Proud flesh

Ash123

Visit site
Could you ask on Horse Vet Corner on Facebook?
Thank you.

I was looking for a facebook group. I posted on one previously but don't think the post was ever approved. I certainly didn't get any responses.

I have requested to join.

This is the kind of advice I was hoping for by posting on here - thank you so much!

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
Thank you!

He actually isn't. It was his horse who kicked mine so I think he feels guilty! I get on quite well with my dad and it isn't like him to put his foot down. It's more that I have been stuck in the middle and dont want to cause issues. My actual gut feeling is that he is 20 with suspected cushings so I really don't know if it will ever heal. A few people have suggested just 'doing the right thing' but i want to give him a chance. What I don't want to do is spend a fortune on another vet (who is known for racking up a large bill) and be left with no horse and a huge bill for a horse that isn't even really mine! I myself am in the process of going through IVF so i could do with as little stress as possible! I posted here to try and see if I could get a better understanding of whether there is any chance of this healing and how other people have managed similar wounds. As I suspected, everyone else has followed the advice of their vet (as I have done) but their vets have given better advice!

I wish I had a bottomless bank account and field/stables of my own!
If you want a ball park figure then mine cost £6K all in and this injury might be somewhere in that region depending on what you/vet decide to do.

Some pictures

When healed 8 months ish later I think FB_IMG_1625777862212.jpg

A bout 3 weeks after injury
FB_IMG_1625777872607.jpg

About 6-8 weeks after injury I think.
FB_IMG_1625777882677.jpg

Ash123

Visit site
OMG!! This is the exact same injury!! Was it a kick?

Glad it is looking so good for you now.

Did £6K include flushing the joint/tendon sheath?

I really don't have that sort of money to put into him (hence why I pay a fortune for insurance for my own horse!). He also wouldn't be an easy horse to keep if not being ridden. He will not keep a rug on (shreds within 20 mins beyond repair) and doesn't hack. He is 20 next year with suspected Cushings. I don't mind paying a bit if he is going to be OK to ride again (not being selfish he is just happier when gets out and about).

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site

I really don't have that sort of money to put into him (hence why I pay a fortune for insurance for my own horse!). He also wouldn't be an easy horse to keep if not being ridden. He will not keep a rug on (shreds within 20 mins beyond repair) and doesn't hack. He is 20 next year with suspected Cushings. I don't mind paying a bit if he is going to be OK to ride again (not being selfish he is just happier when gets out and about).
She ran through a fence unfortunately. She very luckily avoided needing a joint flush as it managed to miss the joint capsules. It included 2 weeks stay for IV antibiotics and wound treatment, then the follow up treatments. Was surprisingly expensive but luckily the insurance covered it.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site

I think tbh, I would pts. If he does have Cushings, it will likely take ages for the wound to heal, if he isn't fed up of having it dealt with, he probably will be before it's sorted. £6k is an awful lot of money to spend on someone else's horse, with, in your case, no guarantee of success.
I have struggled with months of vet visits before, although not for this kind of issue, only to have to pts in the end. The emotional toll can be horrendous.

Widgeon

Visit site
Gosh you do have a lot on to deal with....given the circumstances I don't think PTS would be unreasonable. It's very sad but £6K is a heck of a lot of money and he doesn't sound like an easy horse to nurse. And at least you can be happy that you've given him a lovely final year to his life (save the injury, obviously, but that's not your fault).

GrassChop

Visit site
Thank you.

I was looking for a facebook group. I posted on one previously but don't think the post was ever approved. I certainly didn't get any responses.

I have requested to join.

This is the kind of advice I was hoping for by posting on here - thank you so much!
I hope you get some good responses from the vets on there. They are really helpful!

Reacher

Visit site
I guess costs and outcome depend on whether it is just the proud flesh or whether there is any internal damage to the joint. I missed whether it has been xrayed? How lame is he?

Reactions: TPO

angel7

Visit site
If the honey not working stop it, it doesn't work on everything.
Options:
PTS or Xray for joint involvement and treat. If not lame, get decent vet to cut back with scalpel and use your equaide (sketchy on the ingredients though I suspect its salicylic acid and copper sulphate with charcoal base). Or ask the rubbish vet why he wont cut it back??
OR
Apply Polymem (£30 a box) non adhesive foam cut to the wound shape. Pressure bandage, change 2/3 days depending on how wet it is.
OR
Copper sulphate crystals 250g £3 quid off amazon, mix teaspoon with a teaspoon of sudocream to make a blue crunchy paste you can grind the granules if too big, aim for sugar texture. Apply with spatula to proud flesh. Use gloves, do not touch it and do not allow other animals near it. Do not bandage the leg. You can cover the wound with some non shedding gauze (we used old brown greaseproof paper in the day) to cover it and stop bedding sticking or him rubbing it off. Apply once and watch for mild swelling of the area, often occurs. You can test apply it to a small bit of the wound first if not sure. Leave a few days. Rinse off. Repeat weekly as required.
OR
Apply Hydocortizone cream 1% £7 from pharmacy. Pressure bandage if no swelling.
You get the idea.
You need to apply pressure to the area, reduce movement, clean out the infection with antimicrobials and use steriods to reduce the inflammatory response.
The cushings might slow it healing so PTS maybe best.

Ash123

Visit site
Not sure who will see this but just want to post an update!

I did A LOT of research, much of which was initiated by comments from this group! I found an amazing product called equaide and managed to get rid of ALL proud flesh (without surgical debridement)! Its been a long process but the horse i was so close to having PTS is sound, in good form and now starting light work!

If anyone wants more info please message me!

Attachments

• CF70CA80-37EC-491C-947C-E13E5E5D1A03.jpeg
    CF70CA80-37EC-491C-947C-E13E5E5D1A03.jpeg
    975.3 KB · Views: 43
  • 6CD522A7-50B4-465D-A8FA-558A760A6F56.jpeg
    6CD522A7-50B4-465D-A8FA-558A760A6F56.jpeg
    425.4 KB · Views: 43

Pinkvboots

Visit site
What a lovely update its made me tear up 🥲 seeing that picture he looks so happy now compared to the other photo.

Well done for sticking with it he is a very lucky horse.