Protexin supplement - how much should be given per month?!

Grazinia*

Visit site
Hi all - I have just been invoiced £96.00 by my yard for my horse receiving a Protexin supplement for one month - just how much have they been giving him?!! He is in working livery, and I put up a previous post to ask if they were working him too much, I have had a straight talk with YM....what do you know, all of a sudden my reins (all of two months old) haven't passed an 'examination' so I've had to replace them and now I've been charged for this supplement that no one has thought to mention he has been receiving!! I will be moving him from said yard, but that cannot happen until next month. Is there a vendetta going on??!! :(

be positive

Visit site
A 700gm tub is around £26 that should last 1 month at double maintenance dose so unless they are feeding at way over the stress dose they are taking the p*** with your bill, I would provide it yourself for the next month if he really needs it and hope they actually give it to him. There does seem to be a retaliation to you questioning their use of him.

Just checked and the acid ease is more expensive than the balancer so it needs checking what he is getting before you complain.

Last edited:

Grazinia*

Visit site
Thanks for your reply, yes that's what I thought, must be overdosing him to cost that much for one month!!! Taking the p**** alright!!!

Grazinia*

Visit site
Yes I will be careful not to be perceived as a troublemaker and will ask casually 'what' and 'why' they are giving him as a supplement, but I think at the very least someone should have mentioned it! Can't help but think these sudden additional costs are sour grapes. In the two years we've been there, I've never been charged before or known of him being given a supplement....

Gypley

Visit site
Protexin Acid Ease is a lot more expensive than the gut balancer. I paid £88 per tub (robbed at Badminton, I’m now aware you can buy it on eBay for £60 ish) you’d get through a tub in a month on the loading dose. Maybe that’s what they gave him ?

monkeymad

Visit site
I would also be concerned why they felt your horse needed such a supplement. Did they think he was showing signs/symptons of having ulcers? If he is showing signs of discomfort, rather than just put him on a supplement they should be discussing his management plan with you and discussing that a vet be involved. I cant help but feel sorry for your horse and I am glad you are removing him from this yard.

Grazinia*

Visit site
I know, why do people have to make life difficult, if we worked together it would all be fine! I feel they have no respect for the owners, in fact they seem resentful of my presence/involvement but I always thought they had the best interests of the horses at heart.

zola89

Visit site
I think a normal dose is 10mg a day and you can get a 3.5kg tub which lasts nearly a year for about £100 online so I would definitely be questioning £96 for one month!

Grazinia*

Visit site
Thanks that's really helpful, I will maybe check with the vet too, YM wasn't around tonight so will have to catch her at the weekend ;)