PTS a pony that's "fine"

SkylarkAscending

Visit site
I’ve had two horses PTS - one with navicular in both front feet who “would have had a life as a companion” according to the vet (except he attacked any other horse he was turned out with)

The other was a gorgeous little TB who was an ex-racing pony, it had totally blown his brain and although fundamentally sound he didn’t have any quality of life. So I made the decision for him.

I would never judge anyone for making the right decision for their animal - goodness knows we see far too many examples of horses “sold on” or “loaned” who end up in dreadful circumstances 😞

SEL

Visit site
It's really tough. I don't know if she's hurting day to day, and I'm not sure any further diagnostics would be able to tell me that.
If the "what if" part of your brain needs to know then whack her full of Bute for a week. When my old boy was put down in 2022 I 100% knew it was his time but we had a run of very special family occasions and losing a much loved horse that month would have cast a shadow over everything.

I got a new box of Bute from the vet and pumped him full of that and paracetamol. He spent those weeks thinking he was valegro. Anyone would have thought I was mad calling time for him but I knew it was all drugs. He left this world looking and feeling incredible but that made it very clear to my OH quite how sore the old boy was getting beforehand (& he was already on Bute)

Unless you're in the middle of something catastrophic (broken leg, colic) then there's always "what if" questions. I think the fact that you're asking the question means you're ready to say goodbye xx

Melandmary

Visit site
I actually think you are making the kindest decision to take responsibility for the life of your own pony. I see so many people passing on “companion” ponies and horses and I genuinely fear for where most of those will end up…your pony has had a good life with you and I feel every owner should guarantee a good end of life. It is the hardest but kindest final act of love

Denali

Visit site
OP I had to make this decision in November. I kept it between myself, my mom and my OH. I didn’t need to hear “poor horse” opinions from people unwilling to support a very expensive lawn ornament. My mare was my once in a lifetime for me and she was 16.

I really wish euthanasia in these circumstances would be normalized. It’s always a hard decision and the stigma attached makes it harder. I remember thinking it was out of convenience or the insurance money when I was 10. I didn’t express those thoughts but had them. And then I grew up

Lois Lame

Visit site
Thankyou.
I’m not at that point yet, however I have been guilt tripped about considering removal of an eye that has had about 7 ulcers previously and 2 operations at the eye hospital and has a new ulcer (currently being treated with drops). Elderly horse with other complications .

OP sorry for hijacking
That vet sounds ridiculous.

Jellymoon

Visit site
I have done this twice with horses under the age of 10, both had physical issues, one also had behavioral issues which meant he was unpredictable and unhappy. I did it for myself really, if I’m honest. I guess they both could have been made comfortable and retired. But I don’t want to pay for and care for a horse I can’t ride for 10/15 yrs. And I find it all soul destroying, the endless worry and expense.
Do I regret it? Yes, sometimes I wonder if I gave up too soon. Did I get judged? Yes, a lot. But these are things I have to live with and I did the right thing for me and my family. I don’t think about it much now time has passed.
I would do it again without a doubt, I just wouldn’t discuss it with anyone. I probably wouldn’t even post about it on here, tbh. If you want to pts a horse who is causing you stress and draining your resources, then that’s nobody’s business but yours.

Hannahgb

Visit site
I do wonder, with how harsh our winters are, how rock solid the ground is in summer now, just how pain free retired horses actually are. Pulling out of mud, trudging over rock hard ground, stamping at flies etc. So no, I don't think its wrong to put to sleep at all, its getting harder and harder to give them a quality retirement in the UK

Goldenstar

Visit site
For those of you in this situation please just consider that the very people who will berate for these difficult types of decision will be ones who lecture people about looking after others mental health.
There’s a toll on your own well-being dealing with these types of issues and you are not wrong in any way but giving that as much weight as what’s right for the horse when making decisions.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I do wonder, with how harsh our winters are, how rock solid the ground is in summer now, just how pain free retired horses actually are. Pulling out of mud, trudging over rock hard ground, stamping at flies etc. So no, I don't think its wrong to put to sleep at all, its getting harder and harder to give them a quality retirement in the UK

I agree, I have one still work but he does not do well in hardest part of summer .
I know he canot be retired to the field .
It’s sad but for that horse it will be the right decision to PTS when he’s no longer in work .

ElectricChampagne

Visit site
I PTS my gelding who was 'fine' back in December. He was only 16, but hadn't been ridden since the April previous, he just wasn't happy ridden. He was quite quirky so not easy to manage if you didn't know him.

I could have retired him, but having been through that before with another horse, who ended up with a broken leg from a field accident, I think I'd prefer it on my terms, pain free.

A week too soon is always better than a day too late.

You're not bad, or horrible for thinking it, sometimes It's the right thing to do.

magicmoments

Visit site
For those of you in this situation please just consider that the very people who will berate for these difficult types of decision will be ones who lecture people about looking after others mental health.
There’s a toll on your own well-being dealing with these types of issues and you are not wrong in any way but giving that as much weight as what’s right for the horse when making decisions.
I couldn't agree more with this. Totally is about mental health of owner too. Horses are such a roller coaster, and when they are unwell that is another level of stress, trying your very best to keep them comfortable.

Caski

Visit site
I called the hunt because I didn’t want to have a vet tell me all the other multitude of investigations we could do, he had gone bi-laterally lame and had exhausted the insurance.

I told the non close friends further tests had confirmed no hope. I would have challenged any of them to keep my horse as he was so difficult no one would help me with him.
I did exactly this - just a close friend and my OH were aware.

Wishing you strength and inner peace