PTS- its been asked a million times sorry

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I don't know how to do it :(
I've had two done before, one was already down and the vet injected, the other was very poorly and went down quickly and easily- no problems and the vet was very good.
However I've more recently after reading threads on here decided if the time ever came again I may use the hunt as it sounds more instant and they sound very kind and professional.
Its not that easy now though that I actually am needing to arrange things. All I can do is cry about it.
Ideally id want to be holding him but I just don't know if I can....also I don't want some horrific image to be my last memory.
I also don't want to get him injected just because its the nicer option for me.
If the hunt did it would I have time to say goodbye? Or is it really better to say goodbye before?
I'm just actually scared, I'm scared I'm making the wrong decision but at the same time I need to do it sooner as I feel like I'm in limbo I don't know what to do with myself.
Do I need to be practical and think of lorry access, do I do it with his little friend near?- I think id have to as he would panic if I tried to split them. (luckily little friend couldn't care less!)

He lay down this morning and let me approach him for the first time ever without jumping up ;'(
What's best for him? Its the most heartbreaking thing and I feel like I'm letting him down.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Tbh if you want to hold him and you'll be comfortable and less upset having the injection, and this has worked well for you in the past, why not do the same thing again? Just because the hunt s right for others doesn't mean it's right for everyone.

Hope it's not something you have to do soon :(

BlackRider

Visit site
I choose the injection, it was very quick, and I was with her until the end.

The vet asked that we did it in the school, so there was easy lorry access, when Mist had gone the vet said to spend as much time as I liked, and when I was ready they would come and take her away (the removal chap parked up the road and came when the vet rang him).

I also took my other horse over to say goodbye, and he gently sniffed her x

Kokopelli

Visit site
Agree with the above, the injection is the best way if you want to be there and hold. If not then the hunt are great.

I debated for a few days running up to when my chap was pts in the end we decided to have him injected. We gave him a sedation in his stable, lead him to the grass patch beside the arena and waited and waited for him to settle. We then gave him a second sedation and then the injection once he settled and he went down very quick. It was very peaceful and I'm so glad I was there for him and in future would not have a horse shot in that situation.

FairyLights

Visit site
I've has several horses PTS in my long years of ownership. I prefer to get the hunt out and have them shot. its instant and they are dead before they reach the ground whereas with injection the vet told me they have a sensation of going down as it isnt as quick as the bullet.

Spring Feather

Visit site
Many years ago I always had them shot but that was because I didn't have faith in the drugs they used at the time. I haven't had a horse shot for at least 10 years now as the drugs they use these days are very effective and it means I can be with them right to the end. It all comes down to choice, both methods are equally as efficient.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
All good advice above, either method is effiicient.

If you want more personal input, you can always call the BHS & have one of the Friends at the End people to chat to or visit you.
There are quite a number of these trained people across the UK who can give impartial advice & can come & see you before the time. They can also be with you when the horse goes too.

Sorry, its probably the worst decision to have to take as a horse owner, but at least you are able to do this for your horse.
Big hugs xx

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
It is always a difficult decision when you are wondering if it is time.
I am one of those who prefers to have the horse shot, we've had several horses pts, we've had injection, hunt and knacker. I actually prefer knacker but that is, at least partly, because we know her socially. I have no complaints about any of the professionals involved but have seen both a Section A who had had a series of injections throughout her illness and a big ID react badly to the injection. ID was only a couple of years ago, she stood up on her back legs as the fluid went in and vet had a struggle to get the 2nd lot into the needle. You are right, imo to say that the bullet is better for the horse, in that it is instantaneous. Apart from not being able to hold the lead-rope yourself, there is very little difference for the owner in the actual procedure. You can be present, the horse usually has its head in a bucket of feed and literally is dead before it lands on the ground. The gun is small, the horse is standing completely still, has absolutely no fear and there is no more blood, ime than with the injection.
We did have our first horse shot - arranged as an emergency after a field accident by the farmer whose field he was in and all those years ago there was a lot of blood after the body had been removed, the horse had been bled as the carcase was to be used. The farmer, whose daughters were the same age as sis and me, made us go home and he dealt with the aftermath.
Nowadays the body will be incinerated by the knacker and there has never been much blood when the hunt has done the job.
Yes, you need to consider access for removal of the body and I would strongly advise that you don't watch that part of the process. As for saying goodbye, I'm sure that whoever does the job for you will be sympathetic, after all they are all horse-people themselves, although if you want to spend a long time doing so, it would probably be better to have the injection and book the transport a bit later. I think that could be a bit awkward if you are on a livery yard, because there will be other people, including possibly children around.
Thinking of you at this difficult time.

babymare

Visit site
For me it was always going to be injection. I wanted to be there with her. It wasnt easy but i fiund that inner strength to hold it together till she dropped. im so so sorry you are facing this but if its time then its that final biggest act of love for any animal. big big hugs x x

ShowjumpingPrincess

Visit site
i would never have a horse taken away to be shot whether it be a knacker or a hunt as the last thing an old horse or a horse in pain needs is to be in an unfamiliar location particulary one with the smell of dead horses or animals around (horses are very sensitive to smells and if they smell a dead animal they will sense danger.) whereas at your own yard in the horses own stable/field with people and horses he knows and with his mum feeding him polos is probably the most peacefull send off for a horse. I also find that if you have the horses best pal around it can not only make it easier for your horse, but easier for the other horse who should understand (ish) and wont pine for them. (not all the time, but it helps to take the other horse over so they realise what has happened)

i hope you are ok :)

montanna

Visit site
the last thing an old horse or a horse in pain needs is to be in an unfamiliar location particulary one with the smell of dead horses or animals around (horses are very sensitive to smells and if they smell a dead animal they will sense danger.)

Sorry but this is such rubbish and I hate this untrue perception. I have taken my mare to be put to sleep by the hunt, she skipped up onto the box as if she was off out to a show and went with her head in a bucket of feed. Horses don't know what guns are! Not sure what you are imagining but there are no dead animals hanging around or any smell of blood in the air!! There is nobody more professional and no more humane way to PTS imo.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
i would never have a horse taken away to be shot whether it be a knacker or a hunt as the last thing an old horse or a horse in pain needs is to be in an unfamiliar location particulary one with the smell of dead horses or animals around (horses are very sensitive to smells and if they smell a dead animal they will sense danger.) whereas at your own yard in the horses own stable/field with people and horses he knows and with his mum feeding him polos is probably the most peacefull send off for a horse. I also find that if you have the horses best pal around it can not only make it easier for your horse, but easier for the other horse who should understand (ish) and wont pine for them. (not all the time, but it helps to take the other horse over so they realise what has happened)

i hope you are ok :)

No I totally agree with this. I absolutely would never send him away. Hes not a horse who's visited shows or fun things. He's been to the vets and moved house that's all in the last 7 years so I certainly wont take him anywhere.
He will be in his field where he's safe and happy.

Tonight he seemed a bit brighter but I know its the bute kicking in- that's nice though, I saw a little bit of the old him.

Im still erring towards the hunt I think. My boss tells me our local man is fantastic, a real horse lover and very kind. He will apparently also bring someone to hold him if I cant, I still don't know.
Is the bang loud?
I feel like my insides have been smashed out :(

Jaycee

Visit site
It's an awful decision to have to make I hope you're ok.
During the last 10 years I have had to make that decision twice, the first time the decision was taken out of my hands as there was nothing that could be done, she was pts by injection and I found it the most harrowing thing to witness, I wasn't allowed in her stable once the final injection was given as there was no guarantee as to where she would fall.
My second horse was my decision so I chose to use the local knackerman. He was the kindest most considerate person I would wish to have deal with my horse during his final moments. He explained exactly what would happen, he bought earplugs for me, I could stay, I could leave, I could hold him while it was done if I wanted to.
I chose to stay with him and on my nod down he went with a mouthful of oats. The knackerman left me with my horse until I was ready for him to be moved he even cut some of his tail for me and tied it up beautifully without me knowing. Nothing was rushed the atmosphere was so calm it was almost surreal. With my first horse I was in floods of tears from start to finish but with my boy my tears didn't come until he had gone.

AmiRobertson

Visit site
I am so sorry poiuytrewq that you are having to make this decision. It's awful and I am currently going through this myself except the decision is made and mine will be pts on Tuesday.
I chose the injection because I want my vet to do it as I trust her and dizzy knows and trusts her (she is the nice lady who always has apples) my vets have been wonderful. They have organised everything including the pick up and my vet spent a long time on the phone to me yesterday explaining exactly what would happen.
It's a personal choice and I don't think you can make a wrong choice as long as you feel it is right for you.
I really can sympathise with you I have never had to do this before and it's a horrible thing. You know and love your horse you will know what to do when the time comes xxx

Crumpet

Visit site
I've had all three types of pts. The injection was very humane, no problems with being there until the end and no mess, you will need to find somewhere soft like a school or field and accessable, as removing a horse from a stable isn't easy.
Our hunt won't pts at your premises, are very sympathetic and respectful but are efficient, you aren't allowed to hold them due to safety reasons, they prefer you to wait out of sight and they come and confirm afterwards that it's all done.
The knacker man came and did my last one and my other half held him, and he's done another here that I held, there is some blood, but death is instant. The gun is extremely loud and if you can avoid it I would, you also really don't want to see the removal either.
I really feel for you and know that the last thing you want to do is pts a beloved friend. Basically if you aren't having the injection, say your goodbyes and go, let the professionals deal with it and remember how you last saw them. If you want tail hair do it before you go. At our yard we have all agreed to deal with each others, so the owner doesn't have to be there right at the end, it's still upsetting, but not as bad as your own. So sorry you are at this point in time :(

Cedars

Visit site
I have had two done by the hunt (coming to us) in the last year. For both, I did not hold their heads but stood very close by. As soon as they were safe to go back to, I did, and I find it a necessary process for me to say goodbye after the deed is done, so that it sort of clicks in my head.

I 'like' the bullet as it is extremely quick and simple - they are quite frankly, obviously very dead before they hit the ground and I find that very comforting. However, the blood/wee/poo does not bother me and I am not squeamish - if you were then it is not great as you couldn't go back to them afterwards.

I agree that I think tbh both are equally as humane, I'm not sure there is a clearly better option. It has to come down to what suits you and your horse best. For example, all of our horses so far are absolutely fine being handled by other people and are regularly used to standing with others with me nearby - so neither of ours cared one jot that I wasn't the one holding the leadrope. If I had one that did, then I would consider the injection for that horse. If I had one that was down in its box with other horses nearby, I'd have the injection.... So on and so forth.

Really it's just what is best for you and your horse, when the time comes. I really think any option is perfectly fine and there isn't one much better or worse than the others.

5bs

Visit site
I have had four PTS in the last five years and I have been with four others that have also been PTS, all where sedated by the vet and then shot. The hunt then came and collected them. I / we just wanted our vets to shot them, personally for me the gun is so, so quick they have hit the ground in a nano second and have absolutely no idea.

I didn't stay with mine, but did my friends, as I would have been to much of a wreck to be there. Although I did stay with one of mine, for two hours after he had been shot as he had had a horrid time before he came to us, and it was the first time I had seen him truly at peace, and it was odly very comforting to be with him.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
I've always held mine, be it horses or dogs. I've always wanted to be there supporting and making sure they knew they were loved to the last. The only difference was when I had Tiggy put to sleep at the AHT. They wouldn't let me stay with her, but I stayed until she'd had the injection that relaxed her and made her sleepy, after which it was only a minute or so until the final injection. I sat with her afterwards and talked of love and grass and all the things we had done. It was comforting. The others I've stayed with them until the man has come to take them. The one we've used has been wonderful in their care, patience, and compassion. I've always had family with me and a good friend; the friend has taken over to oversee the taking away as I've never wanted to see that part for my own horses, though I've done it for other peoples'.

Bobbly

Visit site
I have always had mine shot, by the hunt normally, and I have handed them over for the deed to be done, none were traumatised by me not being there as they had been well handled by others. With some there is blood, and quite a lot, whilst others there has been none. I have had one experience with a knackerman and friends pony, we had no choice but to call him as the huntsman I had booked unfortunately couldn't attend as his wife went into labour!, if we had used the vet we would still have had the pony to dispose of which we couldn't leave on the ground as the field was on a footpath so we called our local knackerman who did the deed with the old fashioned 'brass bell and mallett' system, as good as a captive bolt and as quick but there was a lot of blood to flush away. For me the worst part is the removal and if you can, don't watch it, it's not a pretty sight I'm afraid.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Thank you all, Im not going to watch the removal- I know its not nice. The first one we were lucky enough to take ourselves and bury on my partners boss's land but that was some time ago.
One thing I liked about the second (and this is a bit weird) but I liked the fact the guy turned up with a spotless lorry to collect our little girl and he had a tie on and looked really smart. I thought that was really lovely and respectful.
Having thought more and read all your helpful replies ive decided to go for the gun as looking back I remember fear in out last ponies eyes as she went down, only for a split second but I like the idea of the instantness and that he will know nothing about anything.
I don't think I will hold him for that but other people have handled him so he wont find anything too strange about that.

julie111

Visit site
I just want to say how sorry I am that you soon might be having to make that choice.
I had a little mare shot by the knackerman, he was very softly spoken and very patient, my mare had her head in a bucket of feed and knew absolutely nothing, she was dead before she hit the ground. There was very little blood, we bought her field buddy over to see that she had gone and the knackerman waited patiently for the goodbyes to be done. The bang was loud but it was very very quick.
Thinking of you, take care x