Puffy legs in the morning

jcberry

Visit site
Oscar seems to have 'puffy' legs in the morining, when he comes out from his stable. Esp. his back ones. there is no heat in them what so ever. But the 'puffiness' wares away when ridden or excersised. Could it be he is stuck in his stable for a long time? they are in scince 2 pm untill 9 am in the morning? He has quite a small stable, it used to be a tack room, but it is big enough for him to go in, as had bigger horse in there before? Any Ideas?
Thanks x

Rachel_M

Visit site
Perhaps a circulation problem?

Ask the vet to have a look to see if there is anything showing on x-rays with the joint.

What do you bed on? Perhaps a little more cushioning on the floor or sides might help.

Chex

Visit site
I imagine it from standing still for too long? Not sure, but would have thought being turned out for longer would help (providing its not something more serious)

dozzie

Visit site
So long as there is no lameness or heat then IMO there isnt anything to worry about. Its really quite common. This happens to some of mine and once they go out it goes down. Think its just lack of movement. However, I always check that it has gone down when I bring them in. If not, then I would worry.

shadowboy

Visit site
when shadow was at a yard that had really small boxes he was the same. The vet advised stable wraps in the night to keep the legs warm and therefore encourage blood flow during the night which may help with drainage. It worked to an extent. However as seen as we moved yards where the boxes were bigger so he could acually take a little wander and snuffle round his stable there was no puffyness and to this date he is only puffy if in for more than 24 hours...

jcberry

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps a circulation problem?

Ask the vet to have a look to see if there is anything showing on x-rays with the joint.

What do you bed on? Perhaps a little more cushioning on the floor or sides might help.

[/ QUOTE ]

Straw
grin.gif
and he eats it
tongue.gif

pfarrugia

Visit site
my horse has this problem so I got the global herbs supplement called lymphblend. It's excellent stuff - his legs have not come up since.

Nothing to worry about tho - it just may make him/her feel better if you can do something about it!

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
How old is he? Puffy legs is very common, particularly as horses get older and their circulation gets a tad poorer (just as with people).

Wrapping legs can indeed help, although this tends to be more like masking the problem than actually doing much about it.

There is also the option of magnotherapy which increases the circulation through the body.

As summer comes and he's out more, you'll probably find it goes away. Larger boxes, as someone else mentioned, can help also. Either way, i really wouldnt worry.

Scarlett1980

Visit site
sounds like he's just stood in for quite a long time. maybe get him one of those ballsthey kick and nuts come up so he moves around more or you could try winergy ventilate. its a respiratory supplement but we use it for any form of inflamation as its a brilliant source of antioxidants.

has worked a treat on our puffy legged boys!

MagicMelon

Visit site
Yeah, lots of horses get puffy legs from not being able to move around much. Once they are turned out they should go back down again quickly. Mine gets puffy hind legs if kept in, even overnight. Turn the horse out 24/7 and you wont have this problem at all! Id be very wary if the horses stable is too small..... wont be doing him any good at all.

abbi

Visit site
My 4 yr old has just started getting filled legs in the mornings, can I just bandage the back two or is it best to do all 4?