PTS Logistics?

Cedars

Visit site
Quick question as the deed being done tomorrow morning (late night worries, I guess).

Horse being PTS is best friends with another horse on yard. Everyone recommending I allow horse time to sniff body etc. and I agree.

Just not sure how to manage it? Do I lead horse to body and allow time still attached to lead rope? Does it need to be let loose? How much time? I will obviously try to be guided by horse but I'm not sure whether I should be close by or distant and a vague expectation of time would be good.

Hunt doing everything so won't have hours (though he suggested without prompting that she has time to see).

Any experiences appreciated, first time doing this as previous horse was not done on our home yard.

Thanks in advance.

Fii

Visit site
Oh no poor you :( which one?
We just let the other horses go up on their own to have a look! Our was buried in the field and his best mate stood over the grave on and off for days!! :(

crabbymare

Visit site
It would depend on exactly where its being done as usually its not a field if the hunt are going to take the horse away soon after. I would lead the best friend round near to the place the horse is lying and let it take you to the body or graze if there is grass and then it will normally move closer on its own sniff the body and move away of its own accord. if its in a field the horse could go out loose if its easy to catch again when the hunt need to get in for the removal. hope it goes peacefully for you :(

Cedars

Visit site
Will be done in enclosed area so can let her free if necessary but not if she's going to go nutty as there are some steep drops. I like the sound of taking her to the grass and letting her lead me.

Queenbee

Visit site
Quick question as the deed being done tomorrow morning (late night worries, I guess).

Horse being PTS is best friends with another horse on yard. Everyone recommending I allow horse time to sniff body etc. and I agree.

Just not sure how to manage it? Do I lead horse to body and allow time still attached to lead rope? Does it need to be let loose? How much time? I will obviously try to be guided by horse but I'm not sure whether I should be close by or distant and a vague expectation of time would be good.

Hunt doing everything so won't have hours (though he suggested without prompting that she has time to see).

Any experiences appreciated, first time doing this as previous horse was not done on our home yard.

Thanks in advance.

I cant really advise, despite being through it, I suppose your best thing to do is to assess the set up of your yard, where the deed is being done and where the other horse is being kept etc. All I can say is that I do 'think' it helped ben, when Ebs was pts it was incredibly hard for him, she had been his constant rock, his surrogate mum and herd leader for 2 1/2 years since leaving his dam. The set up at my yard was this, stables were in a barn, you then walked out of the yard down a slop to the next level ( the car park) then on the next level was the grass school arena where ebs was pts... ben was left in the stable, there was no way I could trust him to be handled by someone else while the deed was done so he could not 'watch and process'

I very much needed my friends to stay away, I needed to be only focussed on ebony and be there for her, they wanted to be there for me, but I knew they would crack and I would have my focus drawn away so I asked them to sit with ben, they watched around the corner, at the same time as ebs was PTS by injection, he spased out a bit in his stable... went really alert...

Once the deed was done, I took five minutes and went into the stable with him. I tried to calm him as much as I was able, and indeed with me, he did relax although I was shaking from head to foot... as we walked out of the stable block he clocked her... it was such a wierd moment, his front end stopped moving and his hind kept going... but his front just couldnt seem to comprehend what was going on... Once he had clocked that she was down... he went live wire all I can say is I thank god he was trying to cleave to me for some sort of reassurance... I was certain her was going over the side of the ramp and dropping to the second level of his own accord... I shouted to my friend to open the gate and once I had made it down to the carpark with him I just let him go and he ran to her... after he was safely in the paddock with her I called him and he let me unclip his lead

It took him a long while to go through a number of stages, he nuzzled her, bit her, tried to drag her rug off her, cantered round her fly bucking at her and eventually settled in the field grazing...

I have heard on here about someone whos horse went down in a stable and had to be PTS there, she was dam to the horse in the next stable... the horse in the next stable stayed where she was throughout the entire process and came out better for it. I certainly believe it would have been far harder for ben to not have seen ebony.

If I can offer any advice it would be the following, make sure the 'friend' can either watch the entire process, by being held by a handler she trusts and has a strong bond with, or ensure that the path is safe and clear so that when you do take her to her old comrade, if he/she needs to go, you can let her go safely, perhaps dont clip the lead rope on but thread it through the headcollar and hold both ends so you can slip it... I absolutely agree with animals being able to say goodbye, it helps them process their grief.

Cedars

Visit site
Thanks QB. I hope horse will be able to watch. Hmmm. Think rope looped through is a good call.

Queenbee

Visit site
Thanks QB. I hope horse will be able to watch. Hmmm. Think rope looped through is a good call.

It definitely is, Suddenly, all he wanted was to be in that arena and to work out what was so wrong... keeping hold of him would have been dangerous, definitely would use a slip in the future

What I did find is that, whatever ben did... It was probably within a 20 metre circle around her (max) another argument for letting the horse watch though is that any horse that I know that has dropped down dead in a field... the others seem to process this immediately and pretty much continue to graze

Cedars

Visit site
Will have to see logistically with hunt where they can back up to etc. Strangely not something we thought about when we bought the yard!!!! Actually quite a challenge.

This is the horrid bit :(

Queenbee

Visit site
Will have to see logistically with hunt where they can back up to etc. Strangely not something we thought about when we bought the yard!!!! Actually quite a challenge.

This is the horrid bit :(

it is the horrid bit xxx will be thinking of you xx lots of hand fed grass and huge amounts of cuddles to them both and you xxx

Puppy

Visit site
When I had Star PTS, we did it in the field. I put Be in a neighbouring paddock, just the other side of the electric fence. Star was PTS by the vet, by injection and it was all quite peaceful. We then let Be in the field with the body for half an hour or so. We brought her in to the stable (and didn't look) whilst they loaded up her body. She was taken away for cremation. I can definitely say that having had time with the body meant that Be knew Star was gone and not coming back. Gosh, I feel quite emotional writing that, even though it's coming up to 2 years now :(

Cedars

Visit site
I wasn't planning to allow the other two (in the field, will witness but haven't been grazing with her for months) time to touch the body. Questioning myself now - think I'll just have to make that decision on my feet as I go, if they barely look up then I won't be if they look distressed I will.

Feeling so panicky. Not about the deed itself. Just the repurcussions for the ones left behind. I'm on my own and I don't want to get it wrong.

Queenbee

Visit site
When I had Star PTS, we did it in the field. I put Be in a neighbouring paddock, just the other side of the electric fence. Star was PTS by the vet, by injection and it was all quite peaceful. We then let Be in the field with the body for half an hour or so. We brought her in to the stable (and didn't look) whilst they loaded up her body. She was taken away for cremation. I can definitely say that having had time with the body meant that Be knew Star was gone and not coming back. Gosh, I feel quite emotional writing that, even though it's coming up to 2 years now :(

I know what you mean:( Cedars xxx we are all thinking of you xxx

braindead

Visit site
I had my old boy pts in the field. The two others were looking over the gate of the field, not sure if they could see anything. After it was all over we let the two through. They both sniffed and nudged my old boy. It was incredible. Just for a split second a look of complete sadness came into Troy's eyes when he realised his friend had gone.

ShadowFlame

Visit site
Only ever witnessed it once. Pony was PTS in his field by vet, his best friend (who was calling to him throughout, they didn't like being out of each other's sight) was led over inhand once he'd gone. Horse took off, circled the field for a good 20mins, still calling. All rather upsetting, but he did calm down again relatively quickly.

Thinking of you, Cedars.

joeanne

Visit site
Given how many you have had PTS over the years I really don't know why you are asking such questions. Was not THAT long ago you had Henry PTS was it?

mischamoo

Visit site
Given how many you have had PTS over the years I really don't know why you are asking such questions. Was not THAT long ago you had Henry PTS was it?

Compassion at it's greatest.......

I don't know Cedar's history but I feel it's relevant to say that regardless of how many you have PTS, it's never an easy decision to make and OP has already said that this is being done on the home yard for first time.

I hope everything goes ok for you this morning OP and that your friend's horse is ok.

joeanne

Visit site
Compassion at it's greatest.......

I don't know Cedar's history but I feel it's relevant to say that regardless of how many you have PTS, it's never an easy decision to make and OP has already said that this is being done on the home yard for first time.

I hope everything goes ok for you this morning OP and that your friend's horse is ok.

Compassion....mmmm
When you actually know a bit about Cedars love of being involved with anything being PTS you will realise (like many others do) that it is merely yet another attention seeking post.

Lady La La

Visit site
Nail on the head Joeanne. I would have thought Cedars would be something of an authority on this particular subject...

mischamoo

Visit site
Compassion....mmmm
When you actually know a bit about Cedars love of being involved with anything being PTS you will realise (like many others do) that it is merely yet another attention seeking post.

No I'm afraid I don't know anything about this being a newbie to the site however if you think Cedar attention seeks on such a morbid topic, why gratify that by commenting on her post? As a newbie reading your comment it can certainly deter genuine posters who would want to seek advice on such an upsetting subject :(

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site

Thanks in advance.

Cedars, you will remember my mare i lost at xmas my 1 in a million. When she went to sleep I let her son sniff her just before then he went out the school. After she was gone we let him walk back in and he sniffed her and nuzzled her, then hubby led him away, it was gut wrenching I can tell you. I am glad I did it and would do it again, he understood his mum had crossed over.

We kept him on the lead rope and we went on how Biscuit was he told us when he wanted to leave, in hindsight it was prob 5 mins or so.

! thing I would never do is let Biscuit see his mum drop to the floor:(

Last edited:

Zero00000

Visit site
This forum can be disgusting at times!

Hope all goes ok for you this morning Cedars, will be thinking of you and your horses today.

Cedars

Visit site
Morning.

Best friend watched, I led her to body and she sniffed then pawed and then started grazing within a minute or so. Led her away when she was grazing without looking up.

Led other two out of their fields, allowed them to do what they chose. One did not want to be anywhere near at all and was not keen so I let him go. One did not want to touch her but he got close and certainly 'understood' I hope.

They're all in together now and happily grazing so hopefully they got what they needed.

Thanks for support x

3OldPonies

Visit site
Cedars, I feel very sorry for you today, and hope that you can take heart from the way that the other horses behaved.

Take no notice of the nasty posts on these threads, even if you have had to experience horses being PTS more than some others it still doesn't make it an easy thing to do.