PTS.. is this the right time??

flopsypop

New User
Visit site
I have a 13 year old standard poodle who I took to the vets on new years eve thinking I was going to have her pts. She was so miserable and in pain due to bad arthritis, heart failure and something was making her cough (could be her heart or lungs). She's now been on painkillers and other medication since and while she is a lot happier the cough has got worse and she's still not 100%, which I know she'll never be again.

I called the vet this morning and he recommended that she goes in for x-rays to find out the problem under a sedative that might be risky, given the heart problems.

I dont know if this sounds awful but I dont know if I can put her through any more. She gets very stressed about going to the vets and I'm also skeptical about the vets just delaying the inevitable for extra cash, although I may be being paranoid. I know it sounds heartless and selfish but I cant see much point in throwing money at it and I cant keep putting myself through this.

I am completely devastated at the thought of loosing my best friend but I dont want to be one of those people who keep them going for the owner when it's not in the dog's best interest. Apparently dogs will let you know when the time is right but how? How do you know when enough is enough?

Clodagh

Visit site
I don't think they do ever tell you as they will always fight for life. Sometimes you have to stand back and try to think - if that was someone elses dog what would I recommend?

Personally I wouldn't go for the x rays but that is just me, 13 is a good innings and x rays aren't going to cure her arthritis.

Spook

Visit site
Flopsypop, it is a decision only you can make..... it can be difficult if a vet does not agree with you though.

I agree with Clodagh, 13 is a good age and if she is in pain and/or in distress which cannot easily and for an affordable cost be controlled I think I would have her pts.

I wish you well and am thinking of you.

Nicnac

Visit site
I was in your position last week and was ready to say goodbye to my 15 yo Border Collie as she was struggling to get up and slipped over a few times - back end has been getting steadily weaker. She was on Metacam daily but flew through her 6 monthly bloods week before last with the healthy organs of a much younger dog.

My OH however is a bit of a sentimental old fool and didn't want to pts while our daughter is away.

Friday night she came and did the horses with me and then later that evening couldn't get up at all. We were down the vets first thing Saturday morning as she had stopped fighting and it was beyond time. She went quickly and it was peaceful.

She is buried at home. Yes, it was sad but really best for her and I just wish I'd put my foot down a few days earlier.

You will know when it's time.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
As Clodagh says, only you can make that decision, but on the information you have given if she were my dog I think I would pts. You say she is happier but not 100%, I would rather remember my dog like that than have her deteriorate and pts when she is in pain.
I would talk to your vet and say what you have said in your post here, and remember it is your decision. Thinking of you, it is so hard when they are getting near the end.

Gwena

Visit site
I would say it is if I were in your situation. A polite 'I don't want to put her through any more - but thank you for the offer of Xray' to the vet should be enough to stop them pursuing the issue. Good luck. Not an easy decision x

Dobiegirl

Visit site
OP if this was my dogI would call it a day, the fact she is miserable and in pain would be the decisive factor, it sounds like she is not enjoying life anymore and as owners we have to accept responsibility. Im sorry you are having to make this decision but thats one of the drawbacks when we take on a dog and its the last kind thing we can do for them.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I think not putting your dog through the x rays is the most unselfish thing to do, its very easy to keep going and trying everything for our own feelings, you have your dogs best interest at heart she has had good long life dont feel guilty, my thoughts are with you at this sad time.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I'd go with your gut xxx

I had to put down a very young dog last week, I could have spent even more time and money than I already had, trying to fix something that could never really be fixed, oh that he could have lived to 13 years.

Thinking of you at this difficult time, whatever you decide to do x

flopsypop

New User
Visit site
Thanks for you messages, I really appreciate it.

I dont want to put her through anymore but I also want to give her a chance if there is one. Very difficult knowing what to do. Plus she's a strange animal and loves going to the vets so she perks up hugely when she's there, making me look like a fraud!!

Superhot

Visit site
What is the vet looking for with the X-ray, and would he be able to cure the anticipated problem? If just clutching at straws, and knowing the arthritis will never get better, then better to ease her burden. If the vet could give her something that will give her an excellent quality of life, albeit for only a short time, then only you know whether to continue.
I had a cat (20 yrs old) whom I had to take to the vet every 3 months, as I thought his time was up. Each time, the vet gave him an injection and he had a brilliant 3 months, but eventually, the magic wore off and I knew he was too tired and ached too much to keep going. It was so hard to say goodbye, but it's what you sign up to when you take on a pet. The joy that cat bought to us was immeasurable, how could I possibly have him suffer for even a day, he deserved better and I didn't let him down...

Bedlam

Visit site
I have a 16 yr old Pointer who my vets keep telling me is the oldest Pointer in the world. She's senile, leaky and wobbly, but still has a spark. We've just been for a wander in the snow with her coat on and she's now tucked up in her duvet again.

She's on Metacam, Propalin and Vivitonin which all seem to help, but I refuse all other intervention from the vet and they're quite happy with this. I don't take her in anymore either, just go to get repeats a month at a time because she hates going and so what if her bloods are normal or not? I KNOW she's got nasties growing inside and I KNOW she's never going to get any better - she's only going to get slowly worse. When the drugs seem to stop working, or I feel she's in pain, or she can't get up anymore or seems distressed in any way, then my vet will come to the house and I will say goodbye.

Sometimes I wonder what I would say to someone else in my position and I worry that maybe I keep spending £125 on drugs for her because I can't say goodbye, but I also worry that it's too soon. I booked the vet to come out on a Monday morning a few months back as she had had a really bad few days and I felt it was time. She then perked up and had a really good weekend and I couldn't bring myself to do it on the Monday morning, so I cancelled the vet and we're still going strong (well if not quite strong then at least not too badly) a few months later. My key thing is the pain I think - as long as she's not in pain it's OK to carry on.

In your shoes, OP, I wouldn't have her X-rayed. What will the vet do differently because of the results? What are they looking for? What difference will it make to you or the dog? I would ask them to Rx whatever they think may help with whatever they think the dog has and see what happens with the time you have left.

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
OP got with your gut.

What would the vet be looking for? What are the chances that it will be treatable and with a good quality of life?

If the vet could not reassure me that they were most likely to diagnose something untreatable in your position I would PTS.

We are with you whatever you decide. xxx

SusieT

Visit site
is she on heart medication? In what way is she not 100%? Is she eating? Able to do small amoutns of exercise? Comfortable around the house? It is not right to say vets fight for life-but they do want quality. Without xrays it's impossible to say what the problem is and whteher it is treatable-having a sedative is not going to stress her and if she dies under it it will be peaceful and solve the decision....
also remember a 13yr old will look like an oap not a young dog-but that is not suffering neccessarily!

Mellis

Visit site
Remember better a day early than a day too late! Go with your gut feeling. She will thank you. Huge hugs, it's never easy xx

eatmyshorts

Visit site
Remember better a day early than a day too late! Go with your gut feeling. She will thank you. Huge hugs, it's never easy xx

^^ this

Heartfelt sympathy for you, I know exactly how you feel - my old girl has recently been diagnosed with an inoperable tumour (she has already had two removed in the past) which will someday interfere with her breathing and ability to eat, but for now,she is doing okay and is still smiling.

I think in these situations, it helps to ask some basic questions: is she in uncontrollable pain, can she control her bladder etc, can she eat, is she happy, is she mobile, will treatment cause suffering, will she recover? Write some down, answer them honestly then give your answers a whole lot of consideration.

I have to confess, I ask my vet (who has known my animals for over 20years) the question vets probably hate to hear - "What would you do if he/she was yours?" And then if you trust them, act on it, difficult as it may be - often the kindest decision we make as an owner is the last one. xx

PucciNPoni

Visit site

I agree with this.

I think it depends on what they expect to see on the xray, and what the treatment or prognosis would be for a 13 year old (large breed) dog would be.

I know how it feels - part of you says let the dog go, the other part wants to hang on and fight. I've been there with two dogs over the past couple of years and it never gets any easier. I hate having to make the choice, and there's also a part of me that has wanted nature to take its course (but you also don't want an old dog to die alone in their bed when you're away). The only way to guarantee that you can be there to say good bye is to help them along.

Vicstress

Visit site
sorry you are having to make these decisions but I would question a vet who wanted to keep trying to keep an animal alive for the sake of it.....you will know when it's time Xx

Surreydeb

Visit site
OP if you are asking the question I think in your heart you know the answer. I really sympathise my dog has oral cancer and has been kept comfortable on Metacam but despite still being a loony springer spaniel and being keen to play and run about as usual, he is increasingly hard to get to eat.
It's so difficult when they still outwardly look well, but my decision is made and he is going to vets tomorrow for the final kindness I can give him. Agree with a day too soon etc. it's so hard to make that decision, but I'm sure you will do what is the best for your dog at the appropriate time. Hugs xx