puffy fetlock, any ideas?

lennysmith

Visit site
My friend and I are at a loss with her boy.

He was playing silly buggers with the foal over the fence when he turned a tight circle and stopped. We thought then he'd done something.

No heat, not at all lame. By the morning it was swollen. It was going down with turnout and cold hosing. But the past couple of days it's got heat in it and turout/ excercise has done nothing to bring it down.

We are cold hosing and putting on ice blue stuff (think thats what it's called) but nothing is bringing it down. He's not lame at all, which is why she hasn't called the vet yet.

Any ideas out there as to what it could be or how to treat it? I think if it hasn't immmproved by tomorrow eve she'll be having the vet out. But thought I'd ask you lot for any bright ideas.

Thankies xxxx

parsley

Visit site
Bomber has had very similar symptoms - came in with swollen rear fetlock - in my case it didn't really go down with cold hosing - took him to the vet after a week and after scanning and xrays the vet said he has synovitus - inflamation of the synovial lining of the joint. He had two weeks box rest with twice a day hosing, but it didn't go down. Took him back to see the vet - saw my usuall one this time. He said that the tendon had been strained, but in his experience it didn't go on to cause a problem but that it would always be swollen. He recommended another two weeks rest in the field.

Your freinds horse could be something completly different but as you say - get it checked by the vet if it doesn't improve.

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
We've got a front leg thing, slight puffiness immediately above fetlock - no heat, no lameness and it varies from being not there at all to a lot less than when it appeared - we gave him three days off and when he wenk beserk in the field, decided he'd be better off being ridden. That's as far as we have got - and we have no idea why the swelling appeared in the first place.

TrecPeter

www.alwena.com
Some of that sounds like a Windgall to me.
My horse gets them just above & behind his hind fetlocks after he's worked a lot.
We've tried giving him a homeopathic dose of "Apis mellifica" and it seems to work quite well to clear the swellings.
My wife's idea - I was a bit sceptic at first, but it did work!

lennysmith

Visit site
Lost all access to pc this week, but thanks for the replies. The swelling is still there, and def not going down with turnout/excercise. He's not lame at all so thats good. juding from the replies you've left I dont think she should worry too much.

Thanks as always peeps xxxx

_jetset_

Visit site
I know this sounds silly, but could he have done something like twisted his ankle? If not, it does sound like a windgall... have you tried putting some Ibruleve on it (have used it on my girl's windgalls and brings them down)?

BBs

Visit site
LMAO Yes I thought the same thing too BandJ
smirk.gif

However, Mr Canaliculus - you are breaking terms and condidtions - in every post you have ever responded too you have advertised a website! are you on commission?