Puffy ankles lol on show horse...

seaview

Visit site
Hi everyone as post explains my gelding continually has puffy ankles,
these dont go down with work or being out all day etc etc
I know propbably winegals but does anyone think bandaging would help or the wraps,
would there be any benefit of using bandages over wraps, would prefer the wraps as crap at bandaging!
I have had him xrayed and nothing to worry about as first thought was DJD
crazy.gif

he is 5 in good condition not overweight by any stretch of the imagination,

The only problem I do ahve with him is he has very flat feet which farrier is working on!

Thanks in advance

Nat
x

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Do you ever feed him epsom salts?? Apparantly that can help with swelling. Someone else will have to say why cos I can't remember...............

Evil_Cookie

Visit site
What about having him live out 24/7 then he would constantly be moving so they wouldn't fill up. Failing that, veredus magnetic stable wraps are supposed to be good for that sort of thing.

fjudge

Visit site
Ice blue (gel stuff) is quite good for cooling and reducing swelling. I put it on skye before jumping or working on hard ground. You can put it on neat then wash it off after. I cant say it works wanders, but there is such a cooling feeling on your own hands that it must do something to them?!

Worth a go? The tub lasts a fair while
smile.gif

Paint it Lucky

Visit site
You could try bangading them at night and also when doing any road work or work on hard surfaces o support the area and stop them getting any bigger. Also you could try cold hosing the area, though if this is an old problem it won't really help but it will stop the windgalls getting worse. I would avoid work on hard ground as this is generally a cause of windgalls and he is clearly prone to them.

seaview

Visit site
Thanks amymay will try that I actually had heard it helps with people so should have thought about the gee gees!

24 7 isnt an option for him because he turns into a complete and utter pratt!

Painted lucky do you think the thermatex wraps would be as good? Also he is basically never anywhere without boots lol!

Nat
x

I actually ahve ice blue so no harm in trying taht would you cover it?

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
Sounds like articular or tendinous windgalls....and once they're there, they are always likely to refill.
As a temporary measure you can try turning out (in case the movement helps them go down), or bandaging to reduce the swelling.
In my experience, though, they tend to sneak back again - but they don't cause any harm, usually so why worry!
S
smile.gif

seaview

Visit site
Thats the thing FMM they dont which is why I am concerned he is a small hunter and a nice type (me biased never lol) and I really dont wnat this spoiling things for us
frown.gif

Going to google magnetic wraps now
I saw in another post by you about the Dress circle lyrca body suits do you really rate them?
Natalie
x

Paint it Lucky

Visit site
I don't think thermatex wraps would be as good as bandages as they're not as supportive. You could try bandaging him at night then putting ice blue on during the day especially after you have worked him (but don't put it on prior to working as it will make the tendons less stretchy due to being coldso could predispose to injury). If you just want to get them down so you can show him then bandage for a few nights before the show and possibly on the way there if you are boxing.