PTS needle phobic horse

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
My little gelding was my horse of a lifetime. He was nervous around vets and a nightmare to have his flu jab. I decided to 3 weeks ago to have him shot (obviously for a correct reason) the lady who done it was so so professional. She met him first, gave him a pack of polos and a stroke for 5 minutes. He questioned nothing, thought she was his new best friend and was so happy to be eating so many polos. She then gave him another pack of polos, while he was eating those she shot him. It was quick, he was gone and on the floor before I even registered the bang. I was glad I was there with him, holding the lead rope as I was with him to the end and he suspected nothing!

The only thing I would say is he bled, a lot. Apparently as much as a thoroughbred which made her question his breeding as of this (breeding was unknown) but it didn't upset me, it made me feel at ease because it was like he went into the ground/field where it happened, and I can go and talk to him, and where I chose for it to happen he over looks the town from a viewpoint, which is nice. My previous horse didn't have a single drop of blood when she was shot - the lady said some horses bleed lots, others don't.

I'd have it done again by shot, its so quick and humane. He'd of definitely known if something was up if he smelt the vet. My vet agreed it was the fastest and most humane way.

I red a horror story a few months back on a vet group, about a gelding that suffered severe colic. Vet put him to sleep at 11pm and left the body to be collected the next morning. Well, at 7am the yard owner apparently arrived to expect to see a body, but found the horse back on his feet! The vet came straight back out and dealt with it.
Lots of vets commented to say (and mine agreed) its extremely rare but it is possible as the heart rate can be reduced so much it sounds like the heart has stopped when it hasn't. Just freaked me out!

Last edited:

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
Horses know when another horse has died, but they don't usually overreact. I have had to put down foals and always have the dam there so they can see them go down and spend a little time with the body afterwards. Usually they sniff the body and occasionally paw at them a little. Horses are much easier to deal with than over- emotional owners.

I had this proven to me last month. I thought my other horse would be so upset by it all. When I had mine shot 3 weeks ago I let my other gelding sniff where it happened. Prior to sniffing the area he was frantically looking for him, calling etc. He sniffed the 'place' for a few minutes and remained completely still. He then quietly carried on grazing, he hasn't looked for him since. No sign of stress, worry, completely at ease about the situation. They were inseparable for 5 years from youngsters so it surprised me how relaxed he was about it. He didn't see the body but was clear he knew.

The lady who shot my gelding said she shoots some horses in their field, among their herd and they are completely relaxed by it all.

Lizzie in Somerset was the lady I used, although she travels most of the South West I believe - 07899 652121

Last edited:

AandK

Visit site
When you say your 22 year old I assume you mean horse. How did she react when her mate went down? I have often suggested people have their horse bond pair see them after they have died but have always assumed it would be too traumatic for another horse to watch the 'end' so to speak.

I am not criticising by the way. I am just curious. I hope I haven't upset you by asking? I assume they just think they are going down to roll? x

No upset caused. And yes my 22yo is one of my other horses, they had been out together for about 10yrs so knew each other very well. My 29yo would have been very unsettled if he was not there with her, and I wanted to make it as easy as possible for her. He (the 22yo) nickered when she went down, but was otherwise okay during the procedure. He sniffed her once she was gone and seemed to understand at the time. We stayed with her until she was collected, he was quite unsettled for a few days after, but that was to be expected.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Is that Holts, that's the only one I know of. I may have to make the decision for my retired one and just wanting to know options.

Yes, or there’s Tony Courtenay, based near Dunstable. I’m sorry to hear you’re in a similar position. Just a waiting game, every day‘s a bonus.

Velcrobum

Visit site
My very old dearly beloved boy was PTS by injection by a specific vet it was very peaceful and dignified. He was taken and cremated by
http://www.equinebereavementservices.co.uk/ and I have his ashes. When I had my 10year old PTS I used Micky to shoot him. My OH stayed I retreated to the house but watched from a bedroom window. Micky scratched him on the forehead then he was shot with his ears pricked gazing into the distance. It was very vary quick and dignified a "sheet" had been put on the ground prior so any blood was captured. I highly recommend this service and he is the disposal service used by a great many practices for miles around.

HobleytheTB

Visit site
How did she react when her mate went down?

I witnessed a fellow liveries horse PTS (by injection) in the field with a companion present. Companion definitely knew his friend hadn't just gone down for a roll - he seemed quite spooked by it. Had a short trot and snort around the periphery, and then tentatively approached the body. He was actually very calm then and we gave him some time to lick and paw at his friend. Very interesting but sad to see. Companion was absolutely fine afterwards, no calling etc. I think he probably realised the other horse had dropped in an unnatural way and was just surprised but then seemed to understand. He certainly didn't seem traumatised, but then he's a very chilled gelding and I wouldn't say him and the injured horse were close friends in the field particularly.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Yes, or there’s Tony Courtenay, based near Dunstable. I’m sorry to hear you’re in a similar position. Just a waiting game, every day‘s a bonus.
Thanks, that and velcrobum's suggestion gives me a few options. It may be sooner rather than later and I want to be prepared.

My other horse is very attached and calls and stands waiting when the other goes for a walk. I may have to let him see the body so he's not waiting for Frankie to come back.

Maybe an odd question and don't want to offend anyone, but does anyone consider the environmental impact of cremation rather than using it. I'm not squeamish about after he's gone but do want the easiest method for him.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Thanks, that and velcrobum's suggestion gives me a few options. It may be sooner rather than later and I want to be prepared.

My other horse is very attached and calls and stands waiting when the other goes for a walk. I may have to let him see the body so he's not waiting for Frankie to come back.

Maybe an odd question and don't want to offend anyone, but does anyone consider the environmental impact of cremation rather than using it. I'm not squeamish about after he's gone but do want the easiest method for him.

When the dog was pts in the house, we showed his brother, who didn’t care a damn, although they were very close normally. Possibly very bonded horses are very different.

Cremation versus giving the body to the hunt or a wildlife park, you mean? I dunno, depends if you do pts at the yard. I think the RVC don’t give you a choice, it’s cremation. It will also depend on any drugs used at the end. Gun if you want the body used, I think. I don’t think many places take it if the injection was used.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I think with the bonding, I know that if I take the other away from Tigs, he doesn't relax until he returns so worth trying anything to help him understand he's not coming back.

Question about disposal of the body wasn't aimed just at CT, just something that struck me. As far as I understand it they have to cremate if you use an injection so the method will affect what happens next but did wonder about the environmental impact of cremation.

windand rain

Visit site
Depends on what happens to the ashes if you want them back then it will have more of an impact than if the ashes go to be combined into bonemeal for the land

Mule

Visit site
Horses know when another horse has died, but they don't usually overreact. I have had to put down foals and always have the dam there so they can see them go down and spend a little time with the body afterwards. Usually they sniff the body and occasionally paw at them a little. Horses are much easier to deal with than over- emotional owners.
It must be very hard to have foals put down.

windand rain

Visit site
It is the first two foals we bred died on should have been PTS but he was a TB with derby winning sire so the vets tried too hard in spite of me saying let him go. Th filly was still born quite a few that year born in the bag. Foaled about 10 minutes after we went to have a cup of tea