Proving horse ownership

honetpot

Visit site
because if they're stating i owe money for the horse surely that means they think they currently own it which they don't, therefore they would owe me for keeping it for 6 years surely?
It's yours, so why would you want them to pay you anything? They have to prove it's theirs, and take you to court, or else anyone could say, that's my horse.
If you ask them to pay for its costs you are acknowledging it was not a gift. The chances are they would say it was loaned, and therefore you would be responsible for it running costs, so unless you had a contract stating what they were liable to pay for, you wouldn't get anything.
The old way to make sure the contract is in place, is you never accept a horse as a gift unless you give them a pound to seal the deal.

meleeka

Visit site
It's yours, so why would you want them to pay you anything? They have to prove it's theirs, and take you to court, or else anyone could say, that's my horse.
If you ask them to pay for its costs you are acknowledging it was not a gift. The chances are they would say it was loaned, and therefore you would be responsible for it running costs, so unless you had a contract stating what they were liable to pay for, you wouldn't get anything.
The old way to make sure the contract is in place, is you never accept a horse as a gift unless you give them a pound to seal the deal.
I agree. It sounds as if they have less chance of proving ownership than you OP. They’d have to take you to the small claims court and provide evidence that the horse belonged to them. i’d ignore it as much as you can.

Megs11

Visit site
I don't want them to pay me a single thing as the horse is mine but some reason now we no longer get on they think they're entitled to the horse back for free after me caring for it for 6 years and paying for absolutely everything.
I have ignored them for sometime now hence being threatened with debt collectors but will just carry on ignoring.

Megs11

Visit site
Easiest thing is to pay them what the horse cost .
Its your horse , and you can’t ask for the return of a gift that’s the law .The question is can you prove it was gift .
If you can then I would get a solicitor to send them a letter to that effect .

DON‘T bill them for the costs it’s your horse you can’t swop and change your position .
That would be the easiest thing yes but unfortunately at the moment i'm not in the financial position to buy the horse off them plus why should i as its my horse anyway and theyve had nothing to do with the horse from day 1

Goldenstar

Visit site
There is not reason to buy the horse except to put this all to the rest .
They may try to take you to the small claims court if the purchase price was
under the limit for cases there .
I would gather all your evidence that the horse was gift that includes as many of the bills you can for his care the lack of evidence that the gifters had any involvement
Gather a time line of what happened and get statements from family members and others and the seller ( this is the key one getting what she remembers about the gift of the horse ) .
Also lay down a time line with dates about how and when it wrong .
If they ring you make notes immediately with date and time and don’t argue with them keep the calls short your position clear , the horse was a gift they cannot reclaim a gift .
If they send anything in writing that’s the time for a solicitor to send them a letter that states your position .
The horse was gift you won’t return it .
The step may be the small claims court I would say that if gather your evidence you will win .

Last edited:

Megs11

Visit site
There is not reason to buy the horse except to put this all to the rest .
They may try to take you to the small claims court if the purchase price was
under the limit for cases there .
I would gather all your evidence that the horse was gift that includes as many of the bills you can for his care the lack of evidence that the gifters had any involvement
Gather a time line of what happened and get statements from family members and others and the seller ( this is the key one getting what she remembers about the gift of the horse ) .
Also lay down a time line with dates about how and when it wrong .
If they ring you make notes immediately with date and time and don’t argue with them keep the calls short your position clear , the horse was a gift they cannot reclaim a gift .
If they send anything in writing that’s the time for a solicitor to send them a letter that states your position .
The horse was gift you won’t return it .
The step may be the small claims court I would say that if gather your evidence you will win .
Thank you.
i have recieved a letter in the post stating someone is coming to collect the money from me so not sure where i go from there. Perhaps i'll get a solicitor involved.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Thank you.
i have recieved a letter in the post stating someone is coming to collect the money from me so not sure where i go from there. Perhaps i'll get a solicitor involved.

Collect what money? You don't owe them any money. They can threaten to collect the horse, but they can't threaten to collect money (unless you have suggested you will buy her and I sincerely hope not, as that will have wrecked your case that you already own her).

You need legal advice!

Last edited: