PSD in hind legs with normal ultrasound?

FourLeafClover

Visit site
My horse has been diagnosed with bilateral PSD in his hindlegs and is due to have a neurectomy and fasciotomy in Monday. He had positive blocks to his suspensories twice, so vets are convinced that this is the issue. Xrays showed arthritis in his hocks but blocking hocks didn’t change the lameness at all (apparently made it worse if anything). So yes, everything pointing to his suspensories being the problem.

However - ultrasounds of both hind legs are normal. The vet has told me that this isn’t significant and that he is still confident in his diagnosis.

Has anyone else known of PSD surgery when ultrasounds were normal? How do you know how they are recovering post op, as re-scanning seems to be key in seeing how they are getting on with the rehab?

This doubt is horrible - I just want to do the right thing by my boy. We’ve been hacking around since diagnosis (on vets advice - don’t school/jump but fine to hack) and honestly you wouldn’t know there’s anything wrong. But he is a stoical chap. Ahhhhhh I’m driving myself mad! 🤦🏼‍♀️

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I would think psd would be seen on a scan as it is essentially damage but I am not positive, mine had an injury so the hole was visible on the scan so slightly different, there is a nerve block for suspensory detection my horse was positive for that as well, they also x rayed the hocks to rule out anything else.

I think I would be a bit wary as well to be honest it's a big thing to go ahead with without any any real proof, sorry not been much help but I really hope someone can come along and reassure you of it.

Is this a vet you have used and trusted before?

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
That is strange, mine was 2/10th lame on his left hind. Nerve blocked, went sound. Ultra sound showed severe thickening of the suspensory.. which gave clear diagnosis. We operated February this year and touch wood in full work going well. No point ultra sounding after operation, as the nerves are cut. Thats what my vet said. I'd recommend x-raying the back and pretty much everywhere before operating too, kissing spine is so common in these horses.

Baring in mind the nerve block to the suspensory also blocks part of the hock and plantar ligament I am sure I was told? Surely if he had done a suspensory, it would show on the ultra sound.. I would of thought.
I'd join the suspensory (PSD) group on facebook and ask there.. very knowledgeable people! I am not a vet and only have limited knowledge, but every horse with PSD I know it showed on a scan I'm sure.

Last edited:

FourLeafClover

Visit site
The vet in question is well respected and well learned in lameness and is the head of the practice, so I feel like that’s credible enough for me to be able to trust him. I just can’t shake off that I’ve not known of anyone else who’s horse has had a PSD diagnosis with normal ultrasounds. I posted on the PSD group previously about it and no one that posted had been in the same situation.

A vet from Newmarket is due to be coming on Monday to do the procedure, I’ve left a message at reception asking to speak to him so hopefully he calls me back.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
The vet in question is well respected and well learned in lameness and is the head of the practice, so I feel like that’s credible enough for me to be able to trust him. I just can’t shake off that I’ve not known of anyone else who’s horse has had a PSD diagnosis with normal ultrasounds. I posted on the PSD group previously about it and no one that posted had been in the same situation.

A vet from Newmarket is due to be coming on Monday to do the procedure, I’ve left a message at reception asking to speak to him so hopefully he calls me back.

I would try and speak to the surgeon from Newmarket and just express your concerns, I have had nothing but good experience with the Newmarket vets so your in good hands in that respect.

I totally understand your worries I would be exactly the same I hope you get to speak to the vet and get some answers or reassurance or both!

Goldenstar

Visit site
My horse has no evidence on diagnostic ultrasound or X-ray .
But they can block mild lameness to the suspensory consistently .
He’s had a full hind limb and partial front workup .
I have opted not to go for surgery because it’s my belief it’s not ethical to denerve a horse when there’s no visible evidence of damage .
I am going for four shock wave treatments two weeks apart he’s having a course of cartofen and they are going to put some steroid into the hocks in two weeks they are not going to inject the suspensory because they now think doing the hock and letting it dissipate down works better .
He’s going to have a long physio lead rehab .
Who know it’s its the right thing to do .
I have had him out of shoes for sixteen weeks ( this did make the full workup challenging ) and he’s staying out of shoes .