g/day each, I think the cost is the same as Protexin?

The Baileys website isn't very helpful is it!

From memory loading dose is 2 scoops, maintenance is 1 for 450kg bodyweight. I find a 1kg tub @ £14.50 on 1 scoop a day lasts about 2 months. Just had a quick look at Protexin prices and found they're 700gm @ £23. Can have a look on tub tomorrow if you would like?

Melody Grey

Visit site
The Baileys website isn't very helpful is it!

From memory loading dose is 2 scoops, maintenance is 1 for 450kg bodyweight. I find a 1kg tub @ £14.50 on 1 scoop a day lasts about 2 months. Just had a quick look at Protexin prices and found they're 700gm @ £23. Can have a look on tub tomorrow if you would like?
If you wouldn’t mind, I’d be really grateful :)

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I was using protexin but found another supplement on the natural horse supplies website it's called easi gut and I think it does a better job at keeping my horses gut healthy his droppings are more consistent and he seems much more settled since being on it, it is just over £30 with delivery and lasts about 4 weeks.

GoldenWillow

Visit site
The feeding instructions for the Digest Plus are: 400kgs and over 20 grams per day, 200kg to 400kg 15 grams per day, under 200kg 10 grams per day. The enclosed scoop holds approximately 10grams.

I use it for my cob who gets loose droppings when the grass starts coming through and with any changes in his diet.

Melody Grey

Visit site
Question - the pink mash - is it meant for adding condition or can it be fed to fatties as well?
From my extensive research (10 mins on google!) it is very low calorie so recommended for fatties and laminitics.

I have ordered a bag via eBay today and will keep people posted on how we get on. An obvious downside seems to be the limited number of stockists in my area and that ordering a bag via courier adds on £8! ....will work on this though if it seems to be working for us!!

Melody Grey

Visit site
The feeding instructions for the Digest Plus are: 400kgs and over 20 grams per day, 200kg to 400kg 15 grams per day, under 200kg 10 grams per day. The enclosed scoop holds approximately 10grams.

I use it for my cob who gets loose droppings when the grass starts coming through and with any changes in his diet.

Thanks- going to keep this in mind to try next if pink mash doesn’t do it for us. Judging by the quantities here, it would be a much cheaper alternative to protexin:)

Leo Walker

Visit site
I feed it to my good doer now but initally fed it to put condition on a poor cob I bought. I think it worked in that instance as it sorted the hind gut issues though rather than being a high calorie feed. Its 0.5% sugar and less than 3% starch so about the lowest sugar and starch on the market.

My local feedshop stock it routinely now, but I think most will order it in if you ask. I think theres an option on the website to suggest new suppliers to Keyflow but I might be making that up!