Puffy Legs : Also in Vet

Cliqmo

Visit site
Some of you might recall last week I started a thread about whether or not to bring my YO's 26yr old gelding into work.
Well following that thread (thanks to all who posted) I have been working him a little this week and got on him to wander around the arena for 5 minutes yesterday -he absolutely loved it!
However today when I was down there I noticed his front legs were both quite filled, although there was no heat or lameness I cold hosed them for about 10mins to help soothe them but I don't really know what else to do, and whether this means his ridden days are over??...
Any advice would be much appreciated

hellybelly6

Visit site
It could indicate a problem with tendons. Was this why he was retired in the first place?

I would carry on as he is enjoying it so much and not lame and monitor his legs carefully and closely.

Cliqmo

Visit site
Thanks Highlandponylass! He only stopped being ridden because his 60yr old owner didn't want to ride any more, he was retired absolutely sound with no problems at all
tongue.gif

I've been up to the stables this morning and they are back to normal today
grin.gif
Phew!!

hellybelly6

Visit site
thats good news. It could just be that he was not used to his bit of exercise.

Things to look out for are obviously lameness, swelling with heat etc.

The fact the swelling has gone down is good news and its good that he was not retired due to lameness/tendon problems.

Take things extra slowly and gently with him, monitor him closely - as you are doing and he should be fine.