Proud (and long) post

Megibo

Visit site
Right I will go from the top but be as brief as poss!!
May: Had our usual physio out to see Meg for the first time and first of all got a scalding because i had let her get so fat she was the healthy weight of a horse 17 hands (she's 13.3...). she had immense pain/tenderness along her back and left side of her spine where her saddle didn't fit and i didn't know as she showed no signs (she is very stoic). So her back problems were fixed my homework was to get the fat off her and do carrot stretches.
Aug/Sep: Physio came back for a checkup. Back slightly sore again, otherwise she was fine. Left stifle muscle measured 6cm smaller than the right (due to old stifle inury). Physio was also immensely pleased at her weight loss said she looked great. Homework was given to build up stifle muscle. Weight measured at 553.

She came out today and my god, I am immensely pleased!! There is now only 2cm difference in stifle muscle. Back was a tiny bit tight but that is because she is unfit etc no pain or tenderness anywhere. Overtrack improved by 50%. Also now weighs 545! :D She also said basically horsey is in damn near perfect nick and now simply has to start doing stuff! New pad bought for the saddle is doing it's job but physio says she still needs a new saddle which i am saving hard for.
So homework for horse is now an hours ridden work really walking out preferably hacking as this will improve her stifle (still a bit funny about it being palpated). Also carrot stretches again to help her stretch over her back. She put a rider limit of 10st 7lb so as to reduce 'workload' on the stifle so i now have massive diet incentive however i am fine to contine riding her in walk and small amount of trot until i have lost weight. She is coming back out mid-end of April before show season begins to triple check everything is still fine and pronounce her 100% to go out and do! My physio couldn't get over what a 'great job' i had done as she put it. Huge improvement on the dark cloud that has been following me around faithfully recently :D:D

Apercrumbie

Visit site
Great news that she's doing better, particularly re weightloss. Is that 545kg? And may I ask what breed/type she is? Simply because she weighs more than my 15.2 tbxwelsh :D

Megibo

Visit site
Great news that she's doing better, particularly re weightloss. Is that 545kg? And may I ask what breed/type she is? Simply because she weighs more than my 15.2 tbxwelsh :D

Yep it is, she is now 'perfect weight' wouldn't affect her to be a little less but don't want any more on :)
She is Welsh sec D and built like the proverbial brick outhouse :p

unbalanced

Visit site
Wow, good to hear you are doing so well with the stifle injury. How did she do it in the first place? 545 kg is a bit scary :eek: my Welsh D is 365 kg and she is 14.1 so glad you are getting the weight off. That will all help with the injury.
Do you do any in hand work with her? They have really been helping my horse's flexibility and overtrack and quite good for when you're not riding for one reason or another.
Sound's like it's all coming together though, brilliant :)

Cheiro1

Visit site
So glad the physio was so happy with her :)

Shocked at the 545kgs though!! :eek: my 15hh Welsh D is only 515 ish on a weight tape and she is a fair bit overweight!

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I have two weight tapes, one gives a weight consistantly 50kg bigger than the other. I use the same tape as then you can judge kg lost/gained. The tape that gives the lighter weight is closer to the horse's correct weight (tested with a weigh bridge), so it's possible that the OP's tape is a 'fat' tape. ;)

If the mare condition scores well now, then it doesn't matter what the tape says. :) Well done for getting some weight off her.

ETA, my friend's 14hh irish cob weighs more than her 16.1hh TB and they both are in good condition using the condition score system.

Cheiro1

Visit site
BUGGER! SORRY! meant to put THREE not five!!

she was 353, and is now 345.....not 545.....my bad!!

Phew!! :eek:

Had interesting mental images of a horse with the girth of mine on a small pony, was getting thelwell like! :eek: :p (thats just me having a joke btw :) )

Thats fab on the weightloss, well done! :D :D