PSD (Proximal suspensory desmitis)

Aimeetess

Active Member
Joined
24 April 2013
Messages
432
Had the vet out this morning to look again at my young gelding after having a week bute trial because he wasn't right but didn't look lame. Bute made a big difference so he was taken off bute for a couple of days and the vet revisited. After trotting up he is now 2/10th lame on one hind. After the first nerve block he went completely sound. Vets given the diagnosis of PSD, Proximal suspensory desmitis and will confirm for definite after x-rays and more scans as I want him to look at his hock as well just in case. Hes sore in his back and sacroiliac too but thinking thats from over compensating.

Vet suggested if so, its usually either 6 months box rest/in hand walking with 30% chance of returning to work or a operation on both hinds to snip it, not sure what thats called?

He did say not to google or research it as its all negative things on this subject.. but does anyone else have any experience or know a lot about it? He won't box rest for a week let alone weeks, he'd get dangerous, so can't see that option going down well.
 
Last edited:

SEL

Well-Known Member
Joined
25 February 2016
Messages
3,986
Location
Buckinghamshire
Had the vet out this morning to look again at my young gelding after having a week bute trial because he wasn't right but didn't look lame. Bute made a big difference so he was taken off bute for a couple of days and the vet revisited. After trotting up he is now 2/10th lame on one hind. After the first nerve block he went completely sound. Vets given the diagnosis of PSD, Proximal suspensory desmitis and will confirm for definite after x-rays and more scans as I want him to look at his hock as well just in case. Hes sore in his back and sacroiliac too but thinking thats from over compensating.

Vet suggested if so, its usually either 6 months box rest/in hand walking with 30% chance of returning to work or a operation on both hinds to snip it, not sure what thats called?

He did say not to google or research it as its all negative things on this subject.. but does anyone else have any experience or know a lot about it? He won't box rest for a week let alone weeks, he'd get dangerous, so can't see that option going down well.
I actually think the facebook PSD page is quite realistic and honest on how horses have got on. There is everything on there from PTS to people whose horses returned to competing at quite high levels. If you're on FB then I'd say its worth posting your Q there.
 

ester

Not slacking-multitasking
Joined
31 December 2008
Messages
44,895
Location
Cambridge
SI is very often connected with it so that they need it treating too.

The op is fasciotomy/neurectomy and seems to be generally successful unless they miss something elsewhere.
 

ihatework

Well-Known Member
Joined
7 September 2004
Messages
14,435
Whatever you do you will have some period of boxing and controlled exercise.
IMO not intervening medically won’t solve this.
Did the vet not discuss shockwave?
Personally I’d jump straight in and operate provided you have ruled out KS and primary sacro injury. Dope for the box rest and walking as required.
If you have a confirmed KS/Sacro then I wouldn’t operate, would treat those, shockwave the PSD and hope you get lucky but I’d prepare yourself to write the horse off competitively.
 

emfen1305

Active Member
Joined
2 December 2015
Messages
805
Second the FB group, it has a wealth of knowledge and experience from the Dr Green route to surgery. Most people will tell you PSD in secondary to other issues and in my case, my horse had terrible ulcers, hock arthritis and PSD diagnosed over about one year. He had the surgery this time last year on both hinds but sadly was PTS in April due to going very lame 12 weeks post op, suspected stifle problems and I wouldn't put him through any more investigations. I am not sure whether I would do the surgery again unless I was as sure as I could be that I had treated everything else first. The horse stabled next to mine did her suspensory (i know different to PSD but rehab is the same) and she's had 9 months of box rest and has come back into work absolutely fine. You will have to box rest for 2-8 weeks (depending on vet) post surgery regardless, and then its another period in a small pen (12 weeks total in either box rest or pen) so it sounds like surgery might not be a good route unless you give sedalin.

Good luck whatever you decide!

ETA: just seen IHW's post and agree with surgery only if you have ruled everything else out, if there are ongoing issues, fix those first and the PSD may fix itself over time.
 

Aimeetess

Active Member
Joined
24 April 2013
Messages
432
Thanks all for your comments, knew H&H forumers would know more than me! I'll look at the Facebook group now, didn't even know it existed so thank you.

Yes vet is back out to x-ray/scan end of the week hopefully so will know then, hes certain it isn't KS but I also want to double check that as can never tell. I did say to the vet I thought PSD is always secondary and he seemed to think it wasn't in every case. His symptoms also match hock arthritis and the pain is coming from that area so vet is still going to x-ray everything to see where we stand, including back, stifles. He did suggest his hocks could be buggered and suspensory could be secondary, thats my worry.. but he didn't block the hock joint itself just the PSD which showed a massive improvement and he was sound instantly. He seemed to think if the hock was involved he would still be lame and would need to nerve block that to show it was the joint but he was sound after the PSD was blocked, will see once x-rays are done.

Don't want to worry to much as not 100% diagnosed yet but its hard not too. The nerve block was quite clear thats where he hurts so I suppose thats a good thing.
I won't be operating or anything until we know the full picture/and have sent the claim form into the insurance company to say they'll pay if we go down that route. I know what its like to need the full story, we operated on my last horse (KS) to find out she was basically f**ked and was PTS after a big back operation, tons of steriod injections, her hocks, stifles, suspensory, bad ulcers (medicated those too) she was 9 with the body of a mid 30yr old. and she never got better. I put her through so much and regret it to this day not getting the full picture.

Its so sad hes only just 7. I wouldn't put him through all of that if he has lots of issues, it isn't fair.
 

scats

Well-Known Member
Joined
11 September 2007
Messages
2,865
I chose not the treat mine, but she does have other niggling issues aswell so we weren’t just dealing this. Definitely worth joining the Facebook group.
 

timbobs

Well-Known Member
Joined
23 November 2014
Messages
592
Thanks all for your comments, knew H&H forumers would know more than me! I'll look at the Facebook group now, didn't even know it existed so thank you.

Yes vet is back out to x-ray/scan end of the week hopefully so will know then, hes certain it isn't KS but I also want to double check that as can never tell. I did say to the vet I thought PSD is always secondary and he seemed to think it wasn't in every case. His symptoms also match hock arthritis and the pain is coming from that area so vet is still going to x-ray everything to see where we stand, including back, stifles. He did suggest his hocks could be buggered and suspensory could be secondary, thats my worry.. but he didn't block the hock joint itself just the PSD which showed a massive improvement and he was sound instantly. He seemed to think if the hock was involved he would still be lame and would need to nerve block that to show it was the joint but he was sound after the PSD was blocked, will see once x-rays are done.

Don't want to worry to much as not 100% diagnosed yet but its hard not too. The nerve block was quite clear thats where he hurts so I suppose thats a good thing.
I won't be operating or anything until we know the full picture/and have sent the claim form into the insurance company to say they'll pay if we go down that route. I know what its like to need the full story, we operated on my last horse (KS) to find out she was basically f**ked and was PTS after a big back operation, tons of steriod injections, her hocks, stifles, suspensory, bad ulcers (medicated those too) she was 9 with the body of a mid 30yr old. and she never got better. I put her through so much and regret it to this day not getting the full picture.

Its so sad hes only just 7. I wouldn't put him through all of that if he has lots of issues, it isn't fair.
Sorry to hear you're going through it at the moment! I'm in a similar position, except we've found things the other way around. Ed has hock arthritis, 4 kissing spines and as we found out today, significant injuries to both hind suspensories. He's also the same age as yours.

The vet is due to call me back this afternoon to talk about different options as I was a bit overwhelmed this morning!

Good luck with the x-rays and further investigations.
 

Aimeetess

Active Member
Joined
24 April 2013
Messages
432
Sorry to hear you're going through it at the moment! I'm in a similar position, except we've found things the other way around. Ed has hock arthritis, 4 kissing spines and as we found out today, significant injuries to both hind suspensories. He's also the same age as yours.

The vet is due to call me back this afternoon to talk about different options as I was a bit overwhelmed this morning!

Good luck with the x-rays and further investigations.
Oh wow Timbobs... that is a lot in one day and a lot to treat. Did he have x-rays which showed all of this and scans i'm guessing?
So sorry to hear, I may pm you to see what you decide in the future. Its such a shame, especially such young ages.
 

timbobs

Well-Known Member
Joined
23 November 2014
Messages
592
Oh wow Timbobs... that is a lot in one day and a lot to treat. Did he have x-rays which showed all of this and scans i'm guessing?
So sorry to hear, I may pm you to see what you decide in the future. Its such a shame, especially such young ages.
The hock arthritis was diagnosed in November, the KS a few weeks ago and the suspensories this morning so not all at once at least.

See how you get on with your further investiagations as that may change your treatment plan.
 

Aimeetess

Active Member
Joined
24 April 2013
Messages
432
Just a update.

X-rays of hock, back and stifle were clear, however the hock x-rays showed a thickened (darker) layer of bone where the suspensory has been pulling on the left hind.

Suspensory scan showed no holes but a large amount a thickening to his left suspensory. Right is completely fine.

Vet has recommended surgery as when there is no tears or holes, its usually difficult to heal the thickening suspensory with box rest alone, more success if there was a clear hole or tear. We are currently awaiting for a reply from the insurance to see which way to go.

Box rest would be 6 weeks plus (could be up to 4 months box rest) with in hand walking (would be dangerous) and the operation is 2-4 weeks box rest with less in hand walking, and less worry of it being damaged again.

It seems the operation either goes to plan or not, some never come sound and some go back to competing. I have joined the PSD facebook group, great advice but it seems a lot are against the op so really am pulling my hair out on what to do.
 
Joined
5 April 2007
Messages
953
I went for the op with my boy, he had N&F surgery on his hind right but unfortunately in our case, although scans showed it had repaired, and having SI injections and regular physio and chiro, he never quite came right and was still broncing and arching his back after a full rehab programme and I retired him in the end. We did however have to turn him out for a winter as he had gone ballistic on box rest and that just didn't work for usm however if you have something sane enough to box rest I know it is the most advised route to take! My boy had hunted in Ireland from a 4 to a 7 year old prior to me having him and the vet thinks that this contributed somewhat to his issues given his size (17.2 hunter). The PSD group on facebook is invaluable though, there are some very knowledgeable people on there. I think if I had to re-run the situation, I would have had Rob Jackson out also as he seems to be a bit of a miracle worker!!
 

Aimeetess

Active Member
Joined
24 April 2013
Messages
432
I went for the op with my boy, he had N&F surgery on his hind right but unfortunately in our case, although scans showed it had repaired, and having SI injections and regular physio and chiro, he never quite came right and was still broncing and arching his back after a full rehab programme and I retired him in the end. We did however have to turn him out for a winter as he had gone ballistic on box rest and that just didn't work for usm however if you have something sane enough to box rest I know it is the most advised route to take! My boy had hunted in Ireland from a 4 to a 7 year old prior to me having him and the vet thinks that this contributed somewhat to his issues given his size (17.2 hunter). The PSD group on facebook is invaluable though, there are some very knowledgeable people on there. I think if I had to re-run the situation, I would have had Rob Jackson out also as he seems to be a bit of a miracle worker!!
Thank you for your reply! So sorry to hear about your horse, is he retired now or did you pts?
My gelding will also be crazy on box rest, which is why the vet partly opted for the operation as its less box rest involved. I have found having 2 horses needed lengthy box rest they do get use to it and it does help to have some sedation sometimes.
I’ve posted in the PSD group but it seems a lot are against the op, so feeling a bit deflated.
 
Joined
5 April 2007
Messages
953
I retired, I wouldn't normally opt for that route but he was a very easy horse to do and enjoys living out, and fortunatley I found a lovely home for him on the Yorkshire dales!

I think the op is personal preference, in my situation, money was no infinite and it does seem very pricey to rehab without the op, only to decide to have it anyway if the rehab without doesnt work.
 
Top