pts nastiness.

GirlFriday

Visit site
I'm in favour of PTS when necessary. I do it myself. And it sucks. But I have no qualms. It is just sad.

Was simply pointing out that in this particular instance the OP has
- given enough info to ID the YO (think how they must feel reading 6 pages of vitriol about them and their customers!)
- decided, for possibly excellent (but unknown to this thread) reasons, to refuse assistance from said YO which would have given OP more freedom to do what she felt was right for her older horse

No one has a 'right' to take an unbalanced view and get unconditional validation. Even on HHO. The OP posted a very measured and realistic post. She'll understandably feel rubbish now. I was simply pointing out that there are other ways to view the situation and actions of those involved which take a less-dim view of humanity in general.

conniegirl

Visit site
I'm in favour of PTS when necessary. I do it myself. And it sucks. But I have no qualms. It is just sad.

- given enough info to ID the YO (think how they must feel reading 6 pages of vitriol about them and their customers!)
- decided, for possibly excellent (but unknown to this thread) reasons, to refuse assistance from said YO which would have given OP more freedom to do what she felt was right for her older horse

No one has a 'right' to take an unbalanced view and get unconditional validation. Even on HHO. The OP posted a very measured and realistic post. She'll understandably feel rubbish now. I was simply pointing out that there are other ways to view the situation and actions of those involved which take a less-dim view of humanity in general.

I still think you are being unnecessarily cruel, highly judgemental and in this case flat out wrong.
I certainly cant identify the yard owner but if they read this and Identify themselves then maybe it will make them sit back and reevaluate thier behavior which in this case was utterly reprehensible.

If the OP (along with others by the sounds of it) had not been driven off the yard by the yard owner she would not be in financial situation she was put in, however it sounds like the horse was struggling already and even without the financial aspect of it she was already considering PTS anyway.
And yes finance does come into a lot of PTS decisions and so it should. We pay a lot for this hobby why should she not be able to enjoy a rideable horse. It is certainly coming into my decision, At the moment I can afford my horses medication if he is at my mums, but the horse could live a long time on his current medication, who is to say in a couple of years time that I will still be able to afford it, if the point comes where my financial situation will cause him to suffer then he will be PTS.

Finally even if she could have afforded to have 2 horses on livery, moving a 30 year old horse into a new place with all the associated stress of quarantine, new herd structures, the loss of existing friends etc is unfair on the horse and I too would have PTS.
We saw it on the yard I was on, one horse in his early 30's was moved from another yard onto ours, he went down hill so rapidly, lost tons of weight etc. It is extremely unfair to move most horses that age.

Last edited:

LaurenBay

Visit site
GirlFriday - did you not read the part where OP mentioned her old Horse was struggling to walk? even for food? How would selling the homebred back to the YO have helped that... I have no sympathy for the YO.

luckyoldme

Visit site
just for information.
Im happy for girl friday to her point accross(not that she needs my permission)
There are a couple of points in which she is wrong, my young horse was a bogoff not homebred and i have been her main caregiver since day one. i was offerred a valuable experience to handle and bring on a youngster which i took.No one else wanted to do it at the time. I broke her in myself and bought her.
They have asked a few times if they could by her back and i have already said no,
If I owned my own land i would have kept my old boy longer, if i could have stayed where we were like it was 3 months ago i would have kept him longer.
I posted in sheer despair, it was the day after and i do think gf has a point, i feel a bit worried that the yo would be told about this thread. Having said that also i think it hopefully should tell people to refrain from judging. I pts my horse obviously other people would prefer to keep them going longer and some evan watch them hobbling round for months on end. He may not understand my reasons, but it certainly didnt mean i didnt love my horse..he was the absolute bloody best.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Hugs luckyoldme. I'm so sorry you've had to deal with all this. It sounds to me like the perfect time to pts. If my old horse struggled to come for food I'd be making the same call.
Go easy on yourself. Your yo words sadly cannot be unheard but they are wrong. You did the best kindest thing regardless of wether money or anything else factored into the timing.

RaposadeGengibre

Visit site

You just can't resist turning a knife in OPs wound....

Reacher

Visit site
I'm very sorry for your loss and the extra distress you're having to deal with.
If I understand correctly your young horse will now be at a new yard and I hope that makes it easier to put the unpleasantness behind you xxx

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
livery yards are very, very bitchy places (which don't usually deny other clients access to their own horses just because another is being PTS)

OP did not say she wanted all other liveries banned from the premises - she just wanted space & privacy and was denied it. I have never been on a yard that allowed people to hang round and watch another person's horse being PTS. Are you seriously saying that is ok? The last time it happened on my yard we were all told where and what time and to avoid that area till it was all over apart from the people the livery wanted with her to support her.

turkana

Visit site
OP did not say she wanted all other liveries banned from the premises - she just wanted space & privacy and was denied it. I have never been on a yard that allowed people to hang round and watch another person's horse being PTS. Are you seriously saying that is ok? The last time it happened on my yard we were all told where and what time and to avoid that area till it was all over apart from the people the livery wanted with her to support her.

Exactly, when I have had a horse put down other liveries have given me space without even having to ask for it, it's just common decency & have have done the same for others. I recently found a fataly injured horse in the field, I stayed her until the owner arrived & stayed with the owner until the vet came; when the moment came to put the horse down I walked away.
Surely it's not hard to show a bit of compasion to a fellow horse lover?

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
We keep our horses at home, as does our neighbour, we recently had to have one of our horses pts and the neighbour recognised the knackerwomans wagon as it came up the lane. She had the decency to wait until she could see which of our horses was no longer with us, and give us a couple of days, before she caught us on the lane, to tell us how sorry she was. Common decency is something anyone can exercise, if they wish to.

SallyBatty

Visit site
When a horse on our livery yard has had to be put to sleep, the yard owner asked that all other liveries stayed away from the yard until after the horse had been taken away.

Cecile

Visit site
I have never known anyone to hang around unless they are needed when someone is having a horse/pony put down, even if it means doing jobs in a different area to keep out the way

I also warned some men doing fencing on a nearby property that a horse was being put down + the owner of the property, they all vanished for a couple of hours
but they came over to see me a few days later, they also thanked me for warning them as the neighbour had some children visiting that day

OP I hope you really enjoy your new yard

Tronk

Visit site
OP you have done exactly the right thing and it is no one’s business but your own. I had my 7 year old PTS two weeks ago and I wish I’d done it a couple of days before. It is the hardest decision to make but absolutely the right one. Like others have said, better a week to early than a day too late. I will be having my old horse PTS on a lovely sunny day one summer when I feel another winter will be too much for him. At 30 your boy had a lovely life with you and was very privileged that you were able to ensure he never knew a day of pain.

Shantara

Visit site
When a horse on our livery yard has had to be put to sleep, the yard owner asked that all other liveries stayed away from the yard until after the horse had been taken away.

This.
Usually it's just me and YO. When it was YO's horse, a livery stayed behind to help me and was great.
The farrier happened to be there the last time and was extremely helpful, he's a real star.

I don't think we've ever had to ask a livery to leave, at least not the 6 times I've been there.

budatiger

Visit site
OP I also had my horse PTS on Monday. It's been a very traumatic week for me, not to mention the few days before. I can't imagine how those comments made you feel.
You're better off away from those kind of people. How insensitive some people are? Do they not realise that making the decision was such a difficult one? Anyway, good luck in the future.

frankster

Visit site
I do feel for you, this happened to me earlier this year. Despite the pathetic individuals who found it fun to challenge my decision, supported by an equine vet, I know that I did the right thing for my old friend. Unfortunately I now have the deepest loathing for those who were so nastly, we live in the same village.......

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
Earlier this year I had both my horses PTS on the same day. Their problems were entirely different and presented themselves quite quickly. It was the most awful time. Everyone I knew was supportive, sympathetic and understanding.
Please take comfort that most horse owners that would not be so crass as to criticise your decision. Those that do should be ignored. As this forum has shown we understand.
Sending you my support and sympathy

“Better a day to early than a day too late”

honetpot

Visit site
Lots of us have had to do this, and for what ever reason, it's no one business but yours. Apart from my husband I never discuss it with anyone one, and anyone who is doing this I wouldn't discuss down the yard. Unfortunately there are too many people who do not think before they open their mouth, and with social media it can soon become a mine of misinformation.
I an really sorry you have had to go through this, it's horrible, but you will never to worry about him again.

Equi

Visit site
I am so sorry this happened to you. I have to say my yard is full of such lovely people that if a horse needed pts for "issues" they would all be in total support. A new liveries pony was pts a few days ago (twisted gut/colic) and she cant stop saying how grateful she is to us for helping out in the immediate emergency before she got there by getting vet etc but after that 1) giving her time alone with the pony but also being there to check in on them and give support, bring coffee and soup etc while they waited to see if treatment worked then 2) being so supporting about her decision to not take him for surgery. She kept her stable and is hopefully getting another horse soon (was looking for a second anyway before poor pony passed away) which im really glad about cause she and her partner/kid are good spuds. They fit right in with us.

luckyoldme

Visit site
OP I also had my horse PTS on Monday. It's been a very traumatic week for me, not to mention the few days before. I can't imagine how those comments made you feel.
You're better off away from those kind of people. How insensitive some people are? Do they not realise that making the decision was such a difficult one? Anyway, good luck in the future.

I'm so sorry. ..I hope the vet and driver were as good as mine.what I haven't said on here is how great my proper friends and hubby were. Listening to me greeting and moaning on. It was a georgous frosty morning here and since then we have had some proper horrible weather. When it's cold wet and windy for a moment I worry about him then I'm relieved he is not out of it. Then I am sad he is gone. ! IT REALLY sucks. What a sad thing to have in common.