Public liablity ins... is it legally required?

liveryblues

Visit site
Thanks all for you advice. I am not "trying to catch yo out" lol isnt it amazing how the flat written word can be so misinterpreted! I have left the yard, it was being run as " a very professional yard" but there were so many health and safety concerns! The biggest to my mind was the harrow that lived in the corner of the school (yes thats right, never taken out!). I dont believe the YO to be honest or trustworthy so voted with my feet :)
As horse owners we do everything for our neds, worm, shoe, train, school, INSURE lol! So why is it a YO feels they can take your livery fee( a business transaction?) if the yard if run as a business ( which it is allegedly!) then fail to provide sufficient insurance if an incident occurred where they were negligent?
Anyway I phoned BHS and a business by law must have employers insurance If staff are employed (it must be displayed) said YO had no such certificate ( not my prob I know, as I wasnt staff but when asked YO refused to produce it) Staff have since left!
For a business Custody care and control insurance is also a legal requirement.
I know the odds are very slim but if my horse causes an accident my insurance covers it, So why would I put myself at risk on a yard that does not have adequate insurance if I had an accident? ( slim chance again but who knows!)
Some yards I have been on will tell you that insurance does not cover riding without hats, etc so will not permit it ( under any circumstance), others say its your choice! I am inclined to believe those who enforce their insurance requirements are more serious about the care of myself and my horse :)
I very happy were I am now, all above board, out in the open, Lovely YO, with insurance certs displayed!
PS its wasnt all about the insurance but A YO who refuses to answer polite questions (while taking livery monies for a business) is one to be avoided :)

Last edited:

wallykissmas

Visit site
By law the only insurance that you have to have is national insurance payments, car insurance and employers liability.

case895

Visit site
That would be mad because it depends that the person seeking redress having neither the personal means or an insurer who is prepared to persue them.

Its not mad. Its a calculated risk, backed up with asset protection (house, etc. not in your own name, cash held abroad, trade as a company owned by another company, owned by a company in somewhere like Isle of Man).