PTS

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
So sorry BB's - it's the most heartbreaking decision. But one which it sounds as if you have made. Having gone through this in December last year it still touches a nerve, and you have my upmost sympathy.

Being practical about it though - I think you have to have permission to bury livestock (although if no one knows it's been done - then whose to say). Also if the horse has been on bute long term the hunt can only dispose of him by cremation. You can have the ashes back and perhaps scatter them in a special place. It's pricey (circa £3-400 for cremation).

I hope this is of some use.

Fiona_C

Visit site
As many others, I have tears rolling down my face reading this, i've never had to make this decision and my heart goes out to you Vix. If you want to chat, you know where I am.

xx

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
I'm sorry you have to face this, it never gets any better either when it's a horse you've owned a long time, we now have two that we have had for 20 years and a few more for 15 or more, and of course after that length of time they become a big part of your life.
I do feel that with a horse you know this well, it "tells" you when the time has come. He sounds as if his arthritis is getting worse, and possibly his tummy too if he is on painkillers, and most of all his actual eyes will warn you. They get a sort of far away look that isn't quite there and the brightness dulls if that sounds right.
You have to look at it from the point of view that since he belonged to you, he has had a wonderful life and deserves to end it in the same way, so it does take some planning.
Talk to your yard owner, if sheagrees and lives in a discreet backwater book the JCB and ensure the driver is happy to dig and cover despite knowing it's a covert operation.
Talk with the vet first. our vet sedates via an intrvenous injection, then whilst the horse stands happily eating adds a massive dose of anaesthetic which causes them to crumple to the ground, sometimes gracefully, sometimes with a thump..
This is the point where you need to remember when you have an op, you know nothing about it, so I assume horses must be the same. Over the next minute or so the heart stops, their legs sometimes twich a bit, but to all effects and purposes they go as peacefully as possible. Having witnessed many die I wish I could go like that!
If the yard owner refuses you need to contact a crematorium who will collect the body and dispose of it, if you want a private cremation it's expensive, a mixed one is around £175 for a big horse.
We send ordinary horses to the crem for a mixed collection, but when the stallion goes a big hole in a far off place will get dug under cover of darkness, he's not leaving the home he has lived in for so long I'm afraid..
It probably won't ba as bad as you fear, my experiences have all been positive apart from one mare who fought the drugs due to a massive build up of adreniline
this is one in maybe thirty I've seen? Don't get them shot is my advice, too traumatic for you, bloody and for a much loved horse, a bit of a barbaric end.
I know others will disagree but over the years I've used both methods, and the injection is a more dignified method for owner and horse..
Make the plans, then choose a date when he lets you know he has had enough, that way it doesn't feel pre meditated..
Hugs, you'll get through it...

tking

Visit site
I think it is always better done a day too early than a day too late, i had a pony with heart problems and i learnt this lesson after keeping him alive for my benefit, i could have saved him some suffering in the end, this is something i will have to live with, he was buried and i think it is lovely that you will be able to go and have a sit and a chat with him.
my thoughts are with you

MissDeMeena

Visit site
Sorry i can't offer any help.. but sending a big hug!!!!!!!
The only down side to owning horses!
My heart is with you!!
frown.gif

MagicMelon

Visit site
So sorry to hear this. Ive also never had to make this decision although one of mine is getting on a bit in years and I know eventually I'll also have to make the decision.

I think injection is the best way too. I watched a friends horse be PTS this way. He was buried in their field. This is a perfectly ok thing to do - ask your YO if the wood would be an ok place for him, Im sure she'll say its fine.

I think you just have to take the opinion of your vet (and even a second vet). Ask them what the outlook is on any form of pain killer etc. If is is only to keep him going a few months then obviously its probably not worth it. But if its for a few years then Id say it is as long as he would be perfectly happy and not suffering. It is so important not to get to the point where the horse suffers (and cannot come better) because then you might regret doing it too late. x

TURBOBERT

Visit site
Oh Vicky - the tears are rolling down my cheeks as I read you story. I have had to have two put to sleep in the last few years and it is so distressing. We now have two that are getting on in yearsboth of whom we have had for 10 years and we are despirately fond of them and I dread the day the decision has to be made.
Think of the good times and be comforted in knowing that you are doing the best for him at the end. Big hugs xxx

Doreys_Mum

Visit site
I wrote a poem for these circumstances, Vix. Thought it might help - as it did me when I had Carrie PTS.

And so it is said that my time has come
As I lay my head down forever to sleep
Safe in the surrounding of this place I call home
Safe with your love in my heart to keep
It broke your heart to let me go
But it’s what I wanted, that you know.

Every creature, great or small
Yearns for a home filled with care
Joy and happiness, no fear at all
And for an owner who was always there
I was lucky, I found such a home
So for my whole life I new I was never alone

You gave me food till my belly was full
And water till my thirst quenched
You never kicked and you never did pull
And still hugged me even when drenched
My life was happy and my health was good
And together we did what all partners should

But at the end of my days, when my time has come
There is just one more thing you need do
I don’t need retirement, nor a new home
I need you to be strong and to let me go
For a horse is no horse when his body is done
And a friend is no friend when his spirit is gone

And so as I said, my time has come
So I lay my head down forever to sleep
Safe in the surrounding of this place I call home
Safe with your love in my heart to keep
You gave me the last thing I could ever need
This old weary horse, to new pastures, you freed.

barkinghorse

Visit site
BBS, as some one said to me last week after i made the desicion to let Jess go, We have to be cruel to ourselves to be kind to them.
My heart goes out to you, because although you know you made the right decision, it doesn't make the pain of losing a friend any less.
Sending you lots of hugs
Jo xxxxxxxx

JACQSZOO

Visit site
I am so sorry to hear your sad news. I too went through exactly the same as you a few weeks ago. I had to have my mare that I had had for 16 years PTS through navicular and arthirtus.
I settled for the injection and it was extremely peaceful, she was then taken away and cremated. I choose not to have the ashes back, and have planted a weeping willow in my garden.
If you need to chat, or mull over what you need to do please pm me.
And talk. The people on here are fantastic and I certainly would'nt have been able to get through it without their support and understanding.
My thoughts are with you xxx
I too have a poem that was sent to me by some friends.
My Wish
If the day should come when I'm in pain,
And you know I won't be well again,
Promise you'll do what must be done,
If this is the battle that can't be won.

It'll break your heart, but please be kind,
Don't let your grieving sway your mind.
For this is when you'll let me see
Just how much you do love me.

Together we've had happy years
The future now can hold no fears.
Please don't let me suffer so
When that days comes, please let me go.

For my usual vet please will you send?
But stay with me until the end.
Hold me steady, speak to me
Till my once bright eyes no longer see.

In time I hope you'll come to see
It's the last kindness you'll do for me
One more time please stroke my mane
And know that I'll have no more pain.

And don't be sad that it was you
Who decided this was what to do.
We've been such buddies through the years
Don't let me be the cause of tears.

You'll always see me graze now,
with the sun upon my back
Painful limbs won't tire me now,
however long the hack.

I live now in your heart and mind,
a lovely place to stay.
And what you have in memories,
no one can take away.

Shirley Cruiswick.

Honeyb060674

Visit site
Sat at work with a huge lump in my throat and tears in my eyes, what a beautiful poem Jacqs. I can't imagine how difficult that decision must be and its one I am dreading. Sending you lots of hugs BB, hope you can be strong through this hun x

M_G

Visit site
Vix I have no experience of having a horse PTS I am just sending big hugs to you.
He is a very lucky lad to have such a caring and loving owner

xxxxx